Diabetes - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diabetes (Type 1, Type 2).
The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

I was a healthy 27 year old female when I found out. I had been training for a half marathon for a few months and had lost about 15 pounds, was thirsty, urinated more often than normal and had severe cramping in my legs at night. I chalked everything up to increased exercise. I had a cold/flu for about 2 weeks when I had some blood work done. My sugar was 627! I was diagnosed very quickly with Type 1 Diabetes. That day was certainly etched in my mind. But, I do feel like a new person and am probably healthier now than before!.

After reviewing a letter written by my doctor, where I read he had prescribed Celebrex for me due to pain of Arthritis which had really messed up my neck, back and knees, I found that one of the side effects of Celebrex is Diabetes. I have Type 2, now, and have been being treated for it for over three years. I am keeping it under control, but it's not easy and I have a tendency to mess up when I cannot afford my medications. I am retired, living on a fixed income and money is hard to come by. As noted in the Celebrex info, this can also work into hypoglycemia. Just loads of fun here, huh?.