Colonoscopy - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy.
How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?

My preparation was really not as bad as I'd expected. Liquid diet the day before the procedure, which was my preparation day. At 1:00 pm I drank a 10 oz. bottle of magnesium citrate followed by a glass of water. At 4:00 pm I took 4 Dulcolax tablets with a glass of water. At 6:00 pm I mixed a 238 gram bottle of Miralax with a 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade in a pitcher and drank this over the next 2 hours. Diarrhea started at about 7:00 pm and lasted intermittently until about midnight. I was not in the bathroom the entire time, but had 7 to 10 trips total. The morning of the procedure I had 2 to 3 bathroom visits. All in all, not that bad. The day before the prep day, I ate relatively lightly. The Miralax and Gatorade prep is the way to 'go'. Pun intended..

Published: April 20

I give kudos to my doctor. I had an easy, breezy preparation, exam and recovery. The diet several days before and liquid diet 1 day before was easy also. The prep medicines were all over-the-counter. The day before the exam, I took 4 Dulcolax tablets at 4 pm, and drank 16 oz. of my Gatorade mix which was 48 oz. of Miralax mixed into 32 oz. of Gatorade and chilled in fridge until ready to take. The mix is split into two portions taken 6 to 7 hours apart after you take 4 Dulcolax tablets. The time on the potty for me was also easy. I got to rest from 10:00 pm until the next dose of Gatorade at 1:00 pm. The day of the procedure at 8:00 am I was given IV propofol and anti-nausea medication. I counted backward from 100 and did not make it to 98 when I went out and woke up after the procedure feeling great. I was discharged by 10 am and was on my way to grab something for breakfast. My test was clean, no lesions or polyps. My 84 year old father was diagnosed with colon cancer the summer before. I did not want to go through what he did with chemotherapy, radiation, surgery and the permanent loss of his rectum and anus. He is now 88, going strong and happy to be alive even though he has to put up with a colostomy..