Colonoscopy - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy.
How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?

Published: April 12

Preparation for colonoscopy was limited roughage 2 days before, liquid diet 1 day before. I started drinking preparation at 3:30 pm the day before. I didn't like the taste or the amount but it worked quickly and thoroughly. I reported to the hospital at 8:30 am. Very caring doctors and nurses. I remember being wheeled into the procedure room, talking to a person I knew and then woke up in recovery. No pain, no memories. Due to a kink the doctor couldn't get past, and I ended up having a barium enema with x-rays. Not pleasant but caring technicians made it bearable. This was my second colonoscopy. I was out for the first one also. No problems. Will do it again if needed..

My preparation was really not as bad as I'd expected. Liquid diet the day before the procedure, which was my preparation day. At 1:00 pm I drank a 10 oz. bottle of magnesium citrate followed by a glass of water. At 4:00 pm I took 4 Dulcolax tablets with a glass of water. At 6:00 pm I mixed a 238 gram bottle of Miralax with a 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade in a pitcher and drank this over the next 2 hours. Diarrhea started at about 7:00 pm and lasted intermittently until about midnight. I was not in the bathroom the entire time, but had 7 to 10 trips total. The morning of the procedure I had 2 to 3 bathroom visits. All in all, not that bad. The day before the prep day, I ate relatively lightly. The Miralax and Gatorade prep is the way to 'go'. Pun intended..