Colonoscopy - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy.
How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?

My colonoscopy was pretty miserable. Preparing for it was not much fun but it was tolerable, but the actual procedure was extremely painful. Whatever medicines they gave me to sedate me did just the opposite. The nurse said that I would start to feel sleepy and it was like PING I was wide awake. It hurt so bad that I started crying and asked the doctor to stop. He never spoke to me or slowed down the procedure. He did find a couple polyps so I am glad I did the procedure and now I have to have it done every five years, but I will certainly discuss my concerns with a different doctor before the next colonoscopy..

Prep was Golytely and not an issue. The colonoscopy was terrible, and like most patients, I was given Versed to cause amnesia (I wasn't warned about the amnesia and it was very distressing). I’m still suffering memory loss months later. I was treated roughly because they assumed that I would not remember the colonoscopy. I remember the horrible pain and the smug nurse and doctor laughing that "she won't remember any of this." I sure do remember. I'll never get another sedated test. I'm an ICU nurse with a master's degree..