Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar).
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hypoglycemia?

I got told i was having a low blood sugar attack by the doctor when i was 15. I can remember my first attack like it was yesterday (i'm 26 now). I was in the bus station when i started to feel sick, my vision went and i couldn't walk properly. My friend helped me onto the bus. When i sat down my vision returned and i was dripping in sweat especially on my forehead. I had nothing to eat that day and was showing symptoms by 2:45pm. It is very scary to go through that when you don't know why it's happening. My doctor told me not to skip meals and carry something sweet with me all the time. I have been out on a 'night out' and had blackouts out a few times even though i've not been drunk. So it's true that alcohol affects it. I have had a few episodes since but i know now when i need to get something to eat. I get irratable and feel severe hunger to the point of feeling sick. Symptoms stop as soon as i get food.I normally carry glucose tablets with me. Does anyone know if i am more at risk of developing diabetes? I have no other health problems. I've been tested for diabetes and it was negative..

I lost 50 pounds on a low carbohydrate diet in a 6 month period. After that I stayed on a relatively low carb diet for the next 2 years. Recently I begin blacking out and was hospitalized with severe hypoglycemia. The urgent care doctor called me pre-seizure. My sugar drops into the 40's and 60's even after eating. I am now including complex carbs in my diet but am still having episodes. My doctors suspect insulinoma but have not found it yet. I am a 57 year old woman, weigh 151 at 5'6". This low carb diet was not based on Atkins and was pretty balanced, including fruit and veggies. It did include a drug call phendimetrazine. The doctors I talked to in the hospital said that this was a bad drug and that it should be taken off the market. I had taken this medication while dieting for approximately 8 months. I am hoping that the dieting did not cause this problem but I have a feeling it did..