Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia).
How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

I have been diagnosed with low potassium (hypokalemia) and the doctors failed to make a definitive diagnosis as to its underlying cause. It turns out the real culprit was something called hyperaldosteronism. It is a disorder which is defined by the body's overproduction of aldosterone, a hormone that controls sodium and potassium levels in the blood. Its overproduction leads to retention of salt and loss of potassium, which leads to hypertension (high blood pressure)..

My low potassium (hypokalemia) was discovered from a routine blood test. My potassium was around a 2.0 but I felt fine. I always workout for 4 straight hours on Saturdays with no issues. I do a lot of athletic races including a couple half marathons and several triathlons. Maybe I'm just lucky. My doctor did start me on high doses of potassium, but no matter how much I consumed, my number was still low. So instead I take 30 mg of amiloride, which blocks potassium from leaving your body. I feel no different with or without medication but I suppose it’s the safe thing to do..