Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia).
How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

I noticed my blood pressure not lowering and staying at 148/90 so I got worried and went to the doctor. I also started feeling heart palpitations. More so when I would lie down of relax. I got the blood results and my potassium is 3.2 which is lower than normal. Previously I was taking water pills. About 5 months ago I took potassium supplements and I'm still low. I'm also experiencing headaches. I guess I have to take supplements again..

I started having symptoms of unusually high levels of bloating, and unable to put my rings on. I also noticed right-sided pain at times in my gallbladder area. I have been tired, and lately have been waking up at night with numbness and tingling in my arms. I have been taking multi-vitamins and vitamin D3 supplements, so I had no idea that I was potassium deficient. I finally went to the doctor after I was gaining weight rapidly, and my stomach looked like I was 5 months pregnant. I also noticed that my heart rate was much higher than normal throughout the day. I wear an Apple watch, and it monitors it frequently. After I went to the doctor, he thought my symptoms were due to irritable bowel syndrome. I got my blood work done, and it showed that my potassium was low and I had hypokalemia. I am still waiting to see how he will manage that, but I did find potassium supplements to take, and I will drink Smart water. Hopefully my doctor will find out what is causing the low potassium..