Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia).
How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

I started having symptoms of unusually high levels of bloating, and unable to put my rings on. I also noticed right-sided pain at times in my gallbladder area. I have been tired, and lately have been waking up at night with numbness and tingling in my arms. I have been taking multi-vitamins and vitamin D3 supplements, so I had no idea that I was potassium deficient. I finally went to the doctor after I was gaining weight rapidly, and my stomach looked like I was 5 months pregnant. I also noticed that my heart rate was much higher than normal throughout the day. I wear an Apple watch, and it monitors it frequently. After I went to the doctor, he thought my symptoms were due to irritable bowel syndrome. I got my blood work done, and it showed that my potassium was low and I had hypokalemia. I am still waiting to see how he will manage that, but I did find potassium supplements to take, and I will drink Smart water. Hopefully my doctor will find out what is causing the low potassium..

I had severe joint pain for a month and a half; no idea what caused it. It started in my feet, moved up to my knees, hips, arms, shoulders, wrists and fingers. I would wake up with my joints so stiff and painful it would take 20 minutes for me to get moving off my bed! I couldn't lift my hands above my head, couldn't put on my bra, it hurt to sit, hurt to get up, and hurt to stand. I tried cutting out sugar, gluten, and other known allergens. I tried different supplements and nothing worked. Then I bought a coconut at the store because my kids hadn't had real coconut before. They were all excited to try the coconut water, but they didn't like it, so I drank it. The next day I wasn't so sore, so I drank the rest of the coconut water and improvement the next day also! So I went to the health food store and bought coconut water. I drink a glass every day. And now I can walk, run, play with my kids, dress myself! I still have occasional stiffness in my hands, but nothing like it was before. I know that coconut water has a lot of potassium in it and although my potassium levels were never checked, I was tested for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, both which came back negative..