Shingles - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

I get shingles on my left lower face. Same place always. It gets tender and then erupts. I always treated it with a mix of bag balm, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda mixed into a cream, heavy on baking soda. It took more than 10 days or more to heal. This time I started at first sign of tenderness. After 3 days it has gone away and never erupted. It's dry and a bit scaly and tenderness is gone with no sign of blisters or open wound. Hope I have found something that works..

I started with a bad headache on the one side of the back of my head and it was very sensitive to touch. I would go to sleep with a headache and wake up with one; at one stage I didn't know if it was my tooth or my ear causing the headache, everything was so sensitive. I started with two red marks above my eyelid and I thought maybe a mosquito had bitten me. The next day my eye was swollen and each day it just got worse. By the fourth day since I saw the 2 red marks I had a red rash and blisters on my forehead, my eye and my scalp. I can’t even touch it, it is so painful. I'm on my second day of antibiotics I hope it goes away soon. My eye is almost closed it is so swollen and I have to be careful when I want to rub the itchy blisters because they pop so easily when they are big. I have been told to take L-lysine tablets (together with the antibiotics) and to mix half a Disprin and a bit of fresh lemon juice into aqueous cream and smear it on the affected area. I am going to give it a try..