Shingles - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

I started with a bad headache on the one side of the back of my head and it was very sensitive to touch. I would go to sleep with a headache and wake up with one; at one stage I didn't know if it was my tooth or my ear causing the headache, everything was so sensitive. I started with two red marks above my eyelid and I thought maybe a mosquito had bitten me. The next day my eye was swollen and each day it just got worse. By the fourth day since I saw the 2 red marks I had a red rash and blisters on my forehead, my eye and my scalp. I can’t even touch it, it is so painful. I'm on my second day of antibiotics I hope it goes away soon. My eye is almost closed it is so swollen and I have to be careful when I want to rub the itchy blisters because they pop so easily when they are big. I have been told to take L-lysine tablets (together with the antibiotics) and to mix half a Disprin and a bit of fresh lemon juice into aqueous cream and smear it on the affected area. I am going to give it a try..

I am a 63 year old female, I got shingles in July of this year and I am still fighting it. It started on my scalp as a burning pain, then on my forehead; blisters started on my scalp down onto my forehead. The pain was unbearable and there is swelling between my skin and the skull cap. It has not gone away yet, I have been on two antibiotics and almost lost the vision in my right eye. An eye specialist put me on Lotemax gel eye drops and it shaved my vision. However the swelling and some pain remain on my head. Still on Lotemax and gabapentin for the eye and nerve damage. I still having fevers from time to time as well..