Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis.
What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?

Published: March 26

My pancreatitis symptoms started suddenly. I got horrible pain in the center of my stomach and radiating around to my back. It felt like hot fingernails clawing me. It was worse than giving birth to all three of my children! I also had a lot of nausea and diarrhea, so I thought it was my irritable bowel. I ended up have a couple if endoscopies in which the doctor couldn't find anything. Finally one day, I had an attack and passed out on the toilet from the pain! Every time I had an attack, I would get blood red from my breast to the tip of my head, and the palms of my hands, and the soles of my feet would burn. I would get short of breath and feel like I was dying! I've even told my family goodbye because I couldn't imagine having that much pain and living through it! Emergency medical technicians came and took me to the hospital and I asked for a different gastroenterologist. Thank goodness I did, because he found I had pancreatitis and that my duct leading into the pancreas was too small and needed to be stretched and a stent put in. I lost 40 lb. in a month and a half! People couldn't believe I recovered so quickly!.

I first got pancreatitis on a business trip. My family always had gastrointestinal (GI) issues so I thought I just had to ride it out, and it ended up so bad I had to go to an emergency room (ER). My symptoms were achy, queasy sensation on top of the gut just under the chest and all the way from left to right, not extremely intense but very bothersome and worrisome, intensifying after eating or drinking anything, even water, very gassy out of both ends with a taste like popcorn that just went bad, a constant desire to urinate or move your bowels even if there is nothing there like as if I had kidney stones, and constant light nausea that will intensify periodically. I am not sure if I was told this in the clinic or read it or both, but heard that some less urgent cases could be solved by dilating the GI tract which could be done by intensively bearing down on the toilet or inducing vomiting, and it has worked personally on a few occasions but not always..