Tailbone Pain - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia).
What was the treatment for your tailbone pain?

Four days ago I fell down wooden stairs landing on my tailbone. The pain was extreme and immediate. I started blacking out but somehow managed to drag myself up the stairs and into the recovery position. My phone was nearby, but I had trouble ringing the emergency services as I kept blacking out. When I did, I just lay there till they came. They tried to get me to sit up which was impossible and took me to hospital where x-rays showed a badly broken coccyx. Strong painkillers were administered and I was told it would take two months to recover from it. Because I live alone they kept me in overnight. Friends and neighbors have been wonderful, bringing food, walking the dog, and vacuuming. I feel very lucky that the fracture wasn't centimeters higher up which could have meant loss of the use of my legs..

Published: June 23

I have had tailbone pain for almost 5 years. I am not sure what caused it; I do remember falling heavily whilst climbing over a small fence and sort of jarring my back (I fell very heavily onto one leg but remained upright). The pain actually began shortly afterwards whilst I was travelling by car; it just got worse and worse and it has never gone. I cannot sit at all on soft seats now; no, the pain is too much! I can sit briefly on hard wooden seats if I lean forward to take all weight off my coccyx. I can't sit like that for long! (I don't go far!) When I have had to sit (very briefly) then I have coccyx pain, pelvic pain, internal pain, severe horrible pain which means I can't bear to move. I just have to lay down with hot water bottles for my pelvic pain, and ice on my coccyx. I have had different medicines (not very helpful), physiotherapy (made it worse), and acupuncture (helped a little). For almost 5 years I have avoided sitting at all times. I crouch down, I lay down (on my side) and I keep moving. If I haven't sat, then I can walk without pain. Travelling is a nightmare. I sit on a car tire inner tube (my coccyx hovers over the hole of the tire) but can only manage 40 minute journey time, absolute maximum! It's been life-changing; I hardly go anywhere, I hope it will heal one day! Good luck to everyone with this injury, wishing us all one day full recoveries and pain-free sitting!.