Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite.
What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

I first noticed a stinging on my upper abdomen on Friday morning. It appeared like a boil or a pimple. By Monday it had gotten quite large and in the shape of a volcano, with a tiny dead area in the center with some redness and lots of pain around it. I saw my doctor on Monday and received a sulfamethoxazole based antibiotic. Today is day 6. A larger toughness is felt around the brown recluse spider bite. The redness is still present but the center seems to be healing. I know a product called Talstar that kills all spiders like wild, and believe me I have sprayed my home very well inside and out..

Published: June 29

I was painting a shutter on front of house Saturday morning last week. I had a ladder straddling a bush, and as I climbed down I was bitten in inner thigh. I tried to knock the spider to walk way but missed, but I saw it was a brown recluse. I ran in to the house and tried to squeeze venom out as I washed it 3 times. I went and put Benadryl gel on the wound. The bite burned like crazy. The pain lessened over the day, but I did feel very nauseous and achy. Sunday, it felt tender but only looked like a mosquito bite, I still felt achy and dizzy. I ran around with kids all day and walked 4 miles that night. Monday I woke up with the area bright red (about 3 inch diameter), and pain and swelling in an 8 inch diameter area. I went to the emergency room and was given a strong oral antibiotic and Neosporin to apply. Red area doubled in size by Tuesday morning, and became larger Wednesday morning. I noticed a decrease Wednesday night; guess the antibiotic was working. By Thursday night, it was down to under an inch in diameter and swelling has gone down. I still have 6 more days of antibiotics, but I feel way better..