Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite.
What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Published: December 30

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my upper left thigh, and the pain was unbearable. I went to the emergency room, where they did an ultra sound and sent me home with two weeks of antibiotics. By the second week the fever and pain had me out of my mind, so I went to a health clinic and as soon as the doctor had seen it, he had sent me for surgery. I cannot tell you the pain I endured, they cut my leg open 6 to 7 inches to drain. It has been 8 weeks and I still feel the burning..

Published: December 11

I was working in my shed in the evening. The next morning, I noticed a red pimple on my leg just above the knee. I didn't think much about it until later that day, I noticed that it had gotten bigger to about the size of a dime. I squeezed some gobs of pus out of it and noticed it was turning blackish and had a red ring around it with pain extending about 2 inches around it. I went to the walk-in clinic and the physician’s assistant didn't seem too concerned and gave me some antibiotic Keflex and Tylenol-3. A couple days later it was about the size of a 50 cent piece. This time I went to the emergency room. Pretty much the same reaction; said to take some antibiotic (Bactrim) and pain killers. I happened to have an appointment with my orthopedist about another matter when I casually mentioned that something had bitten me. He took one look and immediately sent me to a colleague that very hour. When I arrived there the second doctor said, 'I need to cut that out now'. I was a little surprised because I didn't think it was that serious. He scheduled me for surgery that afternoon and admitted me into the hospital and put me on IV antibiotics. He did surgery about an hour later. I had two bites, he took about a golf ball sized chunk of flesh out of one and a ping pong size out of the other. I go in tomorrow to have him repack the holes left by the bites. Brown recluse spider bites are nothing to be taken lightly..