Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo.
What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Published: April 13

I had first vertigo episode rolling over in bed five years ago. Terrible vertigo for several days with residual effects lasting six weeks. I went to the ENT and diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) and given exercises to do. I thought it worked but it came back and then I was taught the Epley maneuver. First, to figure out what ear was the problem doctor performed Dix-Hallpike procedure. He laid me back with head extended over bed and whatever side brought on the vertigo was the ear infected with loose crystals. Secondly I learned Epley maneuver for the ear with the problem (mine was left ear). Over the next few years I had three more episodes all running their course in about six weeks. Since then I have had one and a half years of no vertigo but do notice residual effects, i.e., feeling a little off at times. Today had a vertigo episode, performed a Dix-Hallpike on myself, again it was my left ear and I did an Epley. I feel okay and hopefully this episode will not last as long as others. Here is what I have learned doing research on this and why it happens. I believe BPPV is caused by two situations. One is long term uncontrollable stress and then a major life stress causing a heightened nervous system and the other is allergy, infections, colds, sinusitis, sleep apnea or anything that narrows the upper airway (especially sleeping or bad sleep) which also causes stress on the inner ear. Result of these two factors is vertigo. I got the stress information from a study and a doctor, as well as everyone who I've known who had BPPV. They all say they has serious uncontrollable life situations/stress prior to their first episode..

I'm a 43 year old male. I am experiencing vertigo for the last two years. My symptoms start with a feeling of motion in the abdomen, followed by a ringing in the ears and then a feeling as though I am walking on a moving ship. Sometimes, it brings nausea and tightness of the chest. Once or twice has brought on an anxiety attack. The vertigo attack usually last about 30 minutes. Have been to doctor numerous times but not getting any help. I am now awaiting an appointment with an ear nose and throat specialist..