Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo.
What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

I'm a 43 year old male. I am experiencing vertigo for the last two years. My symptoms start with a feeling of motion in the abdomen, followed by a ringing in the ears and then a feeling as though I am walking on a moving ship. Sometimes, it brings nausea and tightness of the chest. Once or twice has brought on an anxiety attack. The vertigo attack usually last about 30 minutes. Have been to doctor numerous times but not getting any help. I am now awaiting an appointment with an ear nose and throat specialist..

I am suffering from a bout of vertigo right now. I seem to get it at the same time every year. I feel it has to do with exposure to mold and fungi spores. It is late September and everything is going to seed. After the humidity of summer, I figure as the air becomes drier and the wind picks up, the more the spores circulate. My vertigo seems to start out not so bad then progresses to the kind where I dare not move my head. Nausea, lightheadedness, mild pain and noise in the ears come along with it. It goes away the same way it comes on, gradually becoming milder and milder until one day I forget I ever had it. Less salt helps too, so does avoiding caffeine in all forms. I hate putting a name to the disorder, because then I tend to see myself as sick with something, which causes stress and stress makes it last longer since my attention is on every movement I make and how I am feeling with every movement. Even though vertigo is a rotten thing, I do appreciate the balance mechanisms of my body when they are working right. People who've never had this can't appreciate how precise these little systems are that keep us walking upright..