Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst.
What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?

I was 28 when I had the cyst. It was removed surgically with just a local. While that was painful, the follow up cleaning and packing was when I experienced the excruciating pain. Unfortunately, now at 55, I am developing another one. The medical information states that this happens to young men; and usually not to anyone over 40. I'm a 55 year old female. Why can't I get those odds when I'm playing the lottery?.

I had a pilonidal cyst at the age of about 17-18. It took 4 sets of antibiotics (over 4 weeks), seeing 3 different GPs, me fainting from fever at work and being rushed to the doctors by my very worried boss before I was rushed to hospital with the guidance for immediate surgery to have it removed. 48hrs later I was still sat in my NHS bed with no sign of surgery. Luckily my mom had me covered on her private medical and I was in surgery the same day she alerted them. I had to be operated on twice. It was packed and a draining tube connected. I was in hospital for 4 weeks and then recovering at home for a further 6 weeks before I was able to go back to work. The area still remains sensitive now but the cyst has never returned thankfully. My fiancé is now going through similar at the age of 30. I will be using my private medical to get him surgery ASAP. I don't want him going through the same delay I did..