Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings.
What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

I was stung by a paper wasp. I happened to have a can of Burt's Bees brand natural insect repellant. The stinging pain was very intense. I thought it couldn't make it worse. I got the repellent on the sting within a minute of getting stung and was astonished that the pain was gone in less than 30 seconds. I had minor swelling and barely noticeable itching. 10 hours later, the skin around the area only feels slightly tight. I was stung 20+ times when I stepped on a nest as a child. I think they were hornets. My ankles swelled up so big I couldn't put socks on. My friend’s mother put wet tobacco from a cigarette on them. Didn't do a thing to help..

I got stung in the ankle by a red wasp. It was the most painful thing I have ever felt! I couldn't immediately do anything because I was working, but every time I stepped, shooting pain shot up my leg. By day two, my entire foot and a third of my lower let swelled. I went to the doctor and she said it was a local reaction. She gave me an antibiotic because it looked infected and told me to ice it, take Benadryl, and elevate. It took two weeks to get better. And my ankle still feels bruised months later. .