Anaphylaxis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock).
What symptoms did you experience with your anaphylaxis?

I don't know what caused my anaphylaxis attack, I was really poorly with my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) the night before. The next morning I ate my usual breakfast toast, went in to the garden with my dog, my throat felt strange my eyes started to swell and itch, my mouth and lips started to swell and I started to cough, with chest tightness. I took some antihistamine straight away, swelling became worse, and hives appeared on my chest. I sought medical attention and was given steroids. The hives affected every part of me, I felt really unwell, and was treated and observed in Accident and Emergency for a few hours. It took nine days for the symptoms to subside, and what happened to me on the outside affected me on the inside. Not knowing why it happened is very unnerving. I have being referred to an immunologist..

I have cancer, and I had gone in to have my chemotherapy infusion. I had been taking the same chemotherapy drug for some time, but this time my body reacted. All of a sudden I had the feeling something was not right. I called the nurse and asked her to turn off the IV, as I felt that I couldn't breathe. I don't really remember the next few minutes, but the next thing I knew it felt like there were fifty nurses and a doctor there. I could hear, but couldn't really respond for a little bit. They were shooting things into my IV, and then they put a rubber oxygen mask on me. The doctor kept telling me I would be all right and would feel better soon. It took a while, but finally I could breathe again. Never that drug again. Very scary..