Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome.
What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?

I was diagnosed with temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome some 27 years ago and advised to do some movements with my neck and mouth and the problem, if not disappeared, at least didn't bother me that much. I was given 3 doses of Prolia (one every 6 months) and I started having aches on my jaw; the dentist thought it could be a molar, and fixed it, but the jaw continued to bother me and I stopped Prolia treatment. Month later I was given ibandronate sodium tablet 150 mg that I took for 3 months and my problems got worse. The worst thing now is a noise almost like the tick tack of a clock mostly at night. I'm really scared, I've had neck MRI and my doctor does not see any problem with the neck. I don't know what doctor I can see in my neck area..

I just found out last night that I have this. My headache was so bad it was a stabbing pain in my head. The emergency room doctor knew right away what it was. It surprised me! He has referred me to a dentist and I’m actually just reading about all of this online to educate myself..