Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome.
What was the cause of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?

I just found out last night that I have this. My headache was so bad it was a stabbing pain in my head. The emergency room doctor knew right away what it was. It surprised me! He has referred me to a dentist and I’m actually just reading about all of this online to educate myself..

TMJ makes me feel terrible. Some days I wake up and I'm fine and other days I feel really sick. The symptoms I have are subtle and sometimes I'll mistake them for a sinus infection or an ear infection. I have ringing in my ears and an awful pain in my neck and shoulder. I experience dizziness and mild nausea. I've tried the mouth pieces but they don't seem to help. For many years I saw an Asian doctor who gave me injections that helped tremendously. The injections were places in areas similar to the acupuncture points. The doctor passed away and now I can't find anyone to treat me. On the bad days I experience mild nausea, dizziness and mild mental confusion. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I actually believe that the TMJ is the biggest culprit. The problem seems to be getting worse. I never know how I'm going to feel from one day to the next. I think other people just think that I'm a hypochondriac..