Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia.
Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

I was just having bronchitis symtoms and feeling extra tired. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with bronchitis, treated with IV antibiotics and sent home with prescriptions. The next morning I was not coughing much but I feel more tired and had developed diarrhea and shortness of breath. My daughter took me to a different ER. On the way there I had temporary loss of my vision and on the way in to ER. I thought I had difficulty getting my breath. My blood pressure was 50/37 upon arrival. The diagnosis at this ER was at first bacterial pneumonia but later I was told it was sepsis and by the next morning, I was on a ventilator. I was told my kidneys were shutting down. I was on a vent for six days. What a nightmare. At only 46 years old with no previously diagnosed medical problems except arthritis and migrane headaches, even the doctors were perplexed. Swine flu and all immune defecit diseases were ruled out. Apparently I had allowed myself to get dehydrated and became anemic and did not go to the doctor right away because I had felt sicker in the past and had gotten better without help. After sixteen days in the hospital I am getting back to normal. Energy level is improving but not quite there and I seem to forget things more and present more scattered than before. Hopefully the neuro issues are related to the medications that were given to me to paralyze me and evenually I will be back to my old self. Being that close to death and having a six year old to raise is pretty scary. I thank God that I am here today..

I had a severe chest pain one day at work with lightheadedness and tingling in fingers. I had had a bad cold about two weeks earlier, but it had cleared up. The pain lasted about 15 minutes then subsided. I went home, ate a normal supper, took a hot bath and went to bed. Within one hour I was chilling all over my body and became extremely nauseous. I had no clue what was wrong and just endured all of this with a fever. I did not have a thermometer, but knew I was very hot. In the early morning we went to a walk in clinic. They thought I might be having a heart attack, due to the fact I am 53, a woman, and had had the chest pain, and had really no sign of a cough or anything. After blood tests and x-rays, however, it was determined I had pneumonia. They gave me intravenous IV antibiotics in the hospital and then let me go home with another antibiotic prescription. I go back to doctor in two weeks..