Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia.
Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

I've been ill with pneumonia for about a week and surprisingly, haven't felt short of breath yet. The pain started on my right side and spread across my chest. It hurt more when I inhaled. It hurt inside my body, not in my chest wall. After two days it became so painful as to be worrisome. Then I started a constant forceful dry cough, my fever went over 101 F and stayed there for days. My throat became very painful from coughing. Appetite was uneven. I became nauseated after too much activity. I became extremely hoarse after two days of coughing. There is very little nasal congestion or running. I am constantly weak. The doctor prescribed Zithromax, benzonatate for cough, and a fever reducer. Prior to taking benzonatate, I didn't have a sensation of chest congestion and my cough was dry. After starting benzonatate my cough became productive. Fever started to drop 48 hours after starting Zithromax. Six days after the pain started, I am not so weak and my chest is not painful, only sore. I still have lots of coughing and rattling, and I haven't got my voice back yet..

Don't let classic symptoms fool you. My only symptoms of pneumonia were not getting enough air, nausea, and chills. No cough, no headache no fever, etc. I was fine and went in for a total knee replacement (TKR). On the fourth day I was sent home. Within 12 hours I was fighting for my life in the emergency room. After 6 days in ICU I was home and lungs were clear. Diagnosis was pleural effusion, bacterial pneumonia, and acute respiratory failure. The cause was never determined. Heart, liver, kidneys all were well. I was not intubated during the TKR surgery..