Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury.
What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Five years ago my knee gave out (just before my knee replacement) and I fell. I broke the fall with my left outreached arm. Right away I had pain in my shoulder which went from mild to moderate. Finally I went to the doctor after a couple of years and had an MRI which showed a torn rotator cuff. Because of my "advanced" age of 59 the doctor did not want to do surgery. He injected cortisone. In the meantime I had a similar fall on ice. Now the pain has continued and is severe. It radiates into the muscles of my upper arm and all the way down to my hand. I am taking Percocet usually twice a day. Although I am 62 my surgeon has decided to do surgery. I will have another MRI next week. I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for 5 years. Can't move my elbow away from my waist. I have burning, terrible pain. Sometimes the deltoid muscle feels like it is knotting up. I just really can't stand it. The doctor isn't very encouraging saying older people don't have good blood supply for healing, but I don't think it could be any worse and I'm willing to take the chance for improvement..

I was seeing an orthopedic doctor for the pain in my elbow for which I had received several steroid injections over the course of 2 years. I did have a mysterious pain in my bicep, same arm, that was very bad at times, 8/10. When he started my exam he felt that my main problem was my shoulder. I was shocked as my shoulder didn't hurt. MRI showed a tear in the labrum. Easy fix he said. Scheduled for surgery a month down the road but the pain got worse so I was able to get it moved up. Dr got into shoulder and discovered significant tear in rotator cuff. No clue how that happened. He put a plastic anchor into my shoulder, stitched the labrum and cuff to it and twisted the anchor screw tightly. I didn't know about this until my 1 month checkup when I complained about continued pain and he said "didn't you watch your DVD? Yeah, you had a rotator cuff tear." At least now I don't feel like a total wimp. I'm still in pretty bad pain, 5-8/10. Use a TENS unit and ice. But I went back to work after just 4 days, including driving, and now I'm uncomfortable asking for some time off for healing after so long since the surgery..