Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Published: June 23

My shingles started with a sore swollen tip of my nose. On the second day the swelling and soreness had moved to the bridge of my nose and between my eyes. The left side of my face was sore to the touch, but no pain. I was shivering by evening and my left side of the face began to swell and get hot. Both lymph nodes were swollen and hard on neck. I went to a doctor who thought it was early shingles. So I was started on antibiotics for facial infection, and anti-viral. The rash lasted about 4 days. Blistering was done on face and I felt pretty good. Then the neck and head pain started. I was confused. Usually shingles begins with pain and finishes with rash, but mine was different. The pain was on the back of my neck and up to the center of back of skull. It is now day 8 and I was put on new drug called Horizon for post-shingle pain. It helps but makes me drowsy. Now the hard part begins; waiting for the pain to quit which may take days, weeks, or months. By the way, I had Bell’s palsy on the same side of my face about 5 years ago. I believe there may be a connection..

I had a stiff neck for a couple of weeks, had recently had a major seizure so thought that caused the neck pain. I woke up Saturday morning around 2 a.m. with extreme neck pain. It hurt just to move or lift my head, plus I couldn't hear out of my left ear, same side as the neck pain. I went to an urgent care clinic and they said I probably had a pulled muscle in my neck, and they gave me a steroid injection and muscle relaxers; they also gave me antibiotic for ear infection. By Thursday I still wasn't feeling any better. After removing a heating pad from my neck I noticed a couple of blisters, and I thought I had burned myself. I mentioned the blisters to my sister who is a doctor and she asked me to send her a picture of my neck. I did and she said it looked like shingles. I then went to see my doctor who confirmed it is shingles and gave me anti-viral medicine and pain killers. Now it is 2 days since diagnosis and it still burns and hurts badly, but I can move my neck a little easier. I am only using lidocaine patch at night for pain. It helps a little, I have hydrocodone if it gets worse..