Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

I had a stiff neck for a couple of weeks, had recently had a major seizure so thought that caused the neck pain. I woke up Saturday morning around 2 a.m. with extreme neck pain. It hurt just to move or lift my head, plus I couldn't hear out of my left ear, same side as the neck pain. I went to an urgent care clinic and they said I probably had a pulled muscle in my neck, and they gave me a steroid injection and muscle relaxers; they also gave me antibiotic for ear infection. By Thursday I still wasn't feeling any better. After removing a heating pad from my neck I noticed a couple of blisters, and I thought I had burned myself. I mentioned the blisters to my sister who is a doctor and she asked me to send her a picture of my neck. I did and she said it looked like shingles. I then went to see my doctor who confirmed it is shingles and gave me anti-viral medicine and pain killers. Now it is 2 days since diagnosis and it still burns and hurts badly, but I can move my neck a little easier. I am only using lidocaine patch at night for pain. It helps a little, I have hydrocodone if it gets worse..

Published: March 24

It started with a small breakage of the skin just below my left eye, in the cheekbone, caused probably by shaving. After a couple of weeks this had grown larger. I went to see a dermatologist who ordered a blood/culture. The results came back as shingles. By this time, more spots had developed on my left leg, chest, back and the face. There are a few spots in my hairs. Immediately I was sent for a series of antibiotics (IV). Now I am on antibiotics, taken orally. I notice that that one of the symptoms include itching, open sores. I do not have any of those. Other than that, apart from being fatigued all the time with no energy. Two or three times a day, without any warning I get this excruciating pain to an area above my left eye. This pain lasts usually around 5 minutes..