Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles.
How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Published: March 24

It started with a small breakage of the skin just below my left eye, in the cheekbone, caused probably by shaving. After a couple of weeks this had grown larger. I went to see a dermatologist who ordered a blood/culture. The results came back as shingles. By this time, more spots had developed on my left leg, chest, back and the face. There are a few spots in my hairs. Immediately I was sent for a series of antibiotics (IV). Now I am on antibiotics, taken orally. I notice that that one of the symptoms include itching, open sores. I do not have any of those. Other than that, apart from being fatigued all the time with no energy. Two or three times a day, without any warning I get this excruciating pain to an area above my left eye. This pain lasts usually around 5 minutes..

It all started with a sore throat that didn't go away over a few days. Then I had a swollen gland on the left side of my neck. Left ear felt strange, but no pain. I saw the doctor and we both thought it was an ear infection. I went home with antibiotics. Next day I had fever with chills and was throwing up (nausea). This lasted two days. I knew something was really wrong when I had trouble walking the next morning. I walked like I was highly intoxicated but I didn't have anything to drink. It is called vertigo. I went back to my doctor with the aid of my neighbor and the nurse. He looked in my ear and saw the sores and rash. Perplexed (he's a PA, physician's assistant), he brought in the regular doctor. He tested me for nerve damage, looked at my ear and said I have shingles, and to go to the emergency room at the local hospital. They gave me mega doses of anti-viral medicines for three days and two nights. An MRI showed that it wasn't in my brain or my eye. It is called Ramsay Hunt syndrome. I still have a slight vertigo but I am in physical therapy for that. I got a hefty hospital bill. Three months later and my ear still itches. Massive rash and sores never developed. Thank you doctors and nurses..