Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism.
Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Published: March 31

In January of this year, I suffered a pinched nerve in my back. It affected my right leg, which got numb and weak. I sat in my chair for the better part of 3 weeks, for I couldn't straighten my leg. I couldn't even sleep in my bed. I was stuck to my Lazy Boy pretty much for the duration. I decided on chiropractic care to relieve the nerve in my back. It worked, but I was still having problems with my knee. I still couldn't put any weight on it. Two weeks ago this past Monday I was working on a bathroom faucet, on my knees, moving around. Within an hour of this activity, I started to get short of breath. I thought it was a chest cold, so before that night, I took some cough medicine. The next day, I still felt a heaviness in my chest and the shortness of breath was worse, but I waited 2 days before I called anybody. That indecision almost killed me, for when my son came over to take me to the emergency room Thursday night, I was so weak and winded I couldn't leave the house. We called 911 and shortly thereafter found out I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs, about 6 clots in all, but it could have been worse. My medical team is pretty certain, that these clots came from that same right leg that was disabled some 2 months earlier. I've been home for a week, now wearing my medic alert necklace for warfarin, and taking it easy. Please don't procrastinate like I did. I have 5 grandchildren, and a wife of 36 years. They almost lost me because I waited to say anything..

I am a 54 year old woman and was hospitalized with a very large saddle pulmonary embolism last November. I had been very unwell with shortness of breath, palpitations, a terrible cough, and chest and back pain. I am on Xarelto for life and have suffered depression and anxiety. It’s been a long and painful journey and my biggest fear is that the clot will recur..