Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism.
Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

I am a 54 year old woman and was hospitalized with a very large saddle pulmonary embolism last November. I had been very unwell with shortness of breath, palpitations, a terrible cough, and chest and back pain. I am on Xarelto for life and have suffered depression and anxiety. It’s been a long and painful journey and my biggest fear is that the clot will recur..

Three years ago, I had weeks of gasping for air and dizziness. I was told by the general physician (GP) that I was anemic and given a prescription for ferrous sulfate. I took it as prescribed but the symptoms worsened. I was barely able to walk from one room to another without sitting down to catch my breath. When I visited my GP, he immediately admitted me to the hospital. I was anemic and several other tests were given. A cardiologist visited and ordered a CT scan and x-rays of my lungs. They were filled with blood clots and I'd had a minor heart attack from leaking around my heart. I was given heparin IV then injections of something of which I can't remember the name, and then put on 5 mg warfarin, given iron infusions and blood transfusions. After 4 days in the hospital, I was released and have been on 2 mg warfarin daily since then. During the past 3 years I have had 2 additional Iron infusions; the last one a year ago. The dizziness and shortness of breath is occurring again and getting worse. A blood test was taken and my CBT was 10; if the rest of the test shows no persistent anemia, I am to see the GP..