Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism.
Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Male, 61 yrs, excellent physical condition. In April I fell 25 ft from ladder, landing on my feet but compound fracturing both ankles, resulting in plates and screws to repair, and in casts from toes to upper thighs. Sent home in 4 days to a rented hospital bed and a very attentive wife who worked 24/7 to care for me. 6 weeks later following normal wake up and breakfast routine, into the wheel chair, etc, I suddenly felt a sudden chill, lightheaded and dizzy, turned white, fainted, then came to, and really felt disoriented. My wife saw this happening, dialed 911, and in minutes the medics were at my side, administering an injection, and putting me on a stretcher. During the ambulance ride I lost consciousness and vitals stopped, causing them to take me to the nearest hospital, not the one we requested, and there I was dropped off. The ER doctors did not know what was wrong. They suspected a stroke. After two days one doctor decided that my leg casts indicated possible clots could be present and ordered a sonogram, which disclosed a number of clots traveling up my right leg veins. He ordered heparin drip, and suggested a Greenfield filter be inserted into my vena cava. Since I am still alive, it worked. The omission of any blood thinners such as Coumadin following the initial ankle fractures was unforgivable and declared the contributing cause of the pulmonary embolism. My lower lobe of right lung is plugged and shows dark on x-ray. Any lower leg trauma should be monitored, clot formation expected, and dizziness, lightheaded feelings, and confusion should not be ignored. .

I am a 28 year old woman with four children. I gave birth Jan 14th and was very Short of Breath afterwards. Jan 21st I went to see my family doctor and she said everything sounded fine. Jan 26th I went to the Emergency room with Shortness of breath and a fast heartbeat of 100-120 beats per minute. He did a chest x-ray and it was clear. He ordered a blood test called a D-dimer and it was positive, so he sent me to a larger hospital for a Lung scan called a V.Q. It showed multiple blood clots in my lung. I was started on Fragmin injection that evening and Coumidin the next day. I was hospitalized for 1 week..