Sedimentation Rate (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Normal Sedimentation Rates
The normal sedimentation rate (Westergren method) for males is 0-15 millimeters per hour, for females it is 0-20 millimeters per hour. The sedimentation rate can be slightly elevated in the elderly. Falsely low sedimentation rates can occur in the blood from persons with leukemia or polycythemia rubra vera.
Medically reviewed by Avrom Simon, MD;Board Certified Preventive Medicine with subspecialty in Occupational Medicine
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/11/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Sedimentation Rate
- What to Expect During Surgery
- Treating OA: Should You Give Injectables a Shot?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication