Viewer Comments: Seizures in Children - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Seizures in Children:

Seizures in Children - Symptoms

What symptoms did your child experience before, during, and after his/her seizure?

...
Comment from: Lisa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 31

My daughter has been having seizures since she was thirteen months old. She began having them when she would have severe ear infections. With time, we had tubes put in her ears, which helped with ear infections. However, this did not stop the seizures. Her last three have been different. There have been no signs of illness at all. But, when she presents to the ER after the seizure she has a fever. There seems to be no answers. Her last one was less violent however, it had been thirteen months since the last one before this.

Comment from: ghmiller, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 28

My granddaughter will be doing any normal activities and will stiffen up and go really rigid. It happened about five times in a row. My daughter took her to the doctor they are scheduling an MRI. This is so scary. She had severe ear infections and had to have tubes placed. She just turned two in February.

Comment from: priyanka, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 18

My child is now two years and eight months old. My child's EEG report is not normal and the doctor is saying she's had seizures. I'm always with her and now I observe that sometimes she blinks her eyes. I told the doctor about that and she told me that those are seizures. Due to seizures, she is suffering from regression.

Comment from: Hueys, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

My son was at school when they noticed he was a little confused and had a twitching thing with his head. We took him to his doctor who then sent us to the ER. After numerous blood tests, a CT scan and nurses asking what his day entailed, we were sent home with no answers. A week later it happened again. We went to a neurologist who told us he looked fine and he shouldn't have any more. Two weeks later he had another one, we got more blood work done and they put him on antibiotics. Another two weeks and another episode. After months of keeping track and with help from his Dr, we got him an EEG while he was having an episode. We took the results to neurologists who concluded he was having seizures. We are getting ready to start him on Keppra.

Comment from: baby, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 01

My son was born premature and suffered first seizure 10 days after he was born. Then he recently had seizures again to due heat and fevers. His growth has slowed. I'm not sure if he will ever be a normal boy.

Comment from: Momtoten, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My 16 month old daughter had been up for about 20 minutes one morning when she started staring off into space. At that point she was still "functional" in every other way. Then she stopped walking and just sat, so I carried her around with me. She started mildly shaking like she was cold or had a fever so I took her temperature and put at sweater on her. About 45 minutes of this (I thought she just had an upset stomach or something) we got in the car to head toward town. On the drive she started breathing very shallowly and would stop breathing for longer and longer periods of time. Her head lolled to the side and her tongue went from pushing spit out of her mouth in a rhythmic motion to just hanging out the side of her mouth and her eyes rolled back in her head. We called 911 and met them on the side of the freeway with everything set up and ready to go. By that point she wasn't breathing at ALL and was quite blue. They shot her full of anti-seizure medication and put a breathing mask on her. She didn't breathe on her own for 20 minutes and it took another shot of the anti-seizure medication in the ER to finally kick her out of the seizure and get her to start breathing again. All in all, the seizure lasted for over two hours and only stopped with medication. The EMTs said she would have died had we tried to get to the hospital on our own (and not met them on the side of the freeway). Very scary!! After the seizure she was drowsy from the drugs, but after that wore off she was quite 'normal' again. We pray this never happens again!

Comment from: jackie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My grandson was playing then all of a sudden, he fell to the floor. His eyes were rolling and his body was jerking. He then stopped moving and went very stiff then stopped breathing. My daudhter-in-law then gave him mouth-to-mouth which revived him. He was rushed to hospital via ambulance afterwards.

Comment from: Broken hearted dad., 13-18 Male Published: April 17

My son is 16 years old. While at urgent care with our daughter for a broken wrist, he suddenly fell backward onto the floor. He hit his head on the floor, which sounded like a gun going off. As I cradled his head in my hand I started to check his pupils when I saw his eyes rolled up and to the left. He then began to foam at the mouth and his mouth was drawn to the left. After screaming for a doctor, I noticed he had started to convulse. His arms had drawn up into his chest his hands were disfigured and he had stopped breathing. His face and lips turned blue. The doctor was asking me questions about possible injuries which he had none. As I started to do CPR he began to breathe on his own. All tests came back normal and we are awaiting the neurologist appointment. I pray that no parent should ever see their child in that situation.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Seizures in Children

Seizures and Fever
Seizures and Fever Febrile seizures, also known as convulsions, body spasms, or shaking, occur mainly in children and are caused by fever. (Febrile is derived from the Latin febri...learn more >>
Seizures Emergencies
Seizures Emergencies Seizures refer to uncontrolled electrical activity in the brain. Symptoms of seizures range from mild to severe and can lead to death. A number of factors can l...learn more >>
Seizure