Viewer Comments: Seizures in Children - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Seizures in Children:

Seizures in Children - Symptoms

What symptoms did your child experience before, during, and after his/her seizure?

...
Comment from: jackie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My grandson was playing then all of a sudden, he fell to the floor. His eyes were rolling and his body was jerking. He then stopped moving and went very stiff then stopped breathing. My daudhter-in-law then gave him mouth-to-mouth which revived him. He was rushed to hospital via ambulance afterwards.

Comment from: Broken hearted dad., 13-18 Male Published: April 17

My son is 16 years old. While at urgent care with our daughter for a broken wrist, he suddenly fell backward onto the floor. He hit his head on the floor, which sounded like a gun going off. As I cradled his head in my hand I started to check his pupils when I saw his eyes rolled up and to the left. He then began to foam at the mouth and his mouth was drawn to the left. After screaming for a doctor, I noticed he had started to convulse. His arms had drawn up into his chest his hands were disfigured and he had stopped breathing. His face and lips turned blue. The doctor was asking me questions about possible injuries which he had none. As I started to do CPR he began to breathe on his own. All tests came back normal and we are awaiting the neurologist appointment. I pray that no parent should ever see their child in that situation.

Comment from: Lynn, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 16

My son started having his first episode of seizure when he was nine years old in 2009 just when he is about to sleep at night and lasted for about 5 minutes. His limbs went stiff, eyes rolled to the back and lots of fluid came out of his mouth. He started crying when he regained consciousness but was not responsive to our questions or calling. We took him to the ER where the doctor told us that he would outgrow his seizures.

Comment from: concerned mama, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 21

My eleven-year-old son is having sudden onset of what the pediatrician is calling "seizures" during physical activity where he remains active but has no memory of what happened and has headache and tired after the episode.

Comment from: worried mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 29

My son is 9 years old and had a seizure last night. No symptoms prior and no history of seizures. It happened 30-40 minutes after he fell asleep. His eyes were fixed, both arms and legs were jerking, and he was drooling. This lasted about 30-40 seconds.

Comment from: happycampermom@hotma, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

A little over a year ago my daughter started having a uncommon absence seizure. She walks in circles, drools, and can remember what is being said around her. She is getting close to turning 10. Her doctor is hopefull she will grow out of it during puberty.

Comment from: scaredfather, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My 5-year-old daughter was lying in bed with me while watching TV. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that she was repeatedly touching her thumb to her fingers on her left hand. I asked what she was doing, and when she did not respond I knew something was wrong. I then looked at her face and I saw her eyes roll to the left side of her head. I immediately picked her up and placed her on the floor away from any objects. Her whole body went stiff without convulsions. Meanwhile my wife called 911. Her lips began to turn blue, and then I started to freak out. I put a damp cloth on her forehead, which seemed to have triggered a relaxed response. The seizure lasted approximately 13 minutes, and then EMT's arrived to take her to the hospital. This was her first seizure, and I pray that it never happens again. All labs and imaging came inconclusive and normal. We are clueless as to the cause.

Comment from: concerned BB, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My four-month-old grandbaby had three complex partial seizures, one in the ER. She has no history of seizures. We are trying to figure out what caused them. My daughter is breast feeding and she drinks unpasteurized milk from a small local dairy farm. My grandbaby fell while strapped in her car seat. She fell about three feet, but she did not seem to be hurt nor did she hit her head. Also, she had a traumatic birth as the cord was wrapped around her neck and she was black from her neck up. The doctor could not get the cord up around her head, so he had to slide it down her body. I wonder if any of these situations could cause seizures.

Comment from: 0-2 Male Published: October 13

When my son had a seizure, he had stiff limbs. He would stare into space and he also showed a rhythmic jerking affecting one side of his body.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Seizures in Children

Seizures and Fever
Seizures and Fever Febrile seizures, also known as convulsions, body spasms, or shaking, occur mainly in children and are caused by fever. (Febrile is derived from the Latin febri...learn more >>
Seizures Emergencies
Seizures Emergencies Seizures refer to uncontrolled electrical activity in the brain. Symptoms of seizures range from mild to severe and can lead to death. A number of factors can l...learn more >>
Seizure
Wilderness: Seizure Abnormal electrical activity in the brain triggers seizure activity. A person may have a seizure disorder (epilepsy) and require medications. Other factors such...learn more >>