Viewer Comments: Seizures in Children - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Seizures in Children:

Seizures in Children - Symptoms

What symptoms did your child experience before, during, and after his/her seizure?

Comment from: Lynn, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 16

My son started having his first episode of seizure when he was nine years old in 2009 just when he is about to sleep at night and lasted for about 5 minutes. His limbs went stiff, eyes rolled to the back and lots of fluid came out of his mouth. He started crying when he regained consciousness but was not responsive to our questions or calling. We took him to the ER where the doctor told us that he would outgrow his seizures.

Comment from: concerned mama, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 21

My eleven-year-old son is having sudden onset of what the pediatrician is calling "seizures" during physical activity where he remains active but has no memory of what happened and has headache and tired after the episode.

Comment from: worried mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 29

My son is 9 years old and had a seizure last night. No symptoms prior and no history of seizures. It happened 30-40 minutes after he fell asleep. His eyes were fixed, both arms and legs were jerking, and he was drooling. This lasted about 30-40 seconds.

Comment from: happycampermom@hotma, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

A little over a year ago my daughter started having a uncommon absence seizure. She walks in circles, drools, and can remember what is being said around her. She is getting close to turning 10. Her doctor is hopefull she will grow out of it during puberty.

Comment from: scaredfather, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My 5-year-old daughter was lying in bed with me while watching TV. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that she was repeatedly touching her thumb to her fingers on her left hand. I asked what she was doing, and when she did not respond I knew something was wrong. I then looked at her face and I saw her eyes roll to the left side of her head. I immediately picked her up and placed her on the floor away from any objects. Her whole body went stiff without convulsions. Meanwhile my wife called 911. Her lips began to turn blue, and then I started to freak out. I put a damp cloth on her forehead, which seemed to have triggered a relaxed response. The seizure lasted approximately 13 minutes, and then EMT's arrived to take her to the hospital. This was her first seizure, and I pray that it never happens again. All labs and imaging came inconclusive and normal. We are clueless as to the cause.

Comment from: concerned BB, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My four-month-old grandbaby had three complex partial seizures, one in the ER. She has no history of seizures. We are trying to figure out what caused them. My daughter is breast feeding and she drinks unpasteurized milk from a small local dairy farm. My grandbaby fell while strapped in her car seat. She fell about three feet, but she did not seem to be hurt nor did she hit her head. Also, she had a traumatic birth as the cord was wrapped around her neck and she was black from her neck up. The doctor could not get the cord up around her head, so he had to slide it down her body. I wonder if any of these situations could cause seizures.

Comment from: 0-2 Male Published: October 13

When my son had a seizure, he had stiff limbs. He would stare into space and he also showed a rhythmic jerking affecting one side of his body.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 12

My son is three years old. He has had three seizures in the past 2 months. When he has one it starts where he rolls his eyes back or his eyes are staring off to nowhere. He gets very pale and bluish. It looks like he is dying. His breathing gets very shallow and his heart rate speeds up. He sometimes grinds his teeth. In the third one he jerked a little. But in the first two he was completely unresponsive. I called 911 for the first two but the third one saw him through it. When we went to the ER for the first one, they ruled out dehydration, diabetes, and heart problems as well as head injury. They weren't fever induced either. There is no family history of seizures anywhere in the family. He has an appointment with the neurologist in two days.

Comment from: gpwoman, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My son's eyes were glassy and rolling back in his head. He was drooling with ashen grey skin and ragged breathing. His lips were blue and he was unable to communicate. It took 20-30 minutes before he was lucid and back to normal. He was unable to walk with steady steps.

Must Read Articles Related to Seizures in Children

Seizures and Fever
Seizures and Fever Febrile seizures, also known as convulsions, body spasms, or shaking, occur mainly in children and are caused by fever. (Febrile is derived from the Latin febri...learn more >>
Seizures Emergencies