Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Comment from: zip, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My husband (40) has had sepsis 3 times. It started with an infected tooth, which resulted in a week in ICU. The second time he just seemed groggy, but could not wake him up. This latest time was a few weeks ago, he was having trouble breathing while he was sleeping, I could not wake him, he had pneumonia with the beginning stages of sepsis. His blood pressure was extremely low for two days in ICU. We are currently looking into ways to get this sepsis gone from his system. If anyone has any ideas for us we would love to hear them! We are now terrified of him catching a cold for fear it will turn to pneumonia and sepsis. Our two kids are mortified of the hospitals; we just can't believe how much this illness seems to be coming back and back and back.

Comment from: Happylady8, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My 34 year old son was sent from a country hospital to a larger regional one after his blood pressure dropped dramatically - due to an infected foot. The second hospital cleaned out the wound and left a gaping hole, and the doctor asked my son the next day how he felt. My son still had a headache, and his foot was swelling and getting redder by the minute. He was discharged. I immediately took him to the capital city major hospital (170kms) where they immediately admitted him. We had the microbiologist, orthopedic and general doctor see him. They were really worried that the infection would travel to the plates he had in a formerly broken ankle. His C Reactive Protein level was 200 and the doctor said the normal was 5. We are making a formal complaint to the health consumer council. Be aware, make sure the CRP is taken and you know the results before being discharged with any infection.

Comment from: Tracey747, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 21

My mum is 74. I took her to hospital before Xmas very ill with a cough and temperature. There was an obvious chest infection, but they sent her home saying there was no infection. A week later she's in in hospital with pneumonia and sepsis.

Comment from: Lucky, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am typing this from my hospital bed. I had noticed some swelling and discoloration in my legs. I pointed them out to my fiancee, then set up an appointment with our surgeon thinking it was another cyst. A couple days later I left work early, feeling dizzy, nauseated, and tired. It turns out I also had a fever. I saw a prompt care doctor that afternoon. He did a blood draw and saw the infection in my blood. I hadn't yet reached a critical level, so I was prescribed some oral antibiotics, and a cream. I was also and ordered us to see a doctor the next day. I went to the hospital and I was admitted immediately.

Comment from: Jenessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I'm a 26-year-old female who has been dealing with addiction for seven years! I have been an IV drug user on an off! I have been clean a little over three months when I became very sick. I had a 10% chance of making it -- all over using needles! The infection was in the main valve of my heart. Thankfully, I got better, or I was going for open heart surgery. The infection went to my right lung, which collapsed, filling with fluid. I had a chest tubw and was hospitalized for two weeks. After that I was sent to a nursing home. Addiction is not worth the trouble.

Comment from: dallie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I just had a baby and was not properly cleaned out during delivery, resulting in sepsis.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was diagnosed with vulvodynia. I never had any problems with my urethral opening. Two weeks later, I developed stinging and burning when urinating. I also had chills. I told the doctor about this and he didn't seem to be worried. I thought he should have asked for a urine specimen. Exactly one week later I was admitted to the hospital with severe septicemia.

Comment from: dearhunter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 62 yrs old. I have RA and I had been taking prednisone. I became sick but I was completely unaware of my illness. I was in ICU for four days before I knew where I was. I had sepsis and double pneumonia. I first got a deep vein blood clot. I was hospitalized for eight times over a period of almost four months. I came very close to dying. I was in the hospital with sepsis and pneumonia for 2 weeks. I lost so much strength I had to go to a rehab hospital for 22 weeks. They got me off my bed and on a walker.

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Bacterial pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Pneumonia i...learn more >>
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?

Sepsis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sepsis?