Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Comment from: dallie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I just had a baby and was not properly cleaned out during delivery, resulting in sepsis.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was diagnosed with vulvodynia. I never had any problems with my urethral opening. Two weeks later, I developed stinging and burning when urinating. I also had chills. I told the doctor about this and he didn't seem to be worried. I thought he should have asked for a urine specimen. Exactly one week later I was admitted to the hospital with severe septicemia.

Comment from: dearhunter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 62 yrs old. I have RA and I had been taking prednisone. I became sick but I was completely unaware of my illness. I was in ICU for four days before I knew where I was. I had sepsis and double pneumonia. I first got a deep vein blood clot. I was hospitalized for eight times over a period of almost four months. I came very close to dying. I was in the hospital with sepsis and pneumonia for 2 weeks. I lost so much strength I had to go to a rehab hospital for 22 weeks. They got me off my bed and on a walker.

Comment from: Lucy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

My mother was admitted to the hospital today with sepsis. We believe it started with a cat bite a few days ago. She's in ICU and will hopefully have a full recovery. She told me she thinks they'll let her out soon. She doesn't realize how sick she really is, but at least she is in good spirits. She's a fighter. She has four different IVs in her, her blood pressure is dangerously low, and she's in renal failure. The nurses seem optimistic though... as her blood pressure is starting to rise.

Comment from: twotinymaltese, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

My mom, 86 entered the hospital with low blood pressure due to dialysis and then they found the bacterial septic infection in her chest. All of the treatments you listed have been done in the past week. Most recently her breathing was shallow and she needed to be intubated. This was necessary so they could do the dialysis as well as repair a problem with her catheter (that works with the dialysis). She is quite the fighter but we (my sister and I) wait to see if she pulls through.

Comment from: mona, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My mom had colon cancer, last stage. The doctor said, when during the surgery he was removing the damaged part of colon, the tissue was falling apart, so damaged it was. The next day after the surgery my mom started having fever, and had it for four weeks until she died. The doctor said he believed she had fever from both - sepsis and the very rapid spread of cancer, since the cancer cells got in the blood.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 26

My husband's sepsis seems to be caused by an UTI. He is a quadriplegic and this is his second bout with this. The early signs were overlooked by me because he had no fever and hadn't been feeling ill, just tired and a decrease in his normal eating habits. Until one morning he woke up confused about where he was and what was going on.

Comment from: jewelsie8, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

My father died from sepsis, we had no idea he was that sick. It all started with a cold. We still can't figure out how this happened.

Comment from: me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I developed sepsis after a urinary tract infection spread to my kidneys because my body wasn't responding to antibiotics. I ended up having a rare bacteria strain that didn't respond to common antibiotics used to treat urinary tract infections.

Comment from: sandek60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I am 61 years old, I was in the Hospital for 4 months with sepsis shock I got it from buil-up of sludge and gallstones in my bile tube from removal of gallbladder 17 years ago. I went to a small town hospital and they sent me home with pain medications and did not test me for sepsis shock. The next day they sent to another hospital, where they saved my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?

Sepsis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sepsis?