Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

My father got sepsis from a prostate biopsy.

Comment from: Terelyn71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

The cause of my sepsis was the extraction of an infected molar.

Comment from: Star, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

The doctors could not figure out how I got sepsis. I did have a ruptured cyst in one of my ovaries, had a lot of pain and that's why I went to the hospital. It turned out that my other ovary had multiple cysts. It appears that I already had sepsis when I went to the hospital, so that's why I think that when the cyst in my ovary ruptured, it released something that caused me to get sepsis. Thank God I was able to overcome it!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I developed sepsis post-surgery (microdiskectomy).

Comment from: kiki, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 28

I developed sepsis from an asymptomatic dental abscess.

Comment from: Mr eyre, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My son who suffers from convulsions contracted a severe chest infection and after two attacks he complained of pain all over his body and was covered in a rash he had also had a nose bleed and had a high fever. He was rushed to the ER and taken to the I.C.U and it was found he had SEPSIS and his plates were very low. At first they treated it as meningitis he spent 9 days in hospital and is slowly on the mend and awaiting full results of test.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 08

My boyfriend is a C6-C7 Incomplete Quad and has a stage four on his hip and wears an indwelling catheter on a regular basis, so he always has urinary tract infections on a regular basis. When he started sweating profusely and started to shake really bad and started passing out, we assumed it was just a severe UTI so we took him to the doctor so he could receive his usual antibiotics and they drew blood and the very next day the doctor called us to let us know we needed to take him to the E.R. right away. They found sepsis in his blood. The doctor said that he was very lucky to be alive because most doctors would have ignored all of the signs and symptoms of sepsis because he was not running a high fever. So he has MRSA in his blood which was highly likely caused by the UTI as well as the stage four ulcer on his hip. This is a serious matter and could have easily caused him to die, so if you or know someone that has really bad chills and sweats and shakes and mental confusion call 911 right away before it's too late because my boyfriend had a mild septic shock which could have easily turned out to be severe and cause death.

Comment from: justice, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

My father-in-law went into the hospital with bronchitis and trouble breathing it then advanced into pneumonia and his body released an infection into his lungs and he was not able to recover. It all happened in a period of two weeks when his organs started to completely shut down he was in severe pain. He had never been sick from any kind of disease, infection, or even a minor cold. We were never really satisfied with the cause of death maybe there was more to it.

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sepsis?

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?