Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Comment from: Joyce, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Having a pain in my left side at waist level I was given cream to rub on. I went back to the doctors in five days after taking my temperature. I was in hospital within hours, I had an abscess in my peritoneum which had burst, and when I tried to eat everything came back up. For 5 weeks every day blood was taken until they found something that would help the sepsis, in the meantime I was so weak it was so tiring to be sick every time I tried to eat. I was put on chrysomycin injections for 6 weeks twice a day, then 2 week off, and then another course of 4 weeks. I am still here after 50 years.

Comment from: tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

On June 17th, 2014 my colon ruptured, sending me into septic shock. I almost died from it. I had no idea what it was. I had never heard of it. I was in the ICU on a ventilator for 5 days. The doctor didn't think I would make it. It is a miracle I did. I am suffering from the aftermath of sepsis. I need more info on this monster. I need to know where I can go for treatment and to get help.

Comment from: kk, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I had been operated cataract of my left eye. I never take allopathic medicine. After 20 days I had high fever, I went to the doctor, he did blood test and diagnosed urinary infection, and gave me antibiotics for 4 days. After that I have been feeling very weak and dull and between 1400 and 1700 hours every day I have very high fever. I then went to Ayurveda doctor he examined me and said I have blood infection and now his treatment is on for 7 days. Let us see what improvement I have.

Comment from: mike, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My brother-in-law went to hospital because he was very sick. They kept sending him back home, he had high fever and was disoriented. Finally kept him the 3rd time and said he had fluid. He was so weak he had to be brought in by ambulance. They sent him to another hospital which automatically put him in ICU. They called all kinds of specialists in and found the bacteria and it had gone to his heart. If anyone could help him it would be an infectious disease doctor, so they rushed him to another facility which also put him in ICU with a doctor waiting on him. The bacteria was so bad that it had eaten, yes eaten, his arteries to his heart. They called the family in and said there was absolutely nothing they could do for him and that if they had a heart lying there, there was nothing there to connect it to. We questioned the doctor about where it could have come from and he said maybe a cut, a sore; he really couldn't tell but he had had it for a while. Well, he had a small place on his leg that would not heal and his leg would swell but because he had no insurance he would not go to the doctor. People, insurance or not, your life could depend on it. Up until the week of Christmas he was ok or so we thought. If you go to ER and they send you back and don't do anything for you then go somewhere else, your life might just depend on it. Sometimes they are so busy they miss things. At least you'd have a second opinion.

Comment from: His sister, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I have a 30 year old brother with late stages of Multiple Sclerosis. He was re-admitted to the hospital about 10 days ago for treatment of C-diff in his stool which he had almost 3 weeks prior to his last hospital stay. During his recovery at home, he was getting a medication called Flagyl for his c-diff infection. He had fevers and sweats almost every day. We continued to give him his medication as directed, thinking this stool infection would clear up, but it never did. By the 10th day of Flagyl treatment, we called the doctor to report that "he was still having a lot of blood tinged diarrhea. He told us to take him back to the hosp which we did. Due to the fevers, the doctors did all kinds of test and we found out he has an infection in his blood. They have been treated him with all kinds if IV antibiotics. They draw blood cultures everyday and they still come back positive and he is still positive for c-diff. The doctors are saying "we've done all that we could do". Now they are calling for the Infection Control Team. My family is a bit worried of the fact that we may have waited too late to get him treatment sooner.

Comment from: dodiep, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am a 62 year old woman who was admitted to the hospital in November of 2009 due to a kidney stone blockage. Shortly after my admission I had a dramatic drop in blood pressure and was rushed to ICU. After the stone was pushed back into the kidney, and of course lost of fluids and antibiotics, I started to recover from the sepsis. I was in ICU for 4 days. Since then I have had treatments to break the stones and have been given many antibiotics. I am concerned, as I do not feel well most of the time (tired and feverish). I fear that I have become antibiotic resistant and will have another episode of sepsis. Doctor's tell me that what happened to me is extremely rare.

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Bacterial pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Pneumonia i...learn more >>
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?

Sepsis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sepsis?