Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Comment from: His sister, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I have a 30 year old brother with late stages of Multiple Sclerosis. He was re-admitted to the hospital about 10 days ago for treatment of C-diff in his stool which he had almost 3 weeks prior to his last hospital stay. During his recovery at home, he was getting a medication called Flagyl for his c-diff infection. He had fevers and sweats almost every day. We continued to give him his medication as directed, thinking this stool infection would clear up, but it never did. By the 10th day of Flagyl treatment, we called the doctor to report that "he was still having a lot of blood tinged diarrhea. He told us to take him back to the hosp which we did. Due to the fevers, the doctors did all kinds of test and we found out he has an infection in his blood. They have been treated him with all kinds if IV antibiotics. They draw blood cultures everyday and they still come back positive and he is still positive for c-diff. The doctors are saying "we've done all that we could do". Now they are calling for the Infection Control Team. My family is a bit worried of the fact that we may have waited too late to get him treatment sooner.

Comment from: dodiep, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am a 62 year old woman who was admitted to the hospital in November of 2009 due to a kidney stone blockage. Shortly after my admission I had a dramatic drop in blood pressure and was rushed to ICU. After the stone was pushed back into the kidney, and of course lost of fluids and antibiotics, I started to recover from the sepsis. I was in ICU for 4 days. Since then I have had treatments to break the stones and have been given many antibiotics. I am concerned, as I do not feel well most of the time (tired and feverish). I fear that I have become antibiotic resistant and will have another episode of sepsis. Doctor's tell me that what happened to me is extremely rare.

Comment from: zip, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My husband (40) has had sepsis 3 times. It started with an infected tooth, which resulted in a week in ICU. The second time he just seemed groggy, but could not wake him up. This latest time was a few weeks ago, he was having trouble breathing while he was sleeping, I could not wake him, he had pneumonia with the beginning stages of sepsis. His blood pressure was extremely low for two days in ICU. We are currently looking into ways to get this sepsis gone from his system. If anyone has any ideas for us we would love to hear them! We are now terrified of him catching a cold for fear it will turn to pneumonia and sepsis. Our two kids are mortified of the hospitals; we just can't believe how much this illness seems to be coming back and back and back.

Comment from: Happylady8, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My 34 year old son was sent from a country hospital to a larger regional one after his blood pressure dropped dramatically - due to an infected foot. The second hospital cleaned out the wound and left a gaping hole, and the doctor asked my son the next day how he felt. My son still had a headache, and his foot was swelling and getting redder by the minute. He was discharged. I immediately took him to the capital city major hospital (170kms) where they immediately admitted him. We had the microbiologist, orthopedic and general doctor see him. They were really worried that the infection would travel to the plates he had in a formerly broken ankle. His C Reactive Protein level was 200 and the doctor said the normal was 5. We are making a formal complaint to the health consumer council. Be aware, make sure the CRP is taken and you know the results before being discharged with any infection.

Comment from: Lucky, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am typing this from my hospital bed. I had noticed some swelling and discoloration in my legs. I pointed them out to my fiancee, then set up an appointment with our surgeon thinking it was another cyst. A couple days later I left work early, feeling dizzy, nauseated, and tired. It turns out I also had a fever. I saw a prompt care doctor that afternoon. He did a blood draw and saw the infection in my blood. I hadn't yet reached a critical level, so I was prescribed some oral antibiotics, and a cream. I was also and ordered us to see a doctor the next day. I went to the hospital and I was admitted immediately.

Comment from: Jenessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I'm a 26-year-old female who has been dealing with addiction for seven years! I have been an IV drug user on an off! I have been clean a little over three months when I became very sick. I had a 10% chance of making it -- all over using needles! The infection was in the main valve of my heart. Thankfully, I got better, or I was going for open heart surgery. The infection went to my right lung, which collapsed, filling with fluid. I had a chest tubw and was hospitalized for two weeks. After that I was sent to a nursing home. Addiction is not worth the trouble.

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?

Sepsis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sepsis?