Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?

...
Comment from: Shelly, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 14

My dear friend 40 years of age is septic as we speak. She had a hysterectomy due to several masses and she has stage 3 ovarian cancer. She underwent chemotherapy, and since, she has had one infection after another. She has been hospitalized four times to now find out she has sepsis, and a fistula due to surgery. She is currently home and has to take 12hr IV therapy of antibiotics/nutrients. She cannot eat for six weeks!

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

Ertapenem - an antibiotic.

Related Reading: Ertapenem

Comment from: harvey 39, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 03

My mother was 72 and had several health issues but I was so shocked when she just felt like she had a virus and it turned into septic shock and took her from us this June 14 2012. She started feeling a little nauseated and had diarrhea. She felt cool to me but she said she was warm. She didn't eat or drink much as I tried to get her to. She refused to go the hospital for she said it was a virus going around. When I finally got her to go it was just within three days and she passed. Her blood pressure was low. She finally had to have a breathing tube. If I had known the signs of septic shock, maybe I could have gotten her some help and maybe she would be here today.

I'm still fighting it. I was in the hospital for four days on Levaquin antibiotics through an IV. When I got out was on the same antibiotic in a pill form for a week. I got out on a Friday and tried to go to work on the following Monday. I didn't make it, though. I'm still running a fever and taking antibiotics.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My 46-year-old husband became septic while still at the hospital after having surgery to have his colostomy taken down and colon reattached. One morning he got the chills, started shaking uncontrollably and had a fever of 106.1. His blood pressure was extremely low also. Luckily the doctors surmised that he had a staph infection in his blood (caused by the main line in his jugular vein which they immediately removed) and started treating him on antibiotics and with a cooling blanket. Thankfully he recovered. The doctor's quick thinking saved my husband's life.

Comment from: JIH, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a kidney transplant in 2003 and since then I have had seven sepsis events. All ended with hospitalization. They have not found a source for any of the events. I always have about five doctors and big money tests, but no explanation of the cause.

Comment from: Ken G., 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My wife had previous kidney stones a year apart, then skipped a year. On Mother's day she had severe pain in her lower left back and I took her to the ER. She had a 9mm stone blocking her left kidney and an 8mm stone blocking her right kidney. The urine backed up and infected her bloodstream, and her blood pressure dropped. She was admitted to ICU and is on a whole plethora of medications Her limbs, face, lips, etc. have swollen immensely. She was asked to sign an authorization for a total blood transfusion if the antibiotics fail.

Comment from: sandy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My daughter, age 41, died from sepsis. She came home from work early on Thursday, and became confused about 6pm on Fri. EMTs took her to the ER at 6:30. She never was conscious. Then her brain activity ceased, and her kidneys and liver failed. She thought she had a virus that was going around.

Comment from: santoku, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

After undergoing a serious operation for a strangulation hernia, it turned into something worse. For reason's I won't go into, I had three feet of my small intestine removed, because of a bleeding issue. After spending three months in the hospital, I was admitted to a rehab facility. At this time, I still had an open wound on my stomach, which was healing by itself. After a month or so, one of the nurses found me unconscious in the bathroom. I found out later, when I woke up in ICU, that I had septic shock. I was later told by the doctor I almost didn't make it.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Sepsis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sepsis?