Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was 34 years old when I developed sepsis from a kidney stone blocking my ureter. When my oldest son took me to the ER, he thought I was dead. I had a temp of 107.00, extremely low bp, a pulse in the 160s and the amount of oxygen in my blood was only 88%. They gave me IV fluids, vasopressers, started antibiotics and put me on a ventilator because I was barely breathing.

Comment from: chilly in florida, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

In January I had a double operation for a hysterectomy for uterine cancer and hernia repair for a double hernia. They had to do the hernia repair to get to the uterus. Two days after the surgery, while still in the hospital recovering, 3 black spots appeared on my stomach and began to spread. I was released a week later, with much more of my stomach turning black. The doctor's wanted to see if the infection would heal and were also setting me up to see a plastic surgeon to remove the gangrene. Two weeks after being released when I went for a follow up with my gynecologist, he immediately had me go to the ER. My stomach was more than 50 percent black and my incision had ruptured, and was full of pus. At the ER, I was found to be in tachycardia, and in sepsis. My white cell count was 21. They admitted me straight to intensive care. The surgery to remove the infection, which was scheduled for the next week, was done the next day. They remove about 35 pounds from my stomach, all the way to the abdominal wall. I spent 7 days in intensive care receiving antibiotics and fluids, and then another 10 days in the hospital still receiving antibiotics and trying to regulate the fluids. I had problems with swelling. The incision to remove the diseased tissue was 30+ inches across my stomach. I had 7 drains and was attached to a wound vac for 6 months. after the hospital I was sent to a rehabilitation hospital for 10 days to help me walk, and get up out of chairs and bed.

Comment from: mom and caregiver, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My 36-year old daughter was sick for seven days with chills, fevers (104), constant coughing. She was spitting up blood, and had a blotchy red rash on her thighs. Yesterday, she went to hospital, and after blood tests and chest x-ray, the diagnosis was bacterial pneumonia. The things that really puzzle me are the bloody stuff she is coughing up and the large and itchy rash on her thighs.

Comment from: Kristin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I got sepsis due to a hole being left in my bile duct. I was in a coma 16 days in the ICU and spent a total of 6 weeks in the hospital. I was literally sliced in half twice in one week because the infection had spread and I also had a tracheotomy. When I got back to work 3 people told me they knew someone that had died from sepsis! I thank God I am alive!

Comment from: faith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

My sepsis was treated in the ER. I didn't realize how much danger I was in.

Comment from: Angie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had no idea I was even sick, but I was septic and I was put on life support for nine days. I woke up in the ICU.

Comment from: DJ1973, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I had initial symptoms of bladder infection, but two days later had fever with sharp pain in lower right side. The ER doctor thought surely it was appendicitis, but ended up being severe UTI that went septic into bloodstream and kidneys. They started me on IV fluids and antibiotics then admitted me for "observation. If my daughter had not taken me to ER, the doctor said they would not have been able to save me even 6-8 hours later.

Comment from: Mandroid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My sepsis was treated with heavy duty antibiotics. I had an IV port for over three months. I spent about a month and a half in the hospital.

Comment from: nona, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 05

My husband went to ER with fever, shakes, very low blood pressure a very red swollen foot and a very painful lower back. The doctors told him it was arthritis and sent him home. I took him back two days later and they still wanted to send him home for arthritis. I made them take a better look at his foot and after cutting it open and finding out he had a bacterial infection they finally admitted him. He is septic, has all the symptoms and the doctors want to know why he is so lethargic. He's still in the hospital. It'll be five days tomorrow and he is still not out of the woods. I really would like to transfer him to a better hospital and will be looking into it soon. I am not impressed with these doctors. I'm just hoping it won't be too late for my husband.

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Sepsis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sepsis?