Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?

Comment from: Mandroid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My sepsis was treated with heavy duty antibiotics. I had an IV port for over three months. I spent about a month and a half in the hospital.

Comment from: nona, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 05

My husband went to ER with fever, shakes, very low blood pressure a very red swollen foot and a very painful lower back. The doctors told him it was arthritis and sent him home. I took him back two days later and they still wanted to send him home for arthritis. I made them take a better look at his foot and after cutting it open and finding out he had a bacterial infection they finally admitted him. He is septic, has all the symptoms and the doctors want to know why he is so lethargic. He's still in the hospital. It'll be five days tomorrow and he is still not out of the woods. I really would like to transfer him to a better hospital and will be looking into it soon. I am not impressed with these doctors. I'm just hoping it won't be too late for my husband.

Published: June 21

I went to the ER with what I thought was a Kidney Stone. I actually had a severe UTI. Of course they did a bunch of blood work and found I had Sepsis! My blood pressure dropped and my temp went up to 104.6. I was kept in ICU overnight and was given IV Fluids and IV antibiotics. I was released after 2 days and was sent home with a script for Cipro! I was never under the impression that I was deathly ill until I went for a follow up with my PCP a week later and she informed me that I came close to dying!!!

Comment from: MercyMercy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

My mother died two years ago from sepsis following a minor orthopedic procedure. She was 83 and had some health issues but she went into the hospital still ambulatory and active and left dying before Hurricane Ike was about to hit us here in Houston. I pleaded for them to take her to another hospital and they sent her home. She had the low blood pressure (after years of high blood pressure), low heart rate, rapid breathing, strange dreams and talking in her sleep. I know now she was septic. When a doctor finally agreed to sign her death certificate - after 2 weeks - it said the primary reason for death was sepsis.

Comment from: Dimples, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

My daughter had an infected tooth pulled. Two days later she became extremely ill with high fever, low blood pressure and chills. I immediately took her to the emergency and she was put in ICU. She recovered and is back to normal after 16 days of being hospitalized. I am very scared that it may reoccur, or some other infection. I advise all others to take your family member to the emergency when you experience any of these symptoms mentioned earlier. It is a deadly infection if it is not treated properly or early. Do not wait a day or minute or try to use at home remedy. Sepsis needs lots of serious antibiotics and intense care.

Comment from: mona, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My husband was septic and was treated with Levaquin.

Comment from: Hilary, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My husband is at this moment very ill with it, he has had a water infection time after time over the past 15 years and the antibiotics have been masking but not clearing the infections .Thank god we had a descent emergency doctor tend to him over the weekend and got him admitted to the hospital. Hopefully he will have a full recovery.

Comment from: enkay, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 27

My 74 year old mum developed sepsis. She was admitted to hospital when I called an ambulance but died within 24 hours of multiple organ failure.

Comment from: ShaNayNay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had been diagnosed with pneumonia in my right lung. I have no fever, 98% oxygen level, normal blood pressure, cough, short of breath and a lot of sinus drainage. I went home. Two hours later I was developing a sharp pain on my right side in the kidney area. I checked in to the ER. I was admitted to a regular room. About 4 hrs later I was in ICU w/ blood pressure of 60/42. I had developed sepsis that fast! I spent 3 days in ICU, had to have my right lung drained (which is very painful) and spent a total of 10 days in the hospital. There was no indication to get to the ER until the pain in my side started, and even then I just thought I had pulled something coughing. Had my friend not been there I would have just gone to lie down. Pneumonia can be the silent killer, so watch for any additional symptoms and do not ignore them!

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Sepsis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sepsis?