Viewer Comments: Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Treatments

How was your sepsis treated?

Comment from: mona, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My husband was septic and was treated with Levaquin.

Comment from: Hilary, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My husband is at this moment very ill with it, he has had a water infection time after time over the past 15 years and the antibiotics have been masking but not clearing the infections .Thank god we had a descent emergency doctor tend to him over the weekend and got him admitted to the hospital. Hopefully he will have a full recovery.

Comment from: enkay, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 27

My 74 year old mum developed sepsis. She was admitted to hospital when I called an ambulance but died within 24 hours of multiple organ failure.

Comment from: ShaNayNay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had been diagnosed with pneumonia in my right lung. I have no fever, 98% oxygen level, normal blood pressure, cough, short of breath and a lot of sinus drainage. I went home. Two hours later I was developing a sharp pain on my right side in the kidney area. I checked in to the ER. I was admitted to a regular room. About 4 hrs later I was in ICU w/ blood pressure of 60/42. I had developed sepsis that fast! I spent 3 days in ICU, had to have my right lung drained (which is very painful) and spent a total of 10 days in the hospital. There was no indication to get to the ER until the pain in my side started, and even then I just thought I had pulled something coughing. Had my friend not been there I would have just gone to lie down. Pneumonia can be the silent killer, so watch for any additional symptoms and do not ignore them!

Comment from: Princess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I just got out of the hospital after 7 days of being treated for sepsis. I was on IVs for 7 days, and 2 antibiotics day and night. I had all the symptoms and my husband called 911 for the paramedics to take me to the emergency room. I really didn't realize just how serious my condition was. I wish I knew how to prevent getting it again.

Comment from: Linda B, Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

All I know is this infection Sepsis is a bad boy for sure. My mother-in-law age 83 got it from a tooth extraction back in November and has taken antibiotic after antibiotic. She has had all the symptoms that you all have mentioned.

Comment from: SepsisSurvivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I'd like to add another cause: broken placenta that was left in the uterus for two weeks and became infected. It was not until it was removed via D&E that some of the toxins entered the bloodstream and caused the septic shock I experienced. Treatment was aggressive IV treatment and a stay in the ICU. I fortunately recovered but it was close.

I got this infection after surgery. I had all the symptoms listed here. This is no fun for sure! I had a high fever and uncontrollable shakes throughout my body. I had it for just under 48 hours. My doctor tried 3 antibiotics! The third one kicked it!

Must Read Articles Related to Sepsis (Blood Infection)

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Bacterial pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Pneumonia i...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis:

Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Sepsis - Symptoms and Signs

What were your sepsis symptoms and signs?