Severe Allergic Reaction
Severe Allergic Reaction Overview
Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that occurs rapidly and causes a life-threatening response involving the whole body. This reaction can lead to difficulty breathing and shock ultimately leading to death.
For an anaphylactic reaction to occur, you must have been exposed in the past to the substance that causes the reaction, called the antigen. This is called "sensitization."
- A bee sting, for example, may not cause an allergic reaction the first time.
- Another bee sting may produce a sudden, severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock.
These reactions usually occur within seconds to minutes of exposure. Occasionally, they are delayed.
You may develop sensitivity and anaphylaxis to a substance that you have been exposed to many times in the past without a reaction, and often people don't recall the previous exposure.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/10/2014
Jerry R. Balentine, DO, FACEP
Must Read Articles Related to Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock)
Some allergens are simply impossible to avoid. You cannot live a normal life and completely avoid pollen, dust mites, mold spores, and certain other common trig...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock):