Viewer Comments: Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock):

Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis

...
Comment from: soon to be MD, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

About 15 years ago I had my first experience with anaphylaxis. I had a kidney infection and was prescribed a medication that I later found out I was allergic to. I took one pill and with a few minutes of the pill being swallowed, I broke out in hives. The pill didn't even have time to get into my system. It had only been 10 minutes since I swallowed the pill. I told my husband that I was itching all over, and I picked up the phone to dial 911. I got the operator on the phone and started to tell her what was happening when I started to slur my words. My husband had to take the phone from me. My airway was beginning to close. They immediately sent an ambulance. When the paramedics arrived they started an IV and gave me some fluids and epinephrine. At that point I passed out. The next thing I remember anything I was in the hospital emergency room and they were working on me with the crash cart next to the bed. The blood pressure reading at that point was 60/40. I have no idea what it was when I was passed out or what happened while I was out. I just know that the first thing the doctor said to me when I woke up was: "Ma'am if you ever come in contact with this medicine or any other quinolone again you will die. You are lucky to make it back this time."

Comment from: Stephanie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 19

Maria!! Please go and get a scratch test at least to start, and I would hope you are seeing an allergist....this is very serious..it only takes minutes to die from anaphlaxis....and once your airway closes...well....please all of you it is better to be safe..if you have had this reaction in your medical history go straight to the ER if you are itchy, short of breath etc. if you have just eaten something, drank something, taken a medication, gotten stung by an insect, been exposed to latex or have just exercised and experience any of those same symptoms again please go to the ER immediatly!!!!!

Comment from: Marla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I'm 52 and I just had my first Anaphylactic Reaction. My husband and I went out to IHOP for breakfast and the food was great! Afterwards we went to run some errands and by the time we got to our second stop and in the store I asked my husband for the keys to the car, I thought I was going to pass out. He wanted to take me to urgent care but I thought I needed to lie down and rest for a bit. By the time we got home I was having trouble breathing and I broke out with a rash all over my body and itched terrible. My chest was so tight that it hurt and my words would not come out right for me. They were all mixed up and out of order. That's when he called 911 and my vitals were very low by the time they got me to the hospital. I now have to carry an Epi Pen with me at all times in case it happens again. The scary part is that I have no idea what food I am allergic to. This just happened on October 10, 2009.

Comment from: Terry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I'm 59 yrs. old and two years ago I started having reactions when I would eat red peppers or jalapeno peppers. My tounge will swell up to an alarming size, so I could hardly breath. I would wake up in the middle of the night and would have to go directly to the emergency room. They would put an IV in me and wait for the swelling to go down. Then I'd go home and try not to eat whatever it was I ate again. I'm really scared that I won't make it one of these times.

Comment from: sunnibuni1966, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

My first Anaphylaxis reaction was 19 years ago during the delivery of my daughter. I had received an epidural, within minutes, I began experiencing trouble breathing and my blood pressure started to drop. When my blood pressure dropped to 60/40 I could no longer see but could hear. I awoke 3 hours later with my IV in the other arm, (my IV tube had collapsed) and was still in labor. My reaction was attributed to the pregnancy and no warnings were given. 3 years later when I was delivering my son by c-section I was give a spinal block with the same reaction. Still all was contributed to being pregnant and was not given any warnings. A few years ago I had carpal tunnel surgery and was administered a beer block on my arm. Within 5 minutes, I was having convulsions, had no detectable pulse. I was out for 8 hours. Finally I was told never to have a block anesthetic administered again. I am still not sure exactly what causes the reaction. I do fine with general anesthetic and local as long as it is not administered through IV. I have to argue with anesthesiologists every time I have a minor surgery or medical procedure performed.

Comment from: nyahsnanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have asthma and have allergies, but with antihistamines I have always been fine, just before Christmas I had eaten a banana sandwich, and within minutes I had a feeling of pain in my lower bowel and as I rushed up the stairs for the little office, I all of a sudden got this feeling in my feet like I was being electrocuted and it was like an itch then it shot up my body and I was so itchy. I grabbed my phone called my friend and told her she said get an antihistamine quick I am on my way. I had to go to the little office and then I collapsed on the floor lucky I had taken the antihistamine first, then I came round called 911 and told them what was happening, the paramedics turned up and so did my friend. My blood pressure was very low, my friend stayed with me after the paramedics went. I would not go to the hospital. Anyhow I went to my g.p who has made me an appointment to find out what caused the bad reaction, and I carry an epi pen everywhere I go just in case. If you have a strange feeling like this do not ignore it. Call the emergency agents asap. It is a life threatening thing and very very scary.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock)

Allergy Shots
Allergy Shots Some allergens are simply impossible to avoid. You cannot live a normal life and completely avoid pollen, dust mites, mold spores, and certain other common trig...learn more >>

Anaphylaxis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your anaphylaxis?

Anaphylaxis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your anaphylaxis?