Viewer Comments: Anaphylaxis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock):

Anaphylaxis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your anaphylaxis?

Comment from: Millie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Started felling that overall "something was not right," feet and hands started to tingle, I got somewhat anxious, which I NEVER DO. Then felt dizzy and could not hear. Had to hang on to a wall. Then I had cramps and made it to the toilet and emptied my entire body of stool and fluid. I thought if I did not get out of the bathroom I would die "on these white and green tiles." I happened to be in a hospital at the time, as my aunt was dying. I made it out of the room the nurse took my B/P (and turned the machine away from me with a weird look on her face) I turned it back to me and read 20/20. By that time I was soaking wet, skin was red and I wanted to itch my head and feet off. All this took about 5 min. I think I was confused and rambling also. Not real clear on that part. Was admitted. When discharged 24 hours later my B/P was still 60/40 and until I took a prednisone my throat was "thick". Scared the crap out of me. Oh, I am an RN. Took Aleve. Had been taking Motrin daily for back aches for a couple of years. Not taking it anymore!

Comment from: jacki08, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I got overdosed in the theatre, and I have hypertension episodes, absolutely wet. I am thoroughly confused with pain and fear, I can't go out.

Comment from: greig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I was running a brush loader clearing land when I hit a hornets' nest. I was stung 10 times about the hand and face. I jumped off the loader and started to walk to the road when I felt like was getting mildly electrocuted. This was within one minute of being stung. I fell down and couldn't maintain my balance and passed out briefly. I lay there paralyzed thinking I'm going to die when I see my work partner. I weakly yelled and he put me on the ATV. He took me to the house and I told him to get me Benadryl. I took two and I felt better. Later, I went to the emergency room where they gave me two bags of I.V. fluid and adrenalin shots. This was the scariest experience of my life.

Comment from: Reba, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My hands get warm and start to itch.

Comment from: RS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am 63 years old and have been treated by an allergist for 6 years. Until about 1 1/2 years ago, my allergies were totally controlled. In the meantime, I had been diagnosed with IBS. I was in cedar and brush for most of the day and woke up vomiting with diarrhea, sweating, and cramps. Later on, I was coughing until I thought I had broken my ribs and I was unable to get my congestion under control. I assumed this was triggered by an IBS attack, but my allergist told me this was an anaphylactic reaction and had me get Epi-pens.

Comment from: willow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I am a 68 year old healthy woman. I have horses and take care of them every day for 15 years. This has happened to me four times in the last two months. My hairline at the forehead starts to tingle and then it washes down my body I turn blood red to my knees. It feels like I am on fire with hot needles sticking me. I don't feel bad other than that. I take Benadryl and it subsides.

Comment from: Female Published: July 25

I ate several king crab legs last night. I love them and have eaten them many times before. My throat swelled quite quickly and I thought that strep throat was happening. I could grab my tubes at the front of the neck and move them easily. They were large. It hurt to talk and even swallow. I went to bed and my right ear woke me with pain. (I lay on my right) worst pain I have had in my ear ever.My husband brought me a heat pack and an Aleve pain pill. I went to sleep and woke with my ear still sore and light headedness. I think I will head to the Dr. today.