Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

...
Comment from: Sue, Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I first noticed a stabbing pain under my left breast and thought I had been stung by a spider. By night-time it really hurt and I could not figure out why such tiny pimples would hurt so badly. Two days later I realized they were now on my back too. In retrospect, I remember having severe muscle pain in my upper right arm and associated it with pulling a muscle while walking my large dog. By the 3rd day, my back started to hurt (not where the shingles are) and my left rib-cage ached as if I pulled something. I told a friend that my rash was weird because it was only on one side of my body and she told me I have shingles. I went to the doctor and they started me on the anti-viral medication. I have mild headaches and muscle aches and if I eat a full meal, my stomach is hurting. I do think the medication is helping although it is only 24 hours. My advice would be to get the spots checked right away and not wait a few more days like I did. I did not want to spend a USD 35 co-pay and be told it was something minor.

Comment from: Bary, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I never knew I had chicken pox but, when I was 15 or 16, I had a small patch of blisters break out on my left side rib cage. I didn't know they were shingles but now I have read you can get the shingle blisters at your initial chicken pox exposure and not really show other signs. Here it is some 50 years later and I had performed some yard work and thought I had strained the muscles on my rib cage. The pain was intense for about two days and the blisters appeared on my rib cage from the center of my chest around to my spine in the classic ribbon. The pain is intense. It is now about day 9 for the blisters and they seem to be starting to dry up but the horrible pain is still there. Hopefully I will be able to sleep again. I'm getting the vaccine as soon as I am over this. I can't afford a doctor so I am riding this out by myself.

Comment from: Pat in Michigan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

The shingles started out with a sunburn-like feeling on the right side of my neck, and by that evening I had two blisters on the back of my neck. By the next morning I had a 2 inch patch, and by that evening two more patches. By the next morning another patch with a few blisters here and there. I'm now in the 4th day and getting some stabbing pains up the back of my skull.

Comment from: Hairdo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had usual sore muscles on Friday. I always get some and stiffness around weather changes. I woke up Saturday with a 2 inch diameter rash on my back. I thought I had poison ivy. At this time I have no pain and it only slightly itches so I have not scratched. By Tuesday I decided it could not be poison ivy because it would have itched worse. I had suspicions it was shingles. I still had no pain. I went to the doctor and they say it is shingles and prescribed anti-viral medicines. I can't figure out why I am not having pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 50 year old woman who has had many bouts with kidney stones (always on my left side) for the last two decades. So when I started having back pain on my left side in the area of my kidney and it didn't go away after several days, I went to see my urologist. He did a CT scan to check for a stone and that came back negative. Two days later I woke up with a painful rash in the same spot and went to my doctor to find out I had shingles. I never realized that you could have pain under the skin, like almost muscular, and it could be shingles.

Comment from: Castlefield, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a 57 year old female. My twin sister developed shingles 10 years ago and my mother had it at age 76. It started as a red looking pimple on my left lower stomach. Then I had a similar red pimple on my back. I showed it to a physician who told me it was nothing. It was not until I showed the physician the spread of the rash and flaking of the skin that he finally realized I had shingles. The pain is deep and very painful, sensitive to touch. It is difficult to sleep on your back or stomach as the rash covers both areas. Painkillers do not kill the pain.

Comment from: KMR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had the shingles vaccine about two years ago at age 56. Six months later, I developed a bad case of shingles without the rash. I then developed a post herpetic neuralgia that would act up when I was under a lot of stress or my immune system was overtaxed. Then just recently, I fell badly while hiking and then a week later misjudged the last step of our stairs and took a hard fall. Two days later, the pain started up and now I am dealing with my second bout of shingles, again (thus far) without a rash. The burning pain is unmistakably shingles and is in the same place, wrapping around the right side of my lower torso.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?