Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

For me, shingles started four days before the rash appeared, with severe pain, especially at night. Thought I had kidney stones, as it was in the side. I was prescribed Acyclovir, an anti-viral drug also something for the pain. The pain is incredibly severe, unbearable at times, and I feel desperately sorry for anyone suffering from this illness. I can only hope mine improves over the coming days.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I noticed redness under my chin bone on the left side, with no pain. A few days later there was a teeny scab on the little bumps that occurred. It looked like a series of bug bites. A few days later I had a migraine-like headache that lasted most of the day. I stayed in a dark room and rested. A couple of days later there was very severe pain at the base of my hairline on the same side. I described it as feeling like something inside had torn. Touching it made it worse. I went to the doctor, who gave me prescription for Valacyclovir HCI 1 gram tablets. She told me to take 3 a day for 7 days. I am beginning my 3rd day and just noticed the directions on the bottle are 1 every 8 hours. I've been taking them about every four hours! So far there are no blisters but there is a lot of itching that began yesterday, about a week after I noticed the redness that got lumpy. I am concerned that our granddaughter may come down with chicken pox since we hugged before I was diagnosed.

Related Reading: Valacyclovir

Comment from: Mimi46, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I thought I had spider bites on my shoulder and back of neck because of the extreme soreness, redness, burning and constant pain. Then over next few days more "bites" appeared on my neck, shoulders and then chest, and I had swollen lymph nodes in my neck. They burned and itched like mad and I was running a low grade fever and felt flu-like. I was actually hesitant to go to doctor for such a silly thing as a spider bite but I knew I just did not feel well. My diagnosis was a complete shock!

Comment from: lauren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

Before I understood that it was shingles, I encountered serve pain on the right side of the body, particularly in the thigh, then around the back and breast area. It was so bad that wearing a bra was unbearable.

Comment from: cat-dancer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

My shingles started as an ache in my pelvic area, it seemed my bones hurt. Then the next day it localized to the small of my back, with shooting pains through my left hip. I thought I had put my back out, even though I was getting general aches and pains like the beginnings of the flu. The third day came and there were lumps on my back, spreading over the next two days around my hip to my lower stomach. They were a little painful though not too bad, but over the next two weeks the pain increased, as did the dreadful tingling and numbness. It itches constantly but scratching does not alleviate it, it just makes it worse. I take analgesics constantly, if I don't the aches and pain gets too much to bear.

Comment from: meekjoellen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have a rash on the left side of face by the eye. It itches and burns.

Comment from: Glory, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had had a mild pain in the back of neck and the left shoulder for quite a long time. I also had a tingling and pricking sensation in the same places. Doctors said nothing was wrong. Then suddenly the pain became unbearable and in two days I had the characteristic rash. Although my doctor diagnosed it immediately and put me on the right antiviral medication, an absent-minded pharmacist gave me five times less of the required dosage and the first two days of treatment were lost. I realized that on the third day and started the right treatment and felt the result right on the next day - the pain was no longer so excruciating and the spray did a miracle, because the blisters did not break but were reabsorbed and developed crusts.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I started with a patch of red bumps in the crease of my right leg and pubic area and a patch of bumps above my pubic bone. They then traveled to a spot on my right thigh, a spot on my belly and then around to my back and buttock. Back pain was excrutiating. Since my husband had this two years ago, I knew to get myself to the ER right away so medicine could be prescribed. I am having extreme tiredness, also.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?