Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were your shingles symptoms and signs?

...
Comment from: Suzybfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am a 54 year old female, I broke out with shingles in April of 2015. At first I woke up with a broken rib feeling in my left side. This lasted about 4 days. Next, little rows of pin dots that looked similar to scabies (which is what I thought I had). I took real hot baths with borax thinking it would kill scabies. Big mistake, next the blisters formed from front of abdomen wrapping around to the back. By this time I was in excruciating pain like I never felt before. My doctor prescribed Valtrex and Percocet. It took 2 months to recover and I still have scars and lingering skin pain. I also was prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain. It is now February 2016. I am certain I am breaking out with shingles again but this time on my left chest. First a numb feeling on left side of chest in about a 5 inch circle. An aching like a pulled muscle with spasms of pain for about 3 days. Now it's a feeling like a sunburn. I began Valtrex about the second day. So far the blisters have not appeared. I am hoping the Valtrex will halt it.

Comment from: Jennifer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have had shingles now for 3 weeks and the pain is vile. I have seen online that vitamins B12, E and C really help, I will try anything. I suffer osteoporosis in my spine and this is bad enough but the pain shingles has left me in my left lung is just excruciating.

Comment from: Statinized, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My case of shingles started 3 weeks ago. I had severe red-hot pain down the back of my left buttock and leg but no blisters or sores. This could be because I had the shingles vaccine in April 2014. A different deep, intermittent, pinched-nerve type pain started nearby in my buttock last week, and now I'm using a cane to keep it from flaring. My doctor didn't prescribe an anti-viral since he thought my case would be mild. No painkiller has been effective. Now I have neuropathy in the area too and I hope it goes away with the more severe pain.

Comment from: Deeb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I received the shingles vaccine a few years ago and just got diagnosed with shingles by a dermatologist, so I am taking Valtrex and Synalar cream. It doesn't hurt, just a little itchy, it feels like a mild sunburn. I suppose it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't been vaccinated.

Comment from: Sue, Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I first noticed a stabbing pain under my left breast and thought I had been stung by a spider. By night-time it really hurt and I could not figure out why such tiny pimples would hurt so badly. Two days later I realized they were now on my back too. In retrospect, I remember having severe muscle pain in my upper right arm and associated it with pulling a muscle while walking my large dog. By the 3rd day, my back started to hurt (not where the shingles are) and my left rib-cage ached as if I pulled something. I told a friend that my rash was weird because it was only on one side of my body and she told me I have shingles. I went to the doctor and they started me on the anti-viral medication. I have mild headaches and muscle aches and if I eat a full meal, my stomach is hurting. I do think the medication is helping although it is only 24 hours. My advice would be to get the spots checked right away and not wait a few more days like I did. I did not want to spend a USD 35 co-pay and be told it was something minor.

Comment from: Bary, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I never knew I had chicken pox but, when I was 15 or 16, I had a small patch of blisters break out on my left side rib cage. I didn't know they were shingles but now I have read you can get the shingle blisters at your initial chicken pox exposure and not really show other signs. Here it is some 50 years later and I had performed some yard work and thought I had strained the muscles on my rib cage. The pain was intense for about two days and the blisters appeared on my rib cage from the center of my chest around to my spine in the classic ribbon. The pain is intense. It is now about day 9 for the blisters and they seem to be starting to dry up but the horrible pain is still there. Hopefully I will be able to sleep again. I'm getting the vaccine as soon as I am over this. I can't afford a doctor so I am riding this out by myself.

Comment from: Pat in Michigan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

The shingles started out with a sunburn-like feeling on the right side of my neck, and by that evening I had two blisters on the back of my neck. By the next morning I had a 2 inch patch, and by that evening two more patches. By the next morning another patch with a few blisters here and there. I'm now in the 4th day and getting some stabbing pains up the back of my skull.

Comment from: Hairdo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had usual sore muscles on Friday. I always get some and stiffness around weather changes. I woke up Saturday with a 2 inch diameter rash on my back. I thought I had poison ivy. At this time I have no pain and it only slightly itches so I have not scratched. By Tuesday I decided it could not be poison ivy because it would have itched worse. I had suspicions it was shingles. I still had no pain. I went to the doctor and they say it is shingles and prescribed anti-viral medicines. I can't figure out why I am not having pain.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox (varicella) is a highly learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?