Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Comment from: benstanklin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I thought I had another bout with poison ivy or allergy to a new medicine I was taking but strangely the rash which started on the middle of my back and curved around my side was sensitive but not that itchy. Well, after about a week the pain started flaring up. It quickly became excruciating. I took a Vicodin which barely helped so off I went to the emergency room (ER). It took ER staff about 3 seconds to confirm it was shingles. In Spanish it is called 'culebrilla' which means 'little snake' which apropos to a snake as the rash snakes along the nerve endings. My advice to all is to get it checked out as soon as something suspicious appears as supposedly the anti-viral medicines are more effective when given earlier and can save you some misery.

Comment from: j. fox, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I now realize that I have suffered from shingles from the age of 20. I now know at the age of 53 my symptoms. I feel drained, so tired I sleep at any opportunity, suffer night sweats and niggling pain. This happens for about 3 to 5 days and then the real pain starts. I get shingles on my right buttock, so my pain affects my inner groin, my right buttock and all down my right leg, so much so that even my jeans hurt when touching the leg. It goes down to my big toe and I have for years been misdiagnosed with sciatica. Once the blisters appear I put cold sore cream on them and this helps a lot. Four days later the pain goes. I have got fed up with doctors telling me it can't be shingles because you only get it once. I have the scars to prove it!

Comment from: Elizabeth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

My shingles started out as much pain in my mouth and a few pimple-like bumps on my chin. I thought I had an infection in my mouth and tried to see a dentist. I couldn't see a dentist and started having pain in my ear. Then figured this was not just an infection in my mouth but something a doctor should look at. I went to my doctor and the nurse said it looked like shingles to her. The doctor said it was a skin infection and prescribed an antibiotic. When I asked if that was also the reason for the pain in my ear he said he would give me some ear drops for that. When I asked him if that would also help the very painful mouth I had, he said he would give me a mouthwash for that.

Comment from: donawa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

My shingles symptoms were terrible all over feeling with burning of skin in the front torso area. I had shingles shot last year, yet diagnosed a day later with shingles and started on medicines the next day. Mild case of blisters from front torso to back spine area, but I have excruciating pain. The doctor prescribed 3 Advil and Tylenol with Codeine. I have terrible itching on arms, hands, legs, and feet in reaction to the medication. The doctor gave me a steroid shot followed by 5 days of prednisone which helped with itching rash. But all the medications caused my blood pressure to spike and I took a trip to the emergency room (ER). I started spraying with essential oils every day which was the key to no itching on the shingles area at all and the blisters scabbed over quickly. After 4 weeks my skin (front torso area) continues to be very sensitive to touch and especially to clothing around my waist. I mixed 30 drops of eucalyptus, essential oils of lavender and tea tree with coconut oil and sprayed all areas 4 times per day and before bed. Relief!

Comment from: Angelsongs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had really bad muscle pain in my shoulder in back on my right side, and it went around to my breast. In a few days the rash was all over my right breast around to my back. I went to the doctor and found it was shingles. The muscle pain in my shoulder has been with me the whole time. It has now been over a month. I have had these awful nerve pains the whole time also in my breast. Boy, does it hurt! I was supposed to have my mammogram, but who knows when I can have that now. No way can I do that with this pain. I hope this pain goes away in my breast soon. It feels like needles, and it feels like one trying to go through my nipple, ouch! I hope I don't get this again.

Comment from: pmor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I've had shingles for a week now and the pain is so fire hot and stingy. I want this to go away. It's very painful. I do not wish this on my worst enemy. Fortunately my now red blisters are small. I'm told it will go away.

Comment from: YahsGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

Well, I self-diagnosed myself with shingles two weeks ago. Bumps started in the middle spinal region, moving its way around the right side of my ribs to sensitivity to my abdomen. The bumps are going away thanks to this cream I bought that also helps with the pain. I bought it from a local shop, called Soothing cream, and it has eucalyptus, tea tree oil, lemon tea tree oil, etc. It smells really good, but most importantly does help ease the pain. I am now experiencing the pain in my bones. It feels like I am misaligned or something, or like a broken bone, but when my husband massages it, I can barely feel it. The worse pain ever, and I hope this doesn't mean I have permanent damage, as I am very active normally and love weight training! I am only 31 years old, so that also kind of worries me. I so need to go back to the gym, but I know I need the rest.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?