Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 07

I'm 58 and have shingles on the left side of my forehead, into my scalp and around my left eye. They started out as a painful tingling feeling then the blisters appeared. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to something as I also had an upset stomach but on day 3 the doctor diagnosed shingles. I started on meds and then had to add prednisone due to swelling around my eye. The scabs look terrible but the pain is not bad - just a tingle now and then. Unfortunately with it on my face I'm looking rather scary.

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: Petunia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I started with high sensitivity on my inner upper arm. I could not find a position for my arm at night. I could not sleep for three nights. Then spots, hives showed, went to doctor and was told it looks like shingles. By then 2 of the spots had blistered. I was prescribed Acyclovir, 5x a day for 7 days. All I could do was sleep. Get up take meds, eat, sleep. By the 4th day I could stay up most of the day. Everything on my upper torso tingles. The spots continued to progress down my arm to the finger tips. My palm has pinpoint spots. Now it is day 5 and the pain is worse. Spots have darkened as the Doctor said they would. I am tingling more. Just bearable.

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I had pox when young, and I am now 66. I thought I'd overdone bouncing on a snow plow. The next day my hip hurt really badly. I went to a chiropractor and he didn't help at all. I went to another and he said put cold then heat. I went to another doctor and I could hardly walk. He told me I have shingles gave me pills for the rash and more pills for pain. It is now 4 weeks later, and I am still in more pain than I can stand.

Comment from: jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have a tingling pain on my mid torso and around to the front. I also feel tired and sick.

Comment from: Mathavan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I feel sad for the people who had shingles because I am suffering from the same. It started with left naval and left hip side. Luckily I went to doctor and the blisters are not there. The spots are changing to skin color. However, I have swelling and burning pain and I don't know when this horror is going to end. I was not given any medicine after blisters have gone and I told the doctor about pain but the doctor tells me that it will go automatically.

Comment from: April, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was just diagnosed today. For the past five days I have had a band of red from the midpoint of my abdomen just above my public bone and spreading out toward my left hip; then around the back a small dot on my upper left buttock. I could not figure out what it was, but last night I was up almost all night with pain shooting down my leg. I was afraid it might be genital herpes (even though I couldn't figure out how that would be possible), but there are no blisters anywhere in that area. Went to the doctor and he said it was a classic case of shingles. All I know is it hurts like crazy. He said he wished I had come in a few days earlier, but put me on acyclovir and steroids and gave me oxycodone for the pain. I just want this to go away. Hopefully it does and I never have to deal with it again. Wish me luck!

Related Reading: oxycodone

Comment from: sandild, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Sadly I was 42 when I got my first case of shingles. I've had it four times now, mostly on the upper region of my face and to the side on my lower back. Oh and of course the pain didn't leave after the blisters, they put me on a nerve blocker called Neurontin which did the trick for me after nine weeks of sheer agony. My heart goes out to anyone who has this illness. For me it seemed like the pain would never end, pain killers did nothing to ease the pain. It was a big stressor, but not anymore, so if you have shingles stop...breathe...and try to get through it, it will pass eventually.

Comment from: Woman 56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

When I developed shingles, it started with nausea and intense hip pain. I broke out two days later with spots middle back to front close to belly button. Now, I have stinging pain and itching.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?