Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Comment from: Angelsongs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had really bad muscle pain in my shoulder in back on my right side, and it went around to my breast. In a few days the rash was all over my right breast around to my back. I went to the doctor and found it was shingles. The muscle pain in my shoulder has been with me the whole time. It has now been over a month. I have had these awful nerve pains the whole time also in my breast. Boy, does it hurt! I was supposed to have my mammogram, but who knows when I can have that now. No way can I do that with this pain. I hope this pain goes away in my breast soon. It feels like needles, and it feels like one trying to go through my nipple, ouch! I hope I don't get this again.

Comment from: pmor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I've had shingles for a week now and the pain is so fire hot and stingy. I want this to go away. It's very painful. I do not wish this on my worst enemy. Fortunately my now red blisters are small. I'm told it will go away.

Comment from: YahsGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

Well, I self-diagnosed myself with shingles two weeks ago. Bumps started in the middle spinal region, moving its way around the right side of my ribs to sensitivity to my abdomen. The bumps are going away thanks to this cream I bought that also helps with the pain. I bought it from a local shop, called Soothing cream, and it has eucalyptus, tea tree oil, lemon tea tree oil, etc. It smells really good, but most importantly does help ease the pain. I am now experiencing the pain in my bones. It feels like I am misaligned or something, or like a broken bone, but when my husband massages it, I can barely feel it. The worse pain ever, and I hope this doesn't mean I have permanent damage, as I am very active normally and love weight training! I am only 31 years old, so that also kind of worries me. I so need to go back to the gym, but I know I need the rest.

Comment from: Izzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

With shingles I had itching in the back of my head. Then came a few red dots (spots) on the left side of my face and neck.

Comment from: TrueBlue32, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I went in with many of the same shingles symptoms people are talking about; spider bite, in a strange spot (upper arm), etc. Luckily I had health insurance at the time and could afford to see a doctor who suggested doing a swab test on the blister. It turned out what was diagnosed at an Urgent Care as shingles was, testing on a lab swab, HSV II (genital herpes). My personal feeling is both viruses travel through your body and the doctors diagnose without properly qualifying it (swab and test the blister). Many people with herpes don't know they even have it. And herpes apparently can pop out on any of your nerve paths. Either way, I appreciate I know so I can take better care of myself and my partner.

Comment from: stacey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I want all to know that age has nothing to do with this disease. I was only 43 and I got the shingles in my eye. It has caused a lot of damage and I have had to have cataract surgery already due to all of the medicines they give me. I wish they would change the age on the shot as I cannot get it because I'm too young. Age has nothing to do with this and why they classify this as an old person disease is unbelievable. Please take care of yourself if you have this. Don't take it lightly.

Comment from: jenni21264, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am 39, not the usual age for shingles. I also have lupus. I had had a lupus flare and received a dose of IV steroids. The next day my inner left thigh had a spot that was extremely painful. It felt like something was in the seam of my pants constantly rubbing the same spot raw. A couple of days later a red rash appeared and then the blisters. The doctor gave me Valtrex and Neurontin. Then I developed chills, diarrhea, vomiting, and headaches. I don't know if that's from the shingles or if I'm just lucky enough to get a stomach bug on top of everything else! I never would have thought such a small area could be so painful!

Comment from: every30days, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had my first round of shingles at the age of 20 and it was really bad. I had the blisters that wrapped around my waist from my spine to my belly button. It was last year when planning my daughter's wedding with all the stress, I broke out again with a spot above my tail bone about the size of a golf ball. I had pain in my synaptic nerve, down my left side and my hips were in so much pain I could barely walk. I also had lower back pain as though I had thrown my back out and had a fever like the flu. It was miserable. I work for a doctor and when I showed him the patch he told me, “Go home you have shingles!” Well, now whenever I am stressed or at least every 30-40 days, I break out. It's the same spot and the pain gets worse every time.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?