Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Comment from: Izzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

With shingles I had itching in the back of my head. Then came a few red dots (spots) on the left side of my face and neck.

Comment from: TrueBlue32, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I went in with many of the same shingles symptoms people are talking about; spider bite, in a strange spot (upper arm), etc. Luckily I had health insurance at the time and could afford to see a doctor who suggested doing a swab test on the blister. It turned out what was diagnosed at an Urgent Care as shingles was, testing on a lab swab, HSV II (genital herpes). My personal feeling is both viruses travel through your body and the doctors diagnose without properly qualifying it (swab and test the blister). Many people with herpes don't know they even have it. And herpes apparently can pop out on any of your nerve paths. Either way, I appreciate I know so I can take better care of myself and my partner.

Comment from: stacey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I want all to know that age has nothing to do with this disease. I was only 43 and I got the shingles in my eye. It has caused a lot of damage and I have had to have cataract surgery already due to all of the medicines they give me. I wish they would change the age on the shot as I cannot get it because I'm too young. Age has nothing to do with this and why they classify this as an old person disease is unbelievable. Please take care of yourself if you have this. Don't take it lightly.

Comment from: jenni21264, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am 39, not the usual age for shingles. I also have lupus. I had had a lupus flare and received a dose of IV steroids. The next day my inner left thigh had a spot that was extremely painful. It felt like something was in the seam of my pants constantly rubbing the same spot raw. A couple of days later a red rash appeared and then the blisters. The doctor gave me Valtrex and Neurontin. Then I developed chills, diarrhea, vomiting, and headaches. I don't know if that's from the shingles or if I'm just lucky enough to get a stomach bug on top of everything else! I never would have thought such a small area could be so painful!

Comment from: every30days, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had my first round of shingles at the age of 20 and it was really bad. I had the blisters that wrapped around my waist from my spine to my belly button. It was last year when planning my daughter's wedding with all the stress, I broke out again with a spot above my tail bone about the size of a golf ball. I had pain in my synaptic nerve, down my left side and my hips were in so much pain I could barely walk. I also had lower back pain as though I had thrown my back out and had a fever like the flu. It was miserable. I work for a doctor and when I showed him the patch he told me, “Go home you have shingles!” Well, now whenever I am stressed or at least every 30-40 days, I break out. It's the same spot and the pain gets worse every time.

Comment from: All the Shingle Ladies, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

It started with a burning pain much like windburn or chafing. I asked my spouse if he could see anything on my back because it hurt. Nothing was there. Then three to four days later, a small red spot appeared. I thought maybe my bra was chafing me. Then the next day, a red raised cluster appeared. I immediately went to the doctor because I knew it was shingles, as I am a nurse. I have a very high pain tolerance. I had been under a lot of stress. I started on antivirals and hopefully the quick treatment will stop it in its tracks. The pain is from the site of the rash on my back all the way to front of my body under my breast. It follows the nerves, so you can have pain even where there is no rash. I am told if caught within first seven days, treatment with antivirals is usually very successful so I am hopeful.

Comment from: snowbear55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I thought I had twisted my back at first. My spine was very sore. Then I noticed itching and bumps first on my right groin area. They traveled to my buttock, lower back and down the front of my right leg above the knee. Just spots here and there, mind you. I went to a doctor, who gave me an anti-viral and a nerve pain medication. I went to my regular doctor and he prescribed a prescription pain medication and a triple-up on the nerve pain meds. The hip pain is horrible. It's so very painful. The fiery, tingling, and itching -- I didn't think I would get them this bad.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?