Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Comment from: Big Mama53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Mine started with my side itching. There were no bumps. I tried to scratch it, but when I touched my side, I had pain like a thousand needles stabbing me. A few dates later the bumps appeared. I ran a low-grade fever, no more than 100 degrees. The bumps are bigger than last time, but the pain is the same.

Comment from: Bab, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 16

I have had the shingles 3 times this year. It is always in the same places and starts in the same exact spot each time. I have a bad headache the first 2 to 3 days and hurt all over. I break out on the 2nd or 3rd day.

Comment from: KUY, Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had shingles a couple of years ago. It started with a tingling, almost itchy feel across the top of my left leg/thigh. I have mild hip dysplasia and suffer from pain in the hips often so it was only when the blisters came that I went to the doctor to have it checked out. She gave me antivirals and pain meds. Calamine lotion helped sooth the burning/itching sensation. My concern now is that I've just finished a course of cortisone for bronchitis and worried that it will bring the shingles back.

Comment from: Sonia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I'm 36 and my shingles started as pain in my right lower back and hip. Since I have lower back issues already, I thought it was just a flare-up of that. I then had extreme itching in my groin and a couple days later I noticed four bumps in a row above my pelvis. I thought they were bedbug bites. After doing some research online and talking to my mom, we settled on shingles. This was then confirmed by my doctor just yesterday. I'm now using a cream called Zostrix. It's only been about a week since it all started and seems to be a pretty mild case so far.

Comment from: tlmooreoc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I thought I was just sunburned! I live near the beach, and it is summer. My chest/ribcage area has been hyper sensitive for several days, and yesterday my side began to itch. Upon investigation, sure enough, there were raised spots which I knew immediately had to be shingles. The worst part, so far, has been the lower back and hip, pain and stiffness. I've been quite tired and irritable (sorry, family!). Best wishes to all you who are suffering. To those over 60 who have not had shingles - get vaccinated! It's not cheap, but I wish I had known about it.

Comment from: charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

First I thought I had a fever. The next day I woke up with a blister rash on the buttock area. The whole right side of my leg and feet were in pain. I thought it might be a food reaction. I went to my doctor and he said I have shingles. He gave me some pills for it and now it is drying after a week. I still have a little pain, but I think I'll be fine.

Comment from: holly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Over a weekend away, I had a sore back so took a heating pad to heat up in the microwave and apply to my sore back. I thought I actually had burned myself a bit with the heating pad so did not give any thought to the blisters. It got worse on Monday and I went to my regular doctor. She started looking at my back and where the pain was. She came around to the side and knew within seconds that I had shingles. I had heard of it but not seen it before. Now I know how debilitating it can be! It took a good 2 months to heal and feel better.

Comment from: LJ, 65-74 Female Published: December 09

My right hand felt like I broke my wrist. I could not figure out how I broke it and the pain was bad. I have a few tiny red marks in the area. I went to the doctor to have to have it checked out and my doctor said it was shingles.

Comment from: shirley, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Before the rash appeared, I noticed a slight stabbing pain on my lower right side. I was running a 99.2 temperature and feeling tired. Within three days the rash appeared. It was scarlet red with yellow blisters appeared from front to back. I was diagnosed with shingles. I took the medicine for six days. The rash was slightly sore but not bothering me greatly. On the inside, the pain felt like an open burn on my skin. The rash lasted for 30 days. It is now 40 days and the constant burn has remained in the same spot. It is not traveling. I spend most days just resting. I also use an ice pack on that spot and melatonin to sleep.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?