Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Comment from: dine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My shingles started on the left side of my back. I went to the doctor, who gave me cortisone and pain medication. My doctor then sent me for an MRI, and I broke out with the rash and hives all over my left buttock and groin area. I am still having problems. I work all day and I'm 55 years old. I just wish the pain and swelling would heal up.

Comment from: cath, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I had a pain in my lower back and side for a few days a sort of tender burning pain, it then progressed right around to my belly button left side I then noticed a few spots and the next day these spots looked slightly yellower reminding me of chickenpox. The next day, there were two more spots that appeared and still burning pain halfway around the waist area. I headed off to doctor who diagnosed me with shingles, and I am just starting medication. The doctor warned me it could get very painful. Fingers crossed, I hope it goes away quickly. He gave me pain medication, too, just in case. It hasn't been too bad so far. I just hope it doesn't itch too much.

Comment from: grateful to optho., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I thought I had scratched my eye - it was irritated, burning, and I had blurred vision. The ophthalmologist recognized that I had shingles, although I did not have a rash yet. I've had shingles at least 3 times before and this was on the same side. Valtrex and antiviral drops cleared it right up.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

When I had shingles, it started with a pain on my left side, going around under my left breast. The pain was a dull pain like a side ache. After a few days a rash started to come on my back side and under my left breast. It has been 5 months and I still have some discomfort under my left breast, like my skin is still numb. A very painful ordeal, hope I never get that again!!

Comment from: Stressed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am a 53 year old woman, who had a mild case of the chicken pox as a child. Two years ago, I had my first shingles outbreak, on my face, near my eye. Two months later I had the same symptoms on the same eye. I was treated with antiviral drops and the pain was minimal. I have had shingles reoccurring every 3-4 months. Each time, I get a small cluster of raised bumps on the left side of my face with minimal pain. I have not had breakouts anyplace else on my body, however I have experienced tingling on my back and once on my thigh. Each time I treat the shingles with Valacyclovir and usually most symptoms are gone in 5-7 days. I strongly believe that stress is a big contributor to shingles.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?