Viewer Comments: Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Comment from: LJ, 65-74 Female Published: December 09

My right hand felt like I broke my wrist. I could not figure out how I broke it and the pain was bad. I have a few tiny red marks in the area. I went to the doctor to have to have it checked out and my doctor said it was shingles.

Comment from: shirley, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Before the rash appeared, I noticed a slight stabbing pain on my lower right side. I was running a 99.2 temperature and feeling tired. Within three days the rash appeared. It was scarlet red with yellow blisters appeared from front to back. I was diagnosed with shingles. I took the medicine for six days. The rash was slightly sore but not bothering me greatly. On the inside, the pain felt like an open burn on my skin. The rash lasted for 30 days. It is now 40 days and the constant burn has remained in the same spot. It is not traveling. I spend most days just resting. I also use an ice pack on that spot and melatonin to sleep.

Comment from: mauigrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

My case started as a backache on my left side which didn't want to go away even after taking ibuprofen. Then a couple days later thought I had mosquito bites. Turns out that I had full blown shingles. I felt like someone was using sandpaper on my back! I also felt listless and drained. I went to a doctor and now I'm on acyclovir, pain medication and prescription ointment. The back pain was pretty bad.

Comment from: Rainy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had a strange tingling and sensitivity on the left side of my lower back. Even clothing brushing up against my skin created a burning and tingling sensation. This became worse after several days, and shooting, spasm-like pains deeper in the affected area started, especially at night. Walking around or being active tends to dampen the pain; staying in bed only made it worse.

Comment from: Timeflies, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have recurring shingles whenever I am highly stressed at work. I am 56 yrs old. I have had them return for the last 8 or 10 yrs. I didn't even know what it was at first. So I went through 2 or 3 outbreaks before my doctor noticed the scars and asked when did I have shingles? I said, "Is that what that is?". He gave me Acyclovir. But usually by the time I realize I am having a breakout the blisters are already forming and I use some itching cream. It was interesting to read others comments. The 'tingling" you talk of, I did not connect that with my shingles. WOW. I break out on my upper left buttock all the time and my leg and hip will tingle/hurt. Now I know that is a first sign that I need to take some meds.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I had shingles on my bottom, many years ago now I'm having pain and burning in same area.

Comment from: daisybee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

Mine started in my eye. I had strange feeling that my eye wouldn't open fully. My cheek had a constant tingle. Next, the whole side of my face just swelled up! There were no blisters on the outside but a mouthful of what I thought were ulcers! The pain is in my jaw and ear too. It has been two awful weeks of doctors and dentists saying I must have a bad tooth that they couldn't see because of the swelling. I just hope this ends soon, am feeling depressed and desperate to ease the pain somehow!

Comment from: skyhawk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

First the skin in my upper left arm was sensitive to touch. There was slight pain when bending my elbow as the skin was stretched. Almost a week later a rash developed on my outer forearm. There was no pain associated with rash though. Over the course of the next few days small areas on my palm, thumb, forefinger and middle finger were painful to touch. These areas then developed into a blistering rash. My doctor prescribed an anti-viral drug and it appears to be slowly working. I had only occasional slight to moderate pain which I controlled with pain killers (aspirin).

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

For me, shingles started four days before the rash appeared, with severe pain, especially at night. Thought I had kidney stones, as it was in the side. I was prescribed Acyclovir, an anti-viral drug also something for the pain. The pain is incredibly severe, unbearable at times, and I feel desperately sorry for anyone suffering from this illness. I can only hope mine improves over the coming days.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?