Viewer Comments: Shingles - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Comment from: Zerocool, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 08

Hello I wanted to post this and hopefully help some people. There is no documented case of this to mine and my doctor's knowledge but this is the best way I can get the word out. My daughter, age 4, has shingles. It's very bad on stomach, wrapping around side and back. It looks like someone burned her with a blow torch. The doctor said this is the youngest case he personally had ever seen. After I called my mom she had told me that my step dad was vaccinated for shingles only 6 days earlier. We looked on the calendar and saw that he came to our house for dinner the next day. My daughter loves her Grandpa and sits on his lap and gives him hugs and kisses most of the time when they come over. I called back her doctor and he said that even though there is NO DOCUMENTED CASES. He said he thinks that her outbreak was triggered by him for sure. He also said that the vaccination is a live virus. And he will definitely be warning patients who get the vaccine about this. He also said that there have been vaccines that have been stated not to be contagious and after a few years they have been over turned to be mildly contiguous. He ended the call saying the shingles vaccine has only been around for about 4 years there probably isn't enough information and feedback about this type of case but he thinks there is definitely something to this. I hope this help some people and if you discover a similar case please document it on the Internet so it case be known.

Comment from: jdkinsurance@verizon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been diabetic for over 10 years, and one day , a week ago, I felt there was a lump over my eye brows. It was very sensitive and painful every time I touched it. Then another one under the hair of my eye brows, every time I touched it it was hurting like pins going through my skin, and then the headache started. Sometimes it was severe and some times it was mild, but it is always there. Then one appeared behind the ear and now the severe pain started all over the head, the ear, and the eye started swelling. Now I have blisters all over the the left side of the head. My family doctor thought it was an insect bite so he gave me Zyrtek, but the eye doctor found out it was the shingles. It is the most painful malady I ever had and now I am on antivirus medication. Healing has started, but the headache is still there.

Comment from: Rick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Here's an observation: My first exposure to shingles came after I re-introduced back bends to a yoga routine after a long hiatus due to an abdominal injury. My lower back flexibility has suffered greatly. So I began to target specific areas. The first area was between T10 and L2. After a few weeks, I developed a rash on my right side accompanied with tingling and skin sensitivity that runs along those dermatomes. The doctor prescribed Famciclovir. These past few weeks, I've targeted the areas between L2 and S2. Oddly enough, the shingles rash is developing on my left foot along the L5 dermatome. Interesting, isn't it? I got great relief the first time with acupuncture.

Related Reading: Famciclovir

Comment from: Shingling, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I have frequently had the tingling sensations as I run a very stressful life and poor eating and sleeping habits. I had recurrent outbreaks of fever sores and blisters and when I had the sensations, I took Valtrex for few days which made everything go back to normal. I ran out of the Valtrex and recently I developed Shingles, which I am taking Famvir to treat it now combined with Prednisone to alleviate the postherpetic neuralgia. I virtually have had very little pain and after 72 hours the rashes subsided.

Related Reading: Prednisone

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 26

My husband has had post herpetic neuralgia for approximately 19 years. He was given the usual medication within 72 hours, but to no avail. There have never been blisters or rash but the attacks of pain are severe. He has tried Zostrix, but cannot stand the burning. About 10 years ago I asked him to describe the pain in detail, and he said it was like severe sunburn. The only thing I had was 'Sun-Shades 30plus' which is a sunscreen lotion made in Australia, so applied that. The relief was very quick. I apply it very firmly to painful site, better than light application which only exacerbates the pain. It gives relief but doesn't stop the attacks happening.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 63-year-old woman who had my first case of shingles about 5 years ago. I have had it in 2 places. The first place was on my rib cage. There was pain so severe I couldn't wear a bra and got in to the doctor fast enough that I was on a med before breaking out and prevented that. Still, the pain was severe enough for several weeks that I went without a bra, wearing t-shirts and roomy jumpers to work. I went through about 3 events like this, succeeding at no blisters each time.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?