Viewer Comments: Shingles - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Comment from: gj, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I get shingles on my left lower face. Same place always. It gets tender and then erupts. I always treated it with a mix of bag balm, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda mixed into a cream, heavy on baking soda. It took more than 10 days or more to heal. This time I started at first sign of tenderness. After 3 days it has gone away and never erupted. It's dry and a bit scaly and tenderness is gone with no sign of blisters or open wound. Hope I have found something that works.

Comment from: Zan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I started with a bad headache on the one side of the back of my head and it was very sensitive to touch. I would go to sleep with a headache and wake up with one; at one stage I didn't know if it was my tooth or my ear causing the headache, everything was so sensitive. I started with two red marks above my eyelid and I thought maybe a mosquito had bitten me. The next day my eye was swollen and each day it just got worse. By the fourth day since I saw the 2 red marks I had a red rash and blisters on my forehead, my eye and my scalp. I can't even touch it, it is so painful. I'm on my second day of antibiotics I hope it goes away soon. My eye is almost closed it is so swollen and I have to be careful when I want to rub the itchy blisters because they pop so easily when they are big. I have been told to take L-lysine tablets (together with the antibiotics) and to mix half a Disprin and a bit of fresh lemon juice into aqueous cream and smear it on the affected area. I am going to give it a try.

Comment from: Betty Boop, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am a 63 year old female, I got shingles in July of this year and I am still fighting it. It started on my scalp as a burning pain, then on my forehead; blisters started on my scalp down onto my forehead. The pain was unbearable and there is swelling between my skin and the skull cap. It has not gone away yet, I have been on two antibiotics and almost lost the vision in my right eye. An eye specialist put me on Lotemax gel eye drops and it shaved my vision. However the swelling and some pain remain on my head. Still on Lotemax and gabapentin for the eye and nerve damage. I still having fevers from time to time as well.

Comment from: Coco, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

It started with a low back pain on my left side after moving a piece of furniture. A few days later I got an itch in my genitals, rectum and top of buttock. All this is on my left side. A few days later I got red pimple type bumps. The worst ones were on the labia, the vaginal opening, and the top of the buttock. They were extremely painful. My rectum was also very painful. I couldn't see it but I think there must be a pimple there as well. My skin on my buttocks and hips is super sensitive and burns. Even touching my skin hurts. The only one that I can see to have blistered is the very top one. The doctor said it was infected and gave me antibiotics. He also gave me Valtrex for the anti-viral medication. I took all the antibiotics but only took the antiviral for three days because it made me feel foggy and lightheaded. The pain has subsided somewhat but my left buttock still feels like a giant toothache. Now I am very stiff and achy in my left side, back and hip. I am very tired and I wish I knew how long before I'm back to normal.

Comment from: Maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

My shingles started out with nausea, tiredness and headache. Then I had severe stabbing pain in my abdomen on the left side and around to my back, much worse at night. I went to the emergency room and they thought it was a kidney stone. They did the lab tests and a CT scan, said everything was normal except slightly elevated WBC count. Told me I might have passed a small stone and shooed me out the door with nothing, telling me to see a primary care doctor in 2 or 3 days. I made an appointment as soon as possible and by the time of my appointment, a small painless patch about an inch in diameter had appeared on my left side in the rib cage area. I didn't think to even mention it to the doctor; I thought it was a spider bite or something. He knew what to ask and diagnosed shingles, gave me a prescription for valacyclovir. It's now been 6 days and the rash has spread, the pain is pretty severe, worse at night. Tylenol does nothing for the pain, but naproxen sodium seems to help a little. Ice packs help too. I don't feel intense itching or tingling, it's more like a very bad burning pain. I can't imagine how painful it must be for the poor people who get this on their face, I feel sorry for you.

Comment from: floridagirl, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 28

My 85 year old mother got shingles. She is in her 4th week. It's the itching that was driving her crazy. She tried vitamin E oil and witch hazel, neither helped. I did a search for possible remedies and found aloe vera. Her patio is filled with those plants. We are into day two with the aloe and she has had no itching. Best night's sleep in three weeks. She carries a piece with her and whenever the itch begins, she rubs it on; best ever. Hope it helps someone else.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?