Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

...
Comment from: peachy60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had shingles virus for three weeks now. It started in my left eye. I went to my eye doctor because I thought I had something in my eye. He diagnosed me with shingles and prescribed 1 gram of an antiviral medication. I took the medication for eight days. I called my primary doctor and she also prescribed 10 more days of 500 mg of the same antiviral.

Comment from: Listerine/Shingles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

After a few weeks of feeling an unusually itchy scalp, and speaking to my hair stylist about product line being a possible cause, I began to experience sharp head pains affecting the top of my head, my left temple, left ear and left eye area. I spoke with my family doctor and nerve pain was lightly touched upon. Two days later, I spoke to my eye doctor regarding increasing pressure in my eye to rule out an impending eye disorder. 24 hours later, I was in the emergency room at the hospital with the first signs of scalp/facial rash and diagnosed with Shingles on the left side.

Comment from: Stanzi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I was diagnosed with my second case of shingles today. It showed up about two months ago on my inner thigh. It's weird because so many sites say they are gone in a month. I didn't go to the doctor because it wasn't that bad. Mine is dried up now, but not fully healed. This one on my thigh didn't really hurt, but it did itch a lot. I'm 39 now, and had my first case at 32.

Comment from: tams252, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had a severe case of chicken pox when I was young. When I was about 18 years old I got my first outbreak of shingles at the base of my spine and have been on Zovirax since then. In recent years doctors have changed me to taking one tablet a day, which seems to keep the outbreaks at bay, unless I get really stressed out. There are times it just feels like my back is going to break because the pain is so severe. The daily dosage has really been a life saver for me. I am just hoping my son doesn't wind up with shingles since he has a worse chicken pox infection than I did.

Comment from: kdj5535, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have Myasthenia Gravis and am currently immunosuppressed related to treatment with Cellcept and prednisone. I had various areas of pain followed by mild lesions on the left side of my body over a 6 week period. After these strange outbreaks subsided, I had 4 days of severe pain in my right breast and lungs, with the pain being visceral and involving right anterior lungs. On day 4, the pain was at its worst and two distinct patches of zoster lesions following the nerve root along the axillary line around toward the mid back. I was diagnosed by a primary care doctor and started on Valtrex that day. I took 1 gram tid for a week. The lesions continued to spread for 2 more days after treatment started. I had flu-like symptoms for a total of 2 weeks. Now, going into week 4, I can tolerate wearing a bra for part of the day, but have pain, itching and burning every day, although far less severe. What an unpleasant period. I'm sorry I did not take the vaccination!

Comment from: Dobbs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was in my 40s. I had no health insurance and it came on so fast, I was not sure what to do. I had a local doctor, an elderly gentleman, look at me. I had Shingles. He offered to prescribe for me to alleviate some of the awful pain. I ended up wearing very loose clothing. It took weeks. It was awful, but I got through it. I would say it is equivalent to having someone stick a hot iron on your skin. My whole left side was hit from above the breast area to my waist.

Comment from: chickadee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had severe pain on right side near breast area. I was treated as if it were muscle spasms. The pain became so bad that I asked to see doctor and he thought it was a pulled muscle. Two days later, I returned to doctor with pain so bad I could not lay on the exam table and was having difficulty walking. Finally, after two weeks and an MRI, mammogram, and x-rays, he decided I might have shingles on inside of my body. I'm on pain medications. I am 68. Is the worst pain I have ever had.

Comment from: Big Al, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a very deep stabbing pain in the lower left side of my body, (backside) above the waist. I thought it was from playing too much golf. After a week of constant pain that lasted for about eight hours, I saw my doctor. She listened to my verbal descriptions of my symptoms then asked me to lift my shirt and she inspected my back. She immediately said I had shingles. I asked her how she could make that quick assumption. She said for me to look at the lower left side of my back (which is hard to do without a mirror). She then pointed out some red blisters which I had not seen before. She prescribed Acyclovir which I took for seven days. It had No effect on my pain. She had warned me that the virus may have been active for at least three days before I took the meds and that it may be too late to be effective. After about four weeks the pain subsided, the sores really never got out of hand and I am pain and spot free now.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?