Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Had flu 3-4 weeks ago followed by bronchitis. End of last week started feeling ill again - headache, tiredness now ear ache and pain that is covering a greater part of the left side of my head. Just seen doctor - no ear infection but it could be a muscular headache but my neck isn't stiff. However, I had shingles in this ear in 1988 and I had symptoms of shingles pain in my back last summer but no eruption. She is cautious that this might be the start of it again as I'm feeling ill and tired. Last time I had it I remember my neck ached - a new symptom on her. Taking paracetomol and ibuprofen alternately. She has given me a prescription for anti-viral in case it erupts over next few days. I sympathize with the person who described the pain on scale of 1-10 as 12. I can truly say that shingles in the head is the worst pain I have ever experienced including childbirth. The virus destroys the nerve sheath and ever since 1988, I have been slightly deaf and suffered intense pain in the winter.

Comment from: Akhealth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Noted a slight numbness or coolness with soreness to touch of left thigh for a couple days and it was so minor that I thought nothing of it. However, in a couple days I noticed a red raised area on left buttock that I really couldn't see very well even with a mirror. Next day it had grown and I noted a hand size reddened area on left front near pubis so I went to the doctor thinking it was either a bug bite, impetigo, or just maybe shingles. Actually I felt silly going to the doctor for a bug bite but I am glad I did. Next time, if there is a next time, I'll go at the first symptoms; it was shingles so I am presently on Valtrex 1000mg q8h. So as of 2 days later I notice above areas, described, less in appearance but do now note a slight burning sensation on upper left back. Have a follow-up doctor visit next week.

Comment from: Perry, Male Published: October 06

I was recently diagnosed with Shingles. This is a condition caused in those who had chicken pox. The virus stays in your system forever and you have to live with the thought that because it is hidden in your nerve ending in the spinal column it can raise its nasty head when the immune system is comprised of because of age; 50+. I researched this painful condition and found that Lysine, a form of amino acid helps in the relief of pain. Lysine is found in fruits, meats fish etc. STAY AWAY from nuts, seeds, grain products, spinach, seaweed, watercress, chocolate, gelatin and sugar.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Last Friday afternoon I notice a slight rash appearing on my right chest, by that Night it had spread around to my back. By Morning I couldn't stand the intense burning and itch so headed for the Hospital, no pain yet. I was seen and after a very quick look she said it was classic shingles pattern and prescribed Famciclivir. Because of Spinal surgeries the pain meds had held off the pain until then but now it was extreme. I read online that acupuncture works so I had an appointment for Tuesday to see. After fifteen minutes the pain was gone. It's now Wednesday morning, pain is still minimal, it's not spreading and it's drying up. Thank God, but it has to be caught within the first Seventy two hours, or the Medication won't work. I feel for anyone who has this, I really wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Good Luck everyone.

Comment from: greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 64 year old male. I have had outbreaks for the last ten years on lower face. After the eruptions I started treating with a mix of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and bag balm mixed in to a heavy paste. Burns a bit but felt like it was killing it. Usually within 2 weeks it went away. Last week a bout was starting. Tenderness and swelling started. Before it erupted this time, I started the paste. Three days later it was mostly gone. Three days after that there is no sign of it. No swelling and no pain. Works for me and hope it will for others.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been sick with the flu and bronchitis for about a month and am in the process of moving my family from Wisconsin to South Carolina. Yesterday, I started getting intense itching on the left side of my torso with a strange burning, stinging feeling. The area from my spine, straight around my torso became red and very tender, but there were no blisters. Today I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with shingles. He put me on the antiviral medications for seven days and hydrocodone for pain. For most of the day I have been OK. However this evening I started getting sharp stabbing pains in the area. The DR warned me it would probably get worse before it gets better. Lord help me. I have a family to take care of! Momma doesn't have time for this!

Comment from: Dixie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had a severe stiff neck and pains in back of my head from ear to ear. Then rash broke out on my lower back. The rash is under control and disappearing, and the stiff neck is gone, but I'm still having terrible pains in the back of my head. It's going on three weeks now.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?