Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: msaylor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I experienced pain around and in my left eye that I thought was inflamed tear glands. One week later, it didn't get any better, so went to the doctor and was diagnosed with shingles, not noticing that the red rash was beginning to erupt. The pain spread to my scalp and cheek.

Comment from: songbird, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

My symptoms started with unrelenting, excruciating pain in my back, which I thought was muscle spasms. I visited the doctor and he gave me muscle relaxers and a shot. One week later, I had to go to the emergency room with again with severe pain. There they found the rash, and diagnosed shingles.

Comment from: Aimee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am 22 years old and about a month ago was diagnosed with shingles. That was the most unbearable pain ever. I had to take medicine for about three weeks. When I first noticed it, I thought it was just a normal back itch. As the days went by, the itching got worse and it started to really burn. Big blisters were only on the left side of my back. I waited until the fifth day of my symptoms to seek medical help. By that time, the whole left side of my body was in massive pain. The doctor looked at my back and asked if there was any itching, burning, or pain. The doctor told me that he was confused on I could have shingles because I'm so young. He also asked a series of questions, one being if I was under a lot of emotional stress. That day I learned that anyone who has ever had the chicken pox can get it also. I did not know at the time that stress could trigger the virus.

Comment from: TBear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I was diagnosed with shingles almost 10 years ago. I kept getting weird blisters mainly on the sides of my toes and nowhere else. When they popped, they itched real bad and very painful. I ended up at the doctor's office and they told me there is nothing I can do for it. The doctor asked me when did I have chicken pox and told him it was in November of '93. The last couple years, I've noticed I would get one or two blisters on my fingers besides on my feet and now I have one on my lip. I do get cold sores, but this one is totally different. Hopefully when I see my new doctor, he can give me something for this.

Comment from: martino, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I had what I thought was osteoarthritis on my right index finger for about two weeks. It got so bad I went to my doctor. Two days later I noticed a sore between my index finger and my middle finger. I decided to go to the emergency room of our local hospital. The nurse immediately diagnosed it as shingles.

Comment from: natalie, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 21

My daughter is seven and has just been diagnosed with shingles. She has had a headache for two days now.

Comment from: sonjacoggins, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

It started in the top part of my back, my breast area, and under my arm became very sore then tingling and burning. I knew from having shingles about a year ago on my face. That hurt nowhere as bad as this. I'm depressed and in major pain. I sat in a clinic for six hours. All the nurse gave me was some cream made from peppers and Advil. I am in so much pain and this could last up to 30 days. I WILL GO CRAZY.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a 39 year old female and have been living with outbreaks of shingles over the last 10 years as I have herpes zoster. I have always been told it is not contagious but I have at least two attacks every year, usually in the face with severe nerve pain and rash. This time it is on my back with rash over chest and arms and a lot of back pain. I keep medication on standby at home in case of an outbreak. I live in a small village and I believe I have found a connection that when chickenpox is going about I develop the shingles.

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I noticed 5 red spots on my mid arm and 3 red spots on my upper arm. It was not itchy and not watery. After a week I went to a doctor and she pricked one spot to get a sample for lab test. The spots were almost dry. She confirmed after 2 weeks that it was indeed shingles but not contagious. She gave me Zovirax ointment on my first visit but nothing on my second. She told me I could take pain relievers if the pain persists.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?