Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: Perry, Male Published: October 06

I was recently diagnosed with Shingles. This is a condition caused in those who had chicken pox. The virus stays in your system forever and you have to live with the thought that because it is hidden in your nerve ending in the spinal column it can raise its nasty head when the immune system is comprised of because of age; 50+. I researched this painful condition and found that Lysine, a form of amino acid helps in the relief of pain. Lysine is found in fruits, meats fish etc. STAY AWAY from nuts, seeds, grain products, spinach, seaweed, watercress, chocolate, gelatin and sugar.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Last Friday afternoon I notice a slight rash appearing on my right chest, by that Night it had spread around to my back. By Morning I couldn't stand the intense burning and itch so headed for the Hospital, no pain yet. I was seen and after a very quick look she said it was classic shingles pattern and prescribed Famciclivir. Because of Spinal surgeries the pain meds had held off the pain until then but now it was extreme. I read online that acupuncture works so I had an appointment for Tuesday to see. After fifteen minutes the pain was gone. It's now Wednesday morning, pain is still minimal, it's not spreading and it's drying up. Thank God, but it has to be caught within the first Seventy two hours, or the Medication won't work. I feel for anyone who has this, I really wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Good Luck everyone.

Comment from: greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 64 year old male. I have had outbreaks for the last ten years on lower face. After the eruptions I started treating with a mix of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and bag balm mixed in to a heavy paste. Burns a bit but felt like it was killing it. Usually within 2 weeks it went away. Last week a bout was starting. Tenderness and swelling started. Before it erupted this time, I started the paste. Three days later it was mostly gone. Three days after that there is no sign of it. No swelling and no pain. Works for me and hope it will for others.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been sick with the flu and bronchitis for about a month and am in the process of moving my family from Wisconsin to South Carolina. Yesterday, I started getting intense itching on the left side of my torso with a strange burning, stinging feeling. The area from my spine, straight around my torso became red and very tender, but there were no blisters. Today I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with shingles. He put me on the antiviral medications for seven days and hydrocodone for pain. For most of the day I have been OK. However this evening I started getting sharp stabbing pains in the area. The DR warned me it would probably get worse before it gets better. Lord help me. I have a family to take care of! Momma doesn't have time for this!

Comment from: Dixie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had a severe stiff neck and pains in back of my head from ear to ear. Then rash broke out on my lower back. The rash is under control and disappearing, and the stiff neck is gone, but I'm still having terrible pains in the back of my head. It's going on three weeks now.

Comment from: suzieQ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I received the shingles vaccine at age 60. I am 66 now. 10 days ago I felt an itching/burning across the base of my belly and into my groin. I could see nothing when I examined the area. After a few days, I noticed a light rash staring a few inches from my left hip and traveling into my groin. The rash developed into blisters. I went to urgent care for an official diagnosis, even though I was 99% sure it was shingles. The pain was bearable and in truth did not exceed a 5 on a 1-10 scale. I use cortisone cream on area which helps somewhat.

Comment from: amendez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was recently diagnosed with shingles. My brother had shingles young as well. It started with burning pain on my back one morning when I woke and then I started getting a rash that spread all over. I am going into my fifth day of having shingles and I am having excruciating pain in my left ear.

Comment from: nance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I started out with itching on the left side of my neck along with a burning. I saw two brown dots that I thought they were bug bites. My chest stated itching like mad and I had red welts that were burning and itching. The worst was a dull ache. I waited more than a week to see my doctor. He told me that I had shingles and gave me prednisone. It's drying up, but it's still itching. I would not wish this on anyone. The itching drives me crazy.

Comment from: Cookie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I woke up late one night with a sharp pain on my left hamstring. I found an area of little bumps the size of my palm which i believed it was mosquito bites. The pain increased and continued the following day. It was painful to the touch. I thought of shingles. I went to our school nurse. She said that it couldn't be shingles because they usually form in a band. I needed a second opinion, so I went to the doctor that afternoon. My diagnosis was right. I had. He was surprised that shingles was in a cluster. He gave me meds right away. On the third day of taking meds, the blisters started to scab. A week later, all i see is a cluster of scars.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox (varicella) is a highly learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were your shingles symptoms and signs?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?