Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 64 year old male. I have had outbreaks for the last ten years on lower face. After the eruptions I started treating with a mix of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and bag balm mixed in to a heavy paste. Burns a bit but felt like it was killing it. Usually within 2 weeks it went away. Last week a bout was starting. Tenderness and swelling started. Before it erupted this time, I started the paste. Three days later it was mostly gone. Three days after that there is no sign of it. No swelling and no pain. Works for me and hope it will for others.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been sick with the flu and bronchitis for about a month and am in the process of moving my family from Wisconsin to South Carolina. Yesterday, I started getting intense itching on the left side of my torso with a strange burning, stinging feeling. The area from my spine, straight around my torso became red and very tender, but there were no blisters. Today I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with shingles. He put me on the antiviral medications for seven days and hydrocodone for pain. For most of the day I have been OK. However this evening I started getting sharp stabbing pains in the area. The DR warned me it would probably get worse before it gets better. Lord help me. I have a family to take care of! Momma doesn't have time for this!

Comment from: Dixie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had a severe stiff neck and pains in back of my head from ear to ear. Then rash broke out on my lower back. The rash is under control and disappearing, and the stiff neck is gone, but I'm still having terrible pains in the back of my head. It's going on three weeks now.

Comment from: suzieQ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I received the shingles vaccine at age 60. I am 66 now. 10 days ago I felt an itching/burning across the base of my belly and into my groin. I could see nothing when I examined the area. After a few days, I noticed a light rash staring a few inches from my left hip and traveling into my groin. The rash developed into blisters. I went to urgent care for an official diagnosis, even though I was 99% sure it was shingles. The pain was bearable and in truth did not exceed a 5 on a 1-10 scale. I use cortisone cream on area which helps somewhat.

Comment from: amendez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was recently diagnosed with shingles. My brother had shingles young as well. It started with burning pain on my back one morning when I woke and then I started getting a rash that spread all over. I am going into my fifth day of having shingles and I am having excruciating pain in my left ear.

Comment from: nance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I started out with itching on the left side of my neck along with a burning. I saw two brown dots that I thought they were bug bites. My chest stated itching like mad and I had red welts that were burning and itching. The worst was a dull ache. I waited more than a week to see my doctor. He told me that I had shingles and gave me prednisone. It's drying up, but it's still itching. I would not wish this on anyone. The itching drives me crazy.

Comment from: Cookie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I woke up late one night with a sharp pain on my left hamstring. I found an area of little bumps the size of my palm which i believed it was mosquito bites. The pain increased and continued the following day. It was painful to the touch. I thought of shingles. I went to our school nurse. She said that it couldn't be shingles because they usually form in a band. I needed a second opinion, so I went to the doctor that afternoon. My diagnosis was right. I had. He was surprised that shingles was in a cluster. He gave me meds right away. On the third day of taking meds, the blisters started to scab. A week later, all i see is a cluster of scars.

Comment from: peachy60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had shingles virus for three weeks now. It started in my left eye. I went to my eye doctor because I thought I had something in my eye. He diagnosed me with shingles and prescribed 1 gram of an antiviral medication. I took the medication for eight days. I called my primary doctor and she also prescribed 10 more days of 500 mg of the same antiviral.

Comment from: Listerine/Shingles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

After a few weeks of feeling an unusually itchy scalp, and speaking to my hair stylist about product line being a possible cause, I began to experience sharp head pains affecting the top of my head, my left temple, left ear and left eye area. I spoke with my family doctor and nerve pain was lightly touched upon. Two days later, I spoke to my eye doctor regarding increasing pressure in my eye to rule out an impending eye disorder. 24 hours later, I was in the emergency room at the hospital with the first signs of scalp/facial rash and diagnosed with Shingles on the left side.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?