Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: JVL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a spot to show up on my lower leg when I was 4 years old. The pediatrician told my mother it was shingles, which came from chickenpox. I have been having breakouts from 18 years old until present. Stress brings it on. If I get upset or worried about anything!

Comment from: JulieP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Has anyone tried ice packs? I had a terrible burning pain in my right low back that also ran down my leg. Thinking it was sciatica I started using ice packs on the spot that hurt. (I also had upset stomach and headache.) A few days later a painful rash of blisters appeared on my right foot between my toes. I didn't realize it was shingles until a similar but much smaller line of blisters appeared on the aching spot on my low back too. Ice seemed to help ease the pain of the blisters on my low back, so out of desperation I started ice on my toes as well (which were much worse) and it helped relieve the pain right away. I have been putting ice packs on both places twice a day for a week now and the rashes have stayed small and the pain is gone for hours, even lasting all night if I do the ice before bed.

Comment from: JC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I have been diagnosed with shingles on the trigemminal nerve near my ear. The pain is 12 on a 0-10 scale.

Comment from: CMS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

For a week I suffered with stabbing pain in my right hip, thigh, down the leg and into the arch of my foot. I thought it was back pain and wore a kidney belt for three days. On the four day a spot appeared -- not itchy, just red. The next day it spread in several places on the shin. The next day, I was able to see my primary physician and he diagnosed shingles right away. I am only 4 hours into the antiviral medication plus Tylenol 3 and it is working for the pain. Hopefully the rest will dry up soon.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 60 years old and have shingles right now. This is the 5th time I have had them in less than one year. I get a huge painful rash on my buttocks and lower back. I also get what feels like flu symptoms. My doctor prescribes valacyclovir for me. He wants me shingle-free for at least 4-6 months before giving me the shingles vaccination. I feel sorry for anyone that gets shingles!

Comment from: riverlynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Initially I concluded that I had shingles based on the location of the rash and the way it broke out. My first lesion was just above my left eyebrow. I thought the spot might have been a severe blemish but the next day I had another lesion near it. Sine pain and itching had started in that area also. Within 48 hours a doctor examined me and although the shingles diagnosis was not firm that day he put me on antivirals. Even with treatment the condition worsened and I sought care again two days later. At that time the rash, pain, and itching were confirmed by the doctor as shingles.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had a very sensitive sensation on my upper arm and back with stabbing pain but no rash or blisters. I went to my GP who suggested it may be from my neck. I asked if it could be shingles as I had witnessed my mother suffer terribly from this. He said unlikely but as I was travelling, gave me a prescription for if the rash broke out. It did but only a week later. The medication was not very effective and the pain terrible. It is three weeks later and I still have pain but the rash is gone. I am treating the area with tea tree and lavender and taking L-lysine twice a day.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed with shingles almost 27 years ago after my oldest son was born. I have had it off and on since then and due to the almost monthly breakouts it was suggested that I go to see an acupuncturist. It was just in the last 2 years that I discovered that by taking calcium, and a high dose of folic acid B12 that I am almost completely shingle free. I suffered with intense pain in my lower back, hip and leg down to my foot until I could hardly stand to walk. Due to my very low levels of b12 I am convinced that this did the trick. It's been almost 7months now with a single symptom. Aspercream also works to help with pain.

Comment from: Choppy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I went to the clinic I attend and could not see a doctor; the nurse on duty saw the rash, saw my swollen eye and was explained the extreme pain from my face, head and in my eye. She diagnosed me with a sinus infection. The pain and rash became so severe that I went to the emergency room. One look and the doctor told me I have shingles; I was two hours away from not being able to take the medicine to help. I have been on anti-viral meds for two days now and have not seen a marked improvement, only more rash. At this point I am really hoping the medicine helps me soon.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?