Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: Dobbs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was in my 40s. I had no health insurance and it came on so fast, I was not sure what to do. I had a local doctor, an elderly gentleman, look at me. I had Shingles. He offered to prescribe for me to alleviate some of the awful pain. I ended up wearing very loose clothing. It took weeks. It was awful, but I got through it. I would say it is equivalent to having someone stick a hot iron on your skin. My whole left side was hit from above the breast area to my waist.

Comment from: chickadee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had severe pain on right side near breast area. I was treated as if it were muscle spasms. The pain became so bad that I asked to see doctor and he thought it was a pulled muscle. Two days later, I returned to doctor with pain so bad I could not lay on the exam table and was having difficulty walking. Finally, after two weeks and an MRI, mammogram, and x-rays, he decided I might have shingles on inside of my body. I'm on pain medications. I am 68. Is the worst pain I have ever had.

Comment from: Big Al, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a very deep stabbing pain in the lower left side of my body, (backside) above the waist. I thought it was from playing too much golf. After a week of constant pain that lasted for about eight hours, I saw my doctor. She listened to my verbal descriptions of my symptoms then asked me to lift my shirt and she inspected my back. She immediately said I had shingles. I asked her how she could make that quick assumption. She said for me to look at the lower left side of my back (which is hard to do without a mirror). She then pointed out some red blisters which I had not seen before. She prescribed Acyclovir which I took for seven days. It had No effect on my pain. She had warned me that the virus may have been active for at least three days before I took the meds and that it may be too late to be effective. After about four weeks the pain subsided, the sores really never got out of hand and I am pain and spot free now.

Comment from: msaylor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I experienced pain around and in my left eye that I thought was inflamed tear glands. One week later, it didn't get any better, so went to the doctor and was diagnosed with shingles, not noticing that the red rash was beginning to erupt. The pain spread to my scalp and cheek.

Comment from: songbird, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

My symptoms started with unrelenting, excruciating pain in my back, which I thought was muscle spasms. I visited the doctor and he gave me muscle relaxers and a shot. One week later, I had to go to the emergency room with again with severe pain. There they found the rash, and diagnosed shingles.

Comment from: Aimee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am 22 years old and about a month ago was diagnosed with shingles. That was the most unbearable pain ever. I had to take medicine for about three weeks. When I first noticed it, I thought it was just a normal back itch. As the days went by, the itching got worse and it started to really burn. Big blisters were only on the left side of my back. I waited until the fifth day of my symptoms to seek medical help. By that time, the whole left side of my body was in massive pain. The doctor looked at my back and asked if there was any itching, burning, or pain. The doctor told me that he was confused on I could have shingles because I'm so young. He also asked a series of questions, one being if I was under a lot of emotional stress. That day I learned that anyone who has ever had the chicken pox can get it also. I did not know at the time that stress could trigger the virus.

Comment from: TBear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I was diagnosed with shingles almost 10 years ago. I kept getting weird blisters mainly on the sides of my toes and nowhere else. When they popped, they itched real bad and very painful. I ended up at the doctor's office and they told me there is nothing I can do for it. The doctor asked me when did I have chicken pox and told him it was in November of '93. The last couple years, I've noticed I would get one or two blisters on my fingers besides on my feet and now I have one on my lip. I do get cold sores, but this one is totally different. Hopefully when I see my new doctor, he can give me something for this.

Comment from: martino, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I had what I thought was osteoarthritis on my right index finger for about two weeks. It got so bad I went to my doctor. Two days later I noticed a sore between my index finger and my middle finger. I decided to go to the emergency room of our local hospital. The nurse immediately diagnosed it as shingles.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?