Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: tashilama, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I felt mild burning around chest/back area. Then the classic shingles symptoms (red rash, etc.) developed. I was given the anti-viral and pain medications which really did not help. I developed post-shingles stuff. The ONLY thing that helped was acupuncture and lidocaine patches. Ten months later, I still have itching and pain. I later got the vaccine. I recently developed very mild shingles on the other side. I have fever and fatigue, but mild (relatively) pain on new area. However, it retriggered the old side.

Comment from: Carole, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

The shingles were not diagnosed until I actually suggested to my GP after the rash became very uncomfortable. Until then I was tested for a kidney infection then kidney stone. As I also suffer from psoriasis I dismissed the initial rash as this not knowing the pain I was suffering was possible with shingles.

Comment from: DiAudGirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had stabbing pain for 3 days under my right rib cage. On the 3rd night, I had flu-like symptoms, and when I woke up I develop a rash on my right back. Went to the doctor that day and they diagnosed it was shingles. I got prescription and took the tablets right away. I'm just on my first 8 hrs of treatment. The stabbing pain is still there.

Comment from: albuquerky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

My case was diagnosed by my primary physician on the basis of symptoms and blisters. He thought the outbreak was severe and referred me to an anesthesiologist at the hospital. I went to the day surgery unit and had a nerve root injection with lidocaine at the base of the nerve they thought was affected. We could watch the blisters dry up almost immediately. The pain was also relieved. I had some discomfort around the area and granular drying for several days but it wasn't too bad.

Comment from: pld, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I saw my doctor when I had those lightning-like reactions after my breast cancer surgery -- mastectomy with reconstruction in 2000. I had similar pain after a colostomy that same year. My shingles definitely recurs. Valtrex helps with symptoms, and rarely now do I get the full-blown blisters. My grandmother told me she had it in her groin area during her 80s; my sister had a bad attack of it before age 60; I was 49 when I got mine.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?