Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: natalie, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 21

My daughter is seven and has just been diagnosed with shingles. She has had a headache for two days now.

Comment from: sonjacoggins, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

It started in the top part of my back, my breast area, and under my arm became very sore then tingling and burning. I knew from having shingles about a year ago on my face. That hurt nowhere as bad as this. I'm depressed and in major pain. I sat in a clinic for six hours. All the nurse gave me was some cream made from peppers and Advil. I am in so much pain and this could last up to 30 days. I WILL GO CRAZY.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a 39 year old female and have been living with outbreaks of shingles over the last 10 years as I have herpes zoster. I have always been told it is not contagious but I have at least two attacks every year, usually in the face with severe nerve pain and rash. This time it is on my back with rash over chest and arms and a lot of back pain. I keep medication on standby at home in case of an outbreak. I live in a small village and I believe I have found a connection that when chickenpox is going about I develop the shingles.

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I noticed 5 red spots on my mid arm and 3 red spots on my upper arm. It was not itchy and not watery. After a week I went to a doctor and she pricked one spot to get a sample for lab test. The spots were almost dry. She confirmed after 2 weeks that it was indeed shingles but not contagious. She gave me Zovirax ointment on my first visit but nothing on my second. She told me I could take pain relievers if the pain persists.

Comment from: JVL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a spot to show up on my lower leg when I was 4 years old. The pediatrician told my mother it was shingles, which came from chickenpox. I have been having breakouts from 18 years old until present. Stress brings it on. If I get upset or worried about anything!

Comment from: JulieP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Has anyone tried ice packs? I had a terrible burning pain in my right low back that also ran down my leg. Thinking it was sciatica I started using ice packs on the spot that hurt. (I also had upset stomach and headache.) A few days later a painful rash of blisters appeared on my right foot between my toes. I didn't realize it was shingles until a similar but much smaller line of blisters appeared on the aching spot on my low back too. Ice seemed to help ease the pain of the blisters on my low back, so out of desperation I started ice on my toes as well (which were much worse) and it helped relieve the pain right away. I have been putting ice packs on both places twice a day for a week now and the rashes have stayed small and the pain is gone for hours, even lasting all night if I do the ice before bed.

Comment from: JC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I have been diagnosed with shingles on the trigemminal nerve near my ear. The pain is 12 on a 0-10 scale.

Comment from: CMS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

For a week I suffered with stabbing pain in my right hip, thigh, down the leg and into the arch of my foot. I thought it was back pain and wore a kidney belt for three days. On the four day a spot appeared -- not itchy, just red. The next day it spread in several places on the shin. The next day, I was able to see my primary physician and he diagnosed shingles right away. I am only 4 hours into the antiviral medication plus Tylenol 3 and it is working for the pain. Hopefully the rest will dry up soon.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 60 years old and have shingles right now. This is the 5th time I have had them in less than one year. I get a huge painful rash on my buttocks and lower back. I also get what feels like flu symptoms. My doctor prescribes valacyclovir for me. He wants me shingle-free for at least 4-6 months before giving me the shingles vaccination. I feel sorry for anyone that gets shingles!

Comment from: riverlynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Initially I concluded that I had shingles based on the location of the rash and the way it broke out. My first lesion was just above my left eyebrow. I thought the spot might have been a severe blemish but the next day I had another lesion near it. Sine pain and itching had started in that area also. Within 48 hours a doctor examined me and although the shingles diagnosis was not firm that day he put me on antivirals. Even with treatment the condition worsened and I sought care again two days later. At that time the rash, pain, and itching were confirmed by the doctor as shingles.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?