Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: JVL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a spot to show up on my lower leg when I was 4 years old. The pediatrician told my mother it was shingles, which came from chickenpox. I have been having breakouts from 18 years old until present. Stress brings it on. If I get upset or worried about anything!

Comment from: JulieP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Has anyone tried ice packs? I had a terrible burning pain in my right low back that also ran down my leg. Thinking it was sciatica I started using ice packs on the spot that hurt. (I also had upset stomach and headache.) A few days later a painful rash of blisters appeared on my right foot between my toes. I didn't realize it was shingles until a similar but much smaller line of blisters appeared on the aching spot on my low back too. Ice seemed to help ease the pain of the blisters on my low back, so out of desperation I started ice on my toes as well (which were much worse) and it helped relieve the pain right away. I have been putting ice packs on both places twice a day for a week now and the rashes have stayed small and the pain is gone for hours, even lasting all night if I do the ice before bed.

Comment from: JC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I have been diagnosed with shingles on the trigemminal nerve near my ear. The pain is 12 on a 0-10 scale.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox (varicella) is a highly learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were your shingles symptoms and signs?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?