Viewer Comments: Shingles - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Diagnosis

How was your case of shingles diagnosed?

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had a very sensitive sensation on my upper arm and back with stabbing pain but no rash or blisters. I went to my GP who suggested it may be from my neck. I asked if it could be shingles as I had witnessed my mother suffer terribly from this. He said unlikely but as I was travelling, gave me a prescription for if the rash broke out. It did but only a week later. The medication was not very effective and the pain terrible. It is three weeks later and I still have pain but the rash is gone. I am treating the area with tea tree and lavender and taking L-lysine twice a day.

Must Read Articles Related to Shingles

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy A skin biopsy is a test in which a doctor learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shingles:

Shingles - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your shingles?

Shingles - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your shingles?