Viewer Comments: Shoulder Dislocation - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shoulder Dislocation:

Shoulder Dislocation - Patient Experience

How did you dislocate your shoulder and how was it treated? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Brittany, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I fell down stairs and dislocated my left shoulder. I went to the emergency room and they gave me something to help with the pain and then a guy came in and pulled my shoulder down with some kind of rope or something like that and helped get it back in place. I took x-rays first then after he did that I got x-rays again to see a difference. That was in 2014 that had happened. I dislocated it on 4th of July of 2015 and it took me 2 hours at least to get it back in place. Then I dislocated it again on New Year's Eve of 2016 this year. It was just simple things like putting on my shirt and picking something up that triggered it. Then today Mother's Day it dislocated again by my just taking a nap and having my arm around my girlfriend holding her. Just something that simple made it dislocate. The pain is awful. It's the worst pain I've ever dealt with. Having a baby was nothing. Hurting my back is nothing.

Comment from: critter52, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I fell getting out of our truck onto black ice. I landed very hard on my right side. My dislocated shoulder was placed back in at the emergency room and placed in a sling for a week. It is still very sore, aches and I do not have full range of motion yet.

Comment from: Jonathan W., Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I slept on my arm wrong somehow and when my brother came to wake me I sat up too quickly and my shoulder just popped out and this has not happened for two years until yesterday and this happens when I sleep and it is unbearable to live with.

Must Read Articles Related to Shoulder Dislocation

Shoulder Separation
Shoulder Separation A shoulder separation occurs after a fall or a sharp blow to the top of the shoulder. Symptoms and signs include pain, swelling, and an obvious upward pointing ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shoulder Dislocation:

Shoulder Dislocation - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder dislocation?