Sinus Headache Quick Overview
- A sinus headache results from inflammation and pressure within the sinus cavities of the skull.
- Inflammation of the lining tissues of the sinuses due to infections, allergies, or other irritants causes fluid secretion that can block drainage from the sinuses, causing the
sinus pressure within to increase.
sinus infections are due to virals.
- The main symptoms of a sinus headache are pain and tenderness over the
- Other symptoms include
- Pain from sudden movements of the head when bending forward
- Nasal discharge or runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Post-nasal drip
- Yellow or green discharge from the nose
- Pain in the upper teeth
- Body aches
- The pain from a sinus headache sometimes is worse in the
morning due to mucous collection throughout the night.
- In some people, the main symptoms of sinus headache may resemble those of
- Maintaining good hydration and breathing humidified air are two self-care steps to relieve sinus headache.
- Home remedies to soothe sinus headache symptoms include staying hydrated; using a humidifier to keep the room air moist; and OTC medications.
- Decongestant medications may be useful to help promote drainage of the sinuses.
- Most people recover fully from sinus headaches without long-term complications.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/16/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Headache
The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Most likely you or someone you know has allergies. The telltale itchy, puffy, watery eyes and red, stuffy nose signal changes in the seasons in homes and workpl...learn more >>
Sinus infection (sinusitis), is an inflammation of the sinuses and nasal passages. Causes of sinus infections are a result of a viral learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Headache: