Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?

Comment from: apple, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had a sore throat for two days, and I still went to work. On the second day when I had the sore throat I started sneezing and coughing and then on the four day I went to work feeling fine, but I was coughing and sneezing and my left ear was hurting.

Published: December 14

When I had a sinus infection, I had extreme jaw and mouth pain, and pain in cheek and head.

Comment from: Headachet, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 22

It started with my left ear feeling plugged. Then the next day I was a little congested then a severe headache. It hit me out of nowhere and was extremely painful. Tylenol did nothing for me. It was pain behind my eyes above my ears and this occured everytime i would move my head. I have sweats and chills, achy muscles and no energy. Noise and bright light seems to make it worse. My jaw, teeth and neck ache as well. The pain makes me feel nauseated.

Comment from: MrM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I endured lots of sneezing, pressure and pain on my face and on my upper teeth, with severe nasal congestion getting much worse at night. I also had a runny nose, eventually turning to a thick, greenish/yellow discharge. I had a metallic taste in my mouth bad breath and I was almost unable to distinguish smells.

I experience chest congestion right away along with frontal headaches, pain around my eyes which is more painful with my glasses on. I also get a lot of mucus built up and post nasal drip. I also tend to lose my voice.

Comment from: PinkPony, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I always get a sinus infection following a cold. I have painful upper teeth and pain opening jaw. I have a frontal headache with postnasal drip and sometimes blurry vision.

Comment from: this too shall pass, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

In 2005, I had the first of three sinus surgeries for chronic sinusitis. I have been on so many antibiotics that help the condition, only to repeat the illness every three or four months. I have post nasal drip, aches around my eyes and upper cheeks and very thick discharge. What troubles me is the nose bleeds which cause soreness and the chest congestion. I am constantly feeling warm; yet when my temperature is taken it is normal or a minimum above normal. These constant episodes have left me frustrated, exhausted, and depressed. Since I am a caregiver for my husband and have all of the responsibilities without his help, I am constantly attempting to play catch-up and failing. I, also, miss doing activities that would bring me joy, gardening, painting, sewing, and volunteering.

Comment from: Jennifer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been suffering from sinusitis for 5 months and whenever I suffer from a cold, my condition becomes worse and my forehead and face will be very tender to touch. I even get lots of mucous in my nasal cavities, from high headache and mild fever. My doctor has suggested surgery.

Comment from: Gerjac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have a sinus infection and I have an itchy nose and a headache behind my itchy, red eyes. The light hurts my eyes. This is very painful.

Comment from: sandaclaus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I started feeling pain and pressure in my jaw and ear so I thought it was from clenching my teeth, or something, while I slept. Now the pain has intensified tenfold to the point of the whole right side of my face (jaw, ear, cheekbone and temple) now are extremely painful and nothing seems to help with the pain - I've also had a persistent sore throat and cough that keeps me awake at night. I am 45yrs old and a smoker of less than a pack a day. Also, my throat and uvula have been red and swollen for about a year now.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In Feb 2009 I contracted my first ever sinus infection. After 2 months of antibiotics it still didn't clear up so I was referred to an ENT and in March 2010 had surgery. Still today, March 2011, I am very sick and in a great deal of pain. Countless amounts of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications and pain killers have not seemed to help. Now my ENT wants to do a second surgery. I am doubtful this will help. Also my ENT told me not to use netti pot when infection is present. I just don't know what to do. Although I am constantly blocked up I have only been able to blow my nose a handful of times in 2 years, I can barely smell or taste anything and my voice has changed. My quality of life is not good. I don't socialize, can't work much and feel sorry for my husband as he has to put up with me being snotty and grumpy all the time! I really need help.

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?