Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?

Comment from: In Pain, 35-44 Female Published: February 28

I am so happy that I found this site as it has helped me better understand my condition. This is the 2nd sinus cold I have had in the past few months & this one has been the worst pain that I have ever experienced. I have been sick for 5 days and took Tylenol Sinus for 2 days but it no longer helps. My nose could not stop running for 3 days, now I feel a deadly pressure in my head, cheeks & throat. I thought it was from a toothache. Thanks for the info. I will go see the doctor first thing in the morning.

Comment from: Realistic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My sinusitis affects the sphenoid area, with pain on the sides of my head above my ears. It is worse when I lie on my side, better on my tummy, as my sinuses drain better that way. Taking a sinus medication(OTC)and using saltwater nasal sprays, hot compresses, and steam can sometimes clear it up if I catch it early on, however, many times I need antibiotics. Recently I had vertigo for days even with the antibiotics, but that clears with a mild decongestant enough to work.

Comment from: Fififish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have a neti pot and love it. But I also have a small fountain that I run every night in my bedroom. It helps a lot and is a cuter alternative to constant use of a humidifier. But I really wish I would have thought about Vicks Vapo-Rub over a steamy sink! My symptoms: extreme fatigue and nausea, sinus congestion and VERY LITTLE pain. Plus it activated my asthma so: shortness of breath and tingly fingers.

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: February 16

For my sinus infection, I had loss of hearing, swelling under the eyes and nasal congestion.

Comment from: mcooperbyers@aol.com, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

is sinusitis caused by a virus?

Comment from: maree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have has a sinus infection for two months now. I have pain and pressure behind my nose and eye. My nose is blocked on the left side and my throat is very sore. When I lie down at night, I have a drip going down the back of my throat, which tastes very sweet. I have also had so many antibiotics and they don't seem to cure this infection. I am now going to see an ENT specialist.

Comment from: kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have a sinus infection and I have a sore throat, headaches all around, neck and shoulder pain, nasal congestion, chest congestion, fever, sore eyes, irritated nasal passages, and a desire to sleep.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Every time I get a sinus infection I always smell a bad odor coming from my nose. I get sinus infections all the time. My allergies are the problem, the yeast one. It's been real hard working when I am so sick all the time.

Comment from: La La, 25-34 Female Published: June 20

I've had a stuffy nose since April. Did not know what it was. Went to the doctor, used antihistamine, nasal spray, sinus and cold pills. nothing worked to this day, but I'm going to try the steam and see if it helps. Sometimes I wonder if it is sinus at all! I experience no pain, just stuffiness all day and night! No mucous discharge.

Comment from: angeleyes5560, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I'm having bad stuffiness can't breathe good through nose and can't lay down when I use my oxygen it makes it harder to breath if I breath through my mouth it gets all dry etc. I feel miserable I'm using flonase and saline spray trying to flush it out my ears hurt I have no energy at all feel awful.

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?