Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?

Comment from: Margo, 55-64 Female Published: February 20

My sinus infection started with two severe dizzy spells which turned into a headache and slight nauseous feeling. Never having had a migraine I thought this could be my first. The next day I woke up with my eyes swollen and inflamed. Still with the headache symptoms. The third and fourth days I had severe pain in my throat, neck, forehead and eyes. My eyelids and just below the eyes were shockingly bright reddish pink and leaked for 48 hours straight along with my nose. I also began coughing that third day and developed a fever. I drank water continuously and took some Sovereign Silver, from the health food store, several times a day. On the fifth day I was feeling better however I was coughing up phlegm and began to worry that what ever I had was moving into my lungs. On that day I went to the doctors and ( I would have gone earlier but my two worst days was a Saturday and Sunday.) Upon examination, including a blood test for an increased white blood count and a throat swab and still with a fever everything was ruled out except the sinus infection. I am now taking 10 days of the antibotic, Amoxicillin. In all of the areas in my head that I mentioned; throat, eyes, head, neck, and forehead, the pain was absolutely acute. I wish to add that I was not sick prior to this attack, and I do feel it was an attack, however the day before I had been on a 6 hour plane flight.

Related Reading: Amoxicillin

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

In October I had pleurisy and atelectasis which was treated with Naproxen, Tylenol and Aleve after the Naproxen. A scan was done for clots but not on the sinuses. The lungs cleared and the sinus pain began. I have completed 4 courses of antibiotics all different with no success. Recently I have blood coming from my nose. When I rinse the sinuses with salt water the blood pours into the sink from my nose. I have pressure on my face, headache, and pressure on my right eye and I am tired. I have noticed some fuzzy thinking and some fuzzy thinking and when the headache is bad some forgetfulness. I have gone to the doctor o going at least once a week plus to emergency once. The doctor in emergency said they would refer to a specialist who would see me quickly. It is two weeks and when I called they said they had a lot of paper work and when they see mine they would call with an appointment. When they do a scan for a clot in the lungs do they scan the sinuses and the brain or do they just scan the lungs. I am unhappy with the med system and I feel scared.

Related Reading: Naproxen

Comment from: Ann Barry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I experienced sudden, very severe pain above my left eye whilst coming in to land on a plane recently. It was so bad; the air crew asked if there was a doctor on board. They gave me various tests (which I later realized were for the possibility of a minor stroke), but concluded, happily for me, that it was a sinus infection after a cold I had had the previous three days. The pressure in the cabin was changed by the pilot re-ascending and then landing more slowly, and the pain virtually disappeared. However, the pain was extreme and unexpected.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I am pregnant and about 2 months ago I had a really bad cold the medicine I could take wouldn't help, it turned into my 1st sinus infection. I was very congested, had sinus pain and pressure and my top left teeth hurt badly Tylenol would not help. My doc put me on antibiotics and within 24 hours I was feeling better. Then 2 weeks ago my congestion got worse the pressure and headaches were back my throat hurt I was hot all the time. I am now on my 2nd round of antibiotics so let's hope it works this time.

Comment from: champagnedimeime, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

Someone please help me. My sinus infection is killing my eyes. I have had head aches for 5 days. I hear my sinus pop when I take medicines like alka selzers, and tylenol cold---but i want something for good. Bedsides, the doctor wont see me for 2 weeks. Should I go to the emergency room?

Comment from: artificialThespian, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My nostrils are both slightly blocked, and my throat is a little sore and it hurts to swallow. My tonsils are swollen a bit, too.

Comment from: martini, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have blocked sinuses with facial pain on the right. I can't smell anything. I have a very blocked left ear, which buzzes and is sometimes painful.

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?