Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: Jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

After six months of severe breathing problems, I think it may have been as simple as sinus congestion. After only two days of saline wash and Afrin, I feel like I can breathe again. Could it be this simple?

Comment from: Mel13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I've had sinus infections almost every year since I was a teenager. The one thing that has helped me most is to recognize the signs that a sinus infection is turning bacterial. It helps that my current primary care doctor has recognized the link between my sinus problems and hay fever and takes the attitude that I should not be suffering from either. Find a good primary care doctor, and work with him or her.

Comment from: Quacker , 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 15

Clarithromycin works for me.

Comment from: Mamabear09, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Started working in the main post office two months ago, and within two weeks got eye infections. I went to eye dr. He said it was caused by allergy possibly to the environment. The infections cleared up and I went back to work got infections again. The doctor gave me eye drops to put in eyes daily. Last week started sneezing, coughing, with a sore throat and teeth pain. I went to the doctor and I now have a sinus infection and an ear infection. I think it's working in a very dusty environment. I have no known allergies but obviously there is something there that is causing these infections. I'm on antibiotics now but afraid when I go back to work this will be an ongoing battle.

Comment from: john, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I suffer from headaches behind the eye and one side of my head. Sudafed helps

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am being treated for a sinus infection, 2000mg of amoxicillin for 10 days and fluticasone propionate nasal spray. I hope it clears it up. I have never used a netipot or anything similar. I have considered it but have not yet mentally got past the gross factor. My nostrils have been so sore and raw feeling. I have been using the saline spray but that wasn't enough so lately I have been applying olive oil on a Q-tip to the inside of each nostril.

Comment from: BB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I have suffered from sinusitis for years. I currently have one now. I have been on amoxicillin and Z-Pac and Allegra D for two weeks. Nothing has worked and I am miserable with headaches, sore throat, cold sensitive teeth.

Comment from: kumar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I am a patient with sinusitis. I consulted many doctors and tried many nasal sprays and medicines, and all preventive measures, but nothing helped me. There are two things which helped me. First nasal irrigation with lukewarm saline water, and second: drops of vegetable oil (fat) in the nose. I am quite relieved now, but nasal irrigation has to be done daily. It cleans out the hard mucus and opens nasal passages where as vegetable fat helps to retain moisture in my nasal passages.

Comment from: Desperate, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have all of the symptoms of sinusitis, but also have a feeling of fullness in my ear. I have had three rounds of antibiotics. Nothing has seemed to alleviate the headaches, tooth pain, or ear ache.

Comment from: curt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

Antibiotics are the only cure for my sinus infections.

Comment from: Val, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have had sinus trouble for years and usually it ends up as a severe ear infection that requires heavy-duty (and expensive) antibiotics to clear up. This past year, I have used a neti pot religiously and have not had one sinus or ear infection. I got the neti pot or about $13 and I use it 2 or 3 times a week. I compare that to a $500 for 10 pills. Forget that. I'll keep using my neti pot.

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?