Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: get knowledge b4 dr., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am from Kolkata, India. My sinus poblem is acute as I read the whole detail in this web page. The very next day, I followed the suggestions and I became better very soon. My local doctors gave me a diagnosis that turned out to be a huge waste of money. Thanks for the useful information. I request your viewers to please go through the web for suggestions. You might not even need a doctor.

Comment from: Newsonct2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had sinus infections for most of my working life. I had an immunology test taken and I have what is called IgA deficiency, which has to do with the mucous membranes in your body. When the specialist told me about it I asked him what we can do about it and he said nothing. I have to take a test every few years and if I ever need to go into a hospital I have to let them know about this because I would need much stronger antibiotics to take care of any problem I may get with my intestines or sinus cavity. So if you keep having these sinus infections ask to have the test taken so you will know the reason why you are so susceptible to chronic sinus infection.

Comment from: mavander, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

Omnaris nasal spray and cefuroxime have been effective for my sinus infection.

Comment from: Diana M., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My 10-year-old child had a recurring sinus infection. She was on nasal spray therapy (Nasonex) for her rhinitis. Because of her monthly basis of sinus infections, her pediatrician recommended that she use a saline solution spray every day, even if she has no symptoms at all. I found this to be effective, for it has been four months now and her sinus infection has not recurred.

Comment from: Zambales, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

My case is almost similar to the one published last July except that mine is on the left side maxillary sinusitis. I woke up with pain on the whole left side of my face and observed it for a day and tried to figure out if it was dental or sinus problem. I went to see a doctor the following day and had 4 x-rays taken and found out that my left nasal cavity was filled with mucous that couldn't escape or drain. He prescribed Klaricid 500 mg once a day and clindamycin 300 mg. 3 times a day and it's been 3 days now and the swelling has subsided. I live in the Philippines and this is the first time it happened to me. Usually, just minor allergies and sinus problems, but never this painful swelling.

Comment from: Mohd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

It has been three days my right side jaw, eye and head ache because of sinus infection. I had pain killer and paracetamol tablets but it is still the same pain.

Comment from: Jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

After six months of severe breathing problems, I think it may have been as simple as sinus congestion. After only two days of saline wash and Afrin, I feel like I can breathe again. Could it be this simple?

Comment from: Mel13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I've had sinus infections almost every year since I was a teenager. The one thing that has helped me most is to recognize the signs that a sinus infection is turning bacterial. It helps that my current primary care doctor has recognized the link between my sinus problems and hay fever and takes the attitude that I should not be suffering from either. Find a good primary care doctor, and work with him or her.

Comment from: Quacker , 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 15

Clarithromycin works for me.

Comment from: Mamabear09, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Started working in the main post office two months ago, and within two weeks got eye infections. I went to eye dr. He said it was caused by allergy possibly to the environment. The infections cleared up and I went back to work got infections again. The doctor gave me eye drops to put in eyes daily. Last week started sneezing, coughing, with a sore throat and teeth pain. I went to the doctor and I now have a sinus infection and an ear infection. I think it's working in a very dusty environment. I have no known allergies but obviously there is something there that is causing these infections. I'm on antibiotics now but afraid when I go back to work this will be an ongoing battle.

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?