Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: john, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I suffer from headaches behind the eye and one side of my head. Sudafed helps

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am being treated for a sinus infection, 2000mg of amoxicillin for 10 days and fluticasone propionate nasal spray. I hope it clears it up. I have never used a netipot or anything similar. I have considered it but have not yet mentally got past the gross factor. My nostrils have been so sore and raw feeling. I have been using the saline spray but that wasn't enough so lately I have been applying olive oil on a Q-tip to the inside of each nostril.

Comment from: BB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I have suffered from sinusitis for years. I currently have one now. I have been on amoxicillin and Z-Pac and Allegra D for two weeks. Nothing has worked and I am miserable with headaches, sore throat, cold sensitive teeth.

Comment from: kumar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I am a patient with sinusitis. I consulted many doctors and tried many nasal sprays and medicines, and all preventive measures, but nothing helped me. There are two things which helped me. First nasal irrigation with lukewarm saline water, and second: drops of vegetable oil (fat) in the nose. I am quite relieved now, but nasal irrigation has to be done daily. It cleans out the hard mucus and opens nasal passages where as vegetable fat helps to retain moisture in my nasal passages.

Comment from: Desperate, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have all of the symptoms of sinusitis, but also have a feeling of fullness in my ear. I have had three rounds of antibiotics. Nothing has seemed to alleviate the headaches, tooth pain, or ear ache.

Comment from: curt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

Antibiotics are the only cure for my sinus infections.

Comment from: Val, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have had sinus trouble for years and usually it ends up as a severe ear infection that requires heavy-duty (and expensive) antibiotics to clear up. This past year, I have used a neti pot religiously and have not had one sinus or ear infection. I got the neti pot or about $13 and I use it 2 or 3 times a week. I compare that to a $500 for 10 pills. Forget that. I'll keep using my neti pot.

Comment from: Emma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I've been a sinus sufferer for 20 years now. I've tried all of the over-the counter medications as well as prescribed as well as herbal remedies to no avail. Then I saw the neti pot, so I gave it a shot and it works wonders!

Comment from: mhoeff1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

The things that have been the best for sinus infections have been antibiotics and the use of the neti pot. I get sinus infections every year.

Comment from: Ben Winrich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I have had a sinus infection since Aug of 2009. .My ENT told me that all 8 cavities were infected with evidence of fungus also. I had polyps removed and a deviated septum. I am one week post-op and feel much better. The main reason for that is the use of a neti pot. I feel as though this little contraption saved my life to a degree. Regardless of symptoms or not I will continue the use of nasal irrigation for life since now I know the benefits this one little thing can bring. My concern is that during the irrigation I am still getting the yellowish substance and blood that the doctors said was the infection. I have been on medications for 7 days since the surgery. For all of you who suffer from this, please consider using the nasal irrigation. It is not the most pleasant thing to do but for a small amount of time can bring much needed relief.

Comment from: mynond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

After a Z-pack, OTC decongestant, nedi pot, nasal spray and Advil, the thing that helped the most was putting a towel over my head and breathing steam with Vaporub in it. It finally got things to start loosening up and helped relieve the pressure. I steamed every hour for 4 hours and then every 2 hours after that.

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?

Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) - Surgery

Please share your experience with sinus surgery.

Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) - Experience

Please share your experience with sinus infections or sinusitis.