Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: Emma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I've been a sinus sufferer for 20 years now. I've tried all of the over-the counter medications as well as prescribed as well as herbal remedies to no avail. Then I saw the neti pot, so I gave it a shot and it works wonders!

Comment from: mhoeff1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

The things that have been the best for sinus infections have been antibiotics and the use of the neti pot. I get sinus infections every year.

Comment from: Ben Winrich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I have had a sinus infection since Aug of 2009. .My ENT told me that all 8 cavities were infected with evidence of fungus also. I had polyps removed and a deviated septum. I am one week post-op and feel much better. The main reason for that is the use of a neti pot. I feel as though this little contraption saved my life to a degree. Regardless of symptoms or not I will continue the use of nasal irrigation for life since now I know the benefits this one little thing can bring. My concern is that during the irrigation I am still getting the yellowish substance and blood that the doctors said was the infection. I have been on medications for 7 days since the surgery. For all of you who suffer from this, please consider using the nasal irrigation. It is not the most pleasant thing to do but for a small amount of time can bring much needed relief.

Comment from: mynond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

After a Z-pack, OTC decongestant, nedi pot, nasal spray and Advil, the thing that helped the most was putting a towel over my head and breathing steam with Vaporub in it. It finally got things to start loosening up and helped relieve the pressure. I steamed every hour for 4 hours and then every 2 hours after that.

Comment from: hsladyrose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

As someone who gets sinusitis a couple of times a year, I have found that the most effective treatment has been using the neti pot, for a nasal saline irrigation, along with the use of Mucinex-D and the antibiotic ZPak (3 or 5 day).

Comment from: Pete, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

An over the counter Sinus Rinse product such as Neil Med Sinus rinse (sold at CVS) was helpful to me. For months, I had a terrible blocked/stuffy feeling going into the ears and my eardrums were always trying to equalize the pressure. Immediately after using the rinse, it felt much better. After a few days, the symptoms were almost totally gone.

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?