Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: healthyagain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

Amoxicillin with Clavulin cleared up a sinus infection I had for seven years. Eight doctors later, I finally found a doctor who gave me what I needed to be healthy again. I also use a nasal rinse, which I balked at first, but now find daily relief from it.

Comment from: Auma O., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I was once diagnosed with sinus infection and I was about to be operated but a man came to my rescue. He gave me a drug called sinus rinse, I used it for ten days and I got well. After one year the infection reappeared and I didn't have the drug at that moment and my friend had gone back to his country, so I gave him a call and he told me to use hot water and salt and I did it and it works. I am encouraging those who have this infection to try it because sometimes you may not have enough money to buy the drugs. Like in Kenya I have been looking for the sinus rinse but there is no drug. I have been living with it for the last 8 years and I can manage it myself thanks to my friend.

Comment from: Panny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Getting to the age where sinus infections were seemingly chronic, every time I got run down I got one. But I don't like to take antibiotics. I've tried Sinus Relief by Nature's Rite and found that it can be nipped in the bud by doing saline sinus rinse twice a day and the sinus rinse as directed (every 30 minutes) being careful to get it way in the sinuses. It stings really bad initially when it's reacting with the sinus bacteria, but then it doesn't hurt as much. After about 8 hours of this therapy symptoms abated and went away. One time it did not work when I had waited until a deep infection had set in.

Comment from: former sufferer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I used to have sinus infections several times a year. No more. What helped me was simple, and fairly inexpensive. The first thing was a longer than normal course of antibiotics (ampicillin in my case). I took these for 20 days instead of the normal ten. Why? Because evidently in ten days the infection would still be lurking, although symptoms were no longer present. Then a month later it would have gotten to the point of looking like another infection. I believe I was just having one long infection that was never completely cured. My doctor agreed with me and allowed me the longer Rx. The second thing was to do saline rinses of my sinuses. Yeah, they are kind of gross, but wow, worth it. I did the one with the water pik and the special tip (grossan sinus irrigator tip). I made a solution of a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking soda, in warm water. If you want the exact formula, you will have to google it. You can also get more complete instructions if you need them. While still infected, I did this rinse morning and evening. Once the infection subsided, I did this daily for a while. Eventually, I was able to leave it off. Now, I begin to use it immediately and daily upon the smallest signs of a cold, to keep it from developing into a sinus infection. There is a less expensive version of this treatment that I use when my water pik isn't available, like when I'm traveling. You can use one of those little suction bulbs that are used to clean babies noses. Just fill the bulb with the saline solution and squirt it in each nostril. Works pretty much the same as the water pik, except you don't have the pulsing action. A sinus infection is extremely rare for me now that I do this. I think I've had one or two in the last ten years, while I used to have them 4-6 times a year.

Comment from: stevef, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I found some stuff that kills fungus and bacteria that you really ought to try. You just spray it in your nose and WOW, it got rid of my nasty sinus infection in about a week. I had tried antibiotics that were specifically prescribed for my sinusitis and I also tried a neti pot (yuk) but just couldn¡¦t get this sinus infection to quit. So I did a search and found this stuff (Sinus Relief) from Nature¡¦s Rite. The only problem is that you have to spray it every 30 minutes. I thought, hey, what the heck, it¡¦s worth a try and every 30 minutes isn¡¦t too bad. I was really surprised how well it worked so I bought their sinus support too. It¡¦s been a good moisturizer with calendula and aloe. It¡¦s herbal ya know. I like herbal stuff. So anyway, you should try this for your sinusitis. It won¡¦t make you have a yeast infection afterward like some antibiotics do.

Comment from: dmg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I found the article about sinusitis very much in depth and reassuring. However, even though it mentioned saline nasal sprays, it did not talk about them in any depth, nor did it mention "nasal washes" which my doctor suggested. I've been using NeilMed sinus rinse which is available in drug stores over the counter, and consists of a plastic bottle into which you put 8 ounces of warm water and add a packet of a finely ground mixture of salt and soda. Compressing the bottle while holding it to one nostril gently forces this mixture into the nasal cavity and out the other nostril. This is obviously a much larger quantity of saline solution than the sprays. So far, over the past week it has helped reduce the amount of mucus and provide some comfort, but not completely cure my long term chronic sinus infection. I am now taking azithromycim (Z-Pak, 250 mg, 6 pills over 5 days.) We'll see if that does the trick for this 6 month low grade infection.

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?

Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) - Surgery

Please share your experience with sinus surgery.

Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) - Experience

Please share your experience with sinus infections or sinusitis.