Viewer Comments: Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

Comment from: former sufferer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I used to have sinus infections several times a year. No more. What helped me was simple, and fairly inexpensive. The first thing was a longer than normal course of antibiotics (ampicillin in my case). I took these for 20 days instead of the normal ten. Why? Because evidently in ten days the infection would still be lurking, although symptoms were no longer present. Then a month later it would have gotten to the point of looking like another infection. I believe I was just having one long infection that was never completely cured. My doctor agreed with me and allowed me the longer Rx. The second thing was to do saline rinses of my sinuses. Yeah, they are kind of gross, but wow, worth it. I did the one with the water pik and the special tip (grossan sinus irrigator tip). I made a solution of a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking soda, in warm water. If you want the exact formula, you will have to google it. You can also get more complete instructions if you need them. While still infected, I did this rinse morning and evening. Once the infection subsided, I did this daily for a while. Eventually, I was able to leave it off. Now, I begin to use it immediately and daily upon the smallest signs of a cold, to keep it from developing into a sinus infection. There is a less expensive version of this treatment that I use when my water pik isn't available, like when I'm traveling. You can use one of those little suction bulbs that are used to clean babies noses. Just fill the bulb with the saline solution and squirt it in each nostril. Works pretty much the same as the water pik, except you don't have the pulsing action. A sinus infection is extremely rare for me now that I do this. I think I've had one or two in the last ten years, while I used to have them 4-6 times a year.

Related Reading: ampicillin

Comment from: stevef, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I found some stuff that kills fungus and bacteria that you really ought to try. You just spray it in your nose and WOW, it got rid of my nasty sinus infection in about a week. I had tried antibiotics that were specifically prescribed for my sinusitis and I also tried a neti pot (yuk) but just couldn¡¦t get this sinus infection to quit. So I did a search and found this stuff (Sinus Relief) from Nature¡¦s Rite. The only problem is that you have to spray it every 30 minutes. I thought, hey, what the heck, it¡¦s worth a try and every 30 minutes isn¡¦t too bad. I was really surprised how well it worked so I bought their sinus support too. It¡¦s been a good moisturizer with calendula and aloe. It¡¦s herbal ya know. I like herbal stuff. So anyway, you should try this for your sinusitis. It won¡¦t make you have a yeast infection afterward like some antibiotics do.

Comment from: dmg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I found the article about sinusitis very much in depth and reassuring. However, even though it mentioned saline nasal sprays, it did not talk about them in any depth, nor did it mention "nasal washes" which my doctor suggested. I've been using NeilMed sinus rinse which is available in drug stores over the counter, and consists of a plastic bottle into which you put 8 ounces of warm water and add a packet of a finely ground mixture of salt and soda. Compressing the bottle while holding it to one nostril gently forces this mixture into the nasal cavity and out the other nostril. This is obviously a much larger quantity of saline solution than the sprays. So far, over the past week it has helped reduce the amount of mucus and provide some comfort, but not completely cure my long term chronic sinus infection. I am now taking azithromycim (Z-Pak, 250 mg, 6 pills over 5 days.) We'll see if that does the trick for this 6 month low grade infection.

Comment from: get knowledge b4 dr., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am from Kolkata, India. My sinus poblem is acute as I read the whole detail in this web page. The very next day, I followed the suggestions and I became better very soon. My local doctors gave me a diagnosis that turned out to be a huge waste of money. Thanks for the useful information. I request your viewers to please go through the web for suggestions. You might not even need a doctor.

Comment from: Diana M., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My 10-year-old child had a recurring sinus infection. She was on nasal spray therapy (Nasonex) for her rhinitis. Because of her monthly basis of sinus infections, her pediatrician recommended that she use a saline solution spray every day, even if she has no symptoms at all. I found this to be effective, for it has been four months now and her sinus infection has not recurred.

Comment from: Zambales, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

My case is almost similar to the one published last July except that mine is on the left side maxillary sinusitis. I woke up with pain on the whole left side of my face and observed it for a day and tried to figure out if it was dental or sinus problem. I went to see a doctor the following day and had 4 x-rays taken and found out that my left nasal cavity was filled with mucous that couldn't escape or drain. He prescribed Klaricid 500 mg once a day and clindamycin 300 mg. 3 times a day and it's been 3 days now and the swelling has subsided. I live in the Philippines and this is the first time it happened to me. Usually, just minor allergies and sinus problems, but never this painful swelling.

Related Reading: clindamycin

Must Read Articles Related to Sinus Infection

Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection:

Sinus Infection - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?