Skin Biopsy (cont.)
When to Seek Medical Care
Call your doctor if you have worsening pain, spreading redness around the site, bleeding from the wound, fever (temperature greater than 100.4°F), or other concerns.
Go to a hospital's emergency department if you have bleeding from the site that will not stop with gentle pressure
after 30 minutes, if you have a thick discharge (pus) from the wound, or if you have a high fever.
Medically reviewed by Norman Levine, MD; American Board of Dermatology
1. Alguire PC, Mathes BM. Skin biopsy techniques for the internist. J Gen Intern Med. Jan 1998;13(1):46-54. [Medline].
2. Arpey CJ. Biopsy of the skin. Thoughtful selection of technique improves yield. Postgrad Med. Mar 1998;103(3):179-82, 185-9, 193-4. [Medline].
3. Haugstvedt A, Larsen TE, Haheim LL. [Biopsy in non-neoplastic skin diseases]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. Mar 10 1998;118(7):1038-40. [Medline].
4. Leslie T. Skin biopsy: how to do it. Br J Hosp Med. Oct 1-14 1997;58(7):341-2. [Medline].
5. Lindsay G. Away from it all?. Nurs Times. Oct 11 1979;75(41):1775. [Medline].
6. Orengo I, Katta R, Rosen T. Techniques in the removal of skin lesions. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. Feb 2002;35(1):153-70, vii. [Medline].
7. Weisberg NK, Becker DS. Potential utility of adjunctive histopathologic evaluation of some tumors treated by Mohs micrographic surgery. Dermatol Surg. Nov 2000;26(11):1052-6. [Medline].
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/30/2014
Darilyn Campbell Falck, MD
Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Thomas Rebbecchi, MD, FAAEM
Must Read Articles Related to Skin Biopsy
Heat rash (prickly heat) is a red or pink rash caused by plugged sweat glands. Symptoms include welts, hives (urticaria), raised red bumps, or itching. Treatmen...learn more >>
Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. Initially, the virus causes chickenpox. The virus remains dormant in the body until the virus is re...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Biopsy: