Viewer Comments: Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin cancer.

Comment from: tedd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

My experience with malignant melanoma is 12 years long. I have a description of my experience which I would be glad to post, if it could be of help to other searching patients. I had 14 tumors last year and am doing very well right now with a "stable disease" as my oncologist worded it last week after MRI & complete CT series. I am on my 10th round of chemo right now and doing very well!

Comment from: vincent, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 53 year old woman. Being blonde and blue-eyed, I have very light skin. In my younger years, I played and worked in the sun a lot. I would describe my use of sunscreen as sporadic. My mother had skin cancers throughout her life; she had several incidents of squamous cell carcinoma. At least one time, she had a melanoma (on her nose). Recently, I tripped on some metal stairs and injured both of my shins. As they healed, they both produced hard and irregular scar tissue. The one on my left leg was painful to the touch, red, and had a raised "bump." So, I made an appointment with my doctor. After examining the spot on the left shin, he said, “This looks like a skin cancer and will probably have to be removed surgically." He referred me to a dermatologist. The dermatologist took biopsies of both spots and, sure enough, the lab report showed a squamous cell carcinoma on the left shin and a pre-cancer. (I can't remember the name). I just made appointments for the Mohs procedure on the left and a scrape and burn on the right.

Comment from: vincent, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Comment from: 1artist, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I had squamous cell carcinoma on my left ear. Interestingly, it is the side of my face exposed to the sun while driving. I live in Southern California spent extended time in the sun while sailing, biking, hiking during my life. I am 63 years old. It started out, in October, as a small, rough patch of skin on my upper ear. I would scratch off the "scale" and went weeks without noticing anything. Every time it would reappear, only a little worse. In January I noticed a bump which should have inspired me to see my dermatologist considering the fact that I had previously had several basal cel carcinomas removed over the previous 10 years. My first was when I was around 52. It was on my right forearm. Soon the tumor began growing rapidly and I knew I was in trouble. After contacting my dermatologist I scheduled surgery to have it removed. I had waited too long. About one third of the middle of my ear had to be removed including the cartilage. This resulted in having a plastic surgeon reconstruct the ear. The ear is smaller than the other and slightly deformed. Thankfully it did not spread to other parts of my body. I am convinced that early detection and seeking early intervention is the key to staying healthy.

Comment from: jb93, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I wish we could get young people to realize how dangerous all the sunbathing is, whether indoor or outdoor. I wish I had known the statistic for fair-skinned people when I was younger and lying in a tanning bed. I try to talk to people about the dangers, but much like I was, they are more interested in their appearance for now than what is a possibility for their future.

Comment from: agordanier, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just had MOHs surgery on my nose for basal cell carcinoma with Squamous Cell Carcinoma running over my nose and down over my cheek. It has been a very grueling experience. I have been told that my cancer has been removed, and I have a greater than 98 percent success rate. I am fortunate that my doctor is very good at what he does, and I am told that although my recovery will take 6 months to a year, the scarring will be minimal and the results will be very good. I am 45 years old and have very fair skin. I have always been careful about the sun because I burn very easily. I also live in Southern California. I pray this is the last time I will have to deal with skin cancer.

Comment from: Valter, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 09

My dad had Merkel cancer in 2007. He was 82 and a sun lover. It all started with a "cherry" on his check, which was removed with surgery. Unfortunately, the thing came back. I was given little hope. He did well on imiquimod; the results were impressive. He recovered and did well for more than one year.

Must Read Articles Related to Skin Cancer

Common Health Tests
Common Health Tests Common health tests may be performed in your doctor's office or even in the pharmacy. Regular health checks and screening for certain diseases and conditions ha...learn more >>
Mole Removal
Mole Removal Moles may be removed using excision and stitches or excision and cauterization. Risks of mole removal include infection, nerve damage, and anesthetic allergy. L...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your skin cancer?

Skin Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your skin cancer?