Viewer Comments: Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin cancer.

Comment from: LouLou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had a scabby spot on my hand which has grown marginally. It was tender. Today I saw my doctor and he tells me it is a non-malignant cancer and must be excised next week.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 08

My best friend died four days ago of melanoma skin cancer. It started as a mole on his back that was checked and found to be stage 4. It along with 3 lymph nodes were removed but his follow up care was sporadic at best. Two years later what he thought was a cold then lung infection was the beginning of his final battle that lasted less than two months. He went very quickly at the end BUT his story should be a book on why follow up care is so very important.

Comment from: tedd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

My experience with malignant melanoma is 12 years long. I have a description of my experience which I would be glad to post, if it could be of help to other searching patients. I had 14 tumors last year and am doing very well right now with a "stable disease" as my oncologist worded it last week after MRI & complete CT series. I am on my 10th round of chemo right now and doing very well!

Comment from: athlete, 55-64 Male Published: January 14

I have an open red spot on the right side of my forehead about an inch above the eye and to the side. I have had this for at least a year and it doesn't seem to heal. Will bleed sometimes and maybe looks flakey sometimes. If pushed on it, it is somewhat sore. It stays red nearly all of the time. It is about the size of a pencil eraser.

Must Read Articles Related to Skin Cancer

Common Health Tests
Common Health Tests Common health tests may be performed in your doctor's office or even in the pharmacy. Regular health checks and screening for certain diseases and conditions ha...learn more >>
Mole Removal
Mole Removal Moles may be removed using excision and stitches or excision and cauterization. Risks of mole removal include infection, nerve damage, and anesthetic allergy. L...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your skin cancer?

Skin Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your skin cancer?